Sweden offers a tax break when you repair an object instead of replacing it

Jeentonik

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...o-repair-not-replace-broken-objects-1.3800185

Sweden is introducing two new tax breaks at the start of 2017 — a cut in sales tax for repairs on small objects, and a tax refund for appliance repair costs.

"It's part of a greater strategy for introducing sustainable patterns of consumption in Sweden," Per Bolund, Sweden's deputy finance and consumer affairs minister tells The Current's guest host Piya Chattopadhyay.

"We see many signs that people want to make a difference, to try to be responsible as consumers. And from the government's side we try to encourage that."

The Butlers

In Toronto, fix-it shops like Butler's Appliance Repair in Toronto's east end are thriving.

"Right now we're doing a ton of repairs," says Craig Butler, the third generation in his family to work at the store.

"We're busier now than we've been in the past 10, 15 years. There's a big push on now to repair instead of throw out."

Fix-it shops, like the Butlers', used to be a fixture in every community and now politicians in Sweden have made it a priority to help them thrive again.

The Butler family says many of their competitors didn't make it through the lean years, when replacing rather than repairing was the norm. But these days, advocates, young and old, are trying to repair the fix-it ethos.

An enthusiastic community of amateur repair enthusiasts known as the "fixer movement" work at repair cafés. The cafés got their start in the Netherlands, half a decade ago, but they are popping up in Canada too.

RELATED: Start your own Repair Café
Repair cafes are not-for-profit groups with the goal of adding "repair" as the fourth "R", alongside reduce, reuse and recycle.

But there are young repair enthusiasts such as Kyle Wiens who sees profit in the fix-it business — though along a different model from traditional shops like Butler's Appliance

Wiens is the CEO and a co-founder of the website iFixit, which posts instructions for repairing everything from smartphones to alarm clocks, and also sells tools and replacement parts. He says that taking objects apart and repairing them can help us understand the world — but that some manufacturers stand in the way of the fixer movement.

"The manufacturers have realized that repair maybe takes business away from buying new products," says Wiens.

"A few manufacturers are really proactively trying to prevent people from fixing things."

Listen to the full conversation at the top of this web post.

This segment was produced by The Current's Karin Marley.

repair cafe Hart House

Repair cafés include fourth "R" alongside reduce, reuse and recycle. (Pratik Bassi)
Do you repair your smartphones, blenders and radios? Or is it too intimidating to try?

We'd love to hear from you. Send us an email. Find us on Facebook, or tweet us @TheCurrentCBC.

MORE STORIES FROM THIS EPISODE

Haiti desperate for aid in Hurricane Matthew aftermath
Sweden offers tax breaks to repair — not replace — broken objects
Decades-old cold case investigated by David Ridgen finally closed
October 12, 2016 full episode transcript
FULL EPISODE
Related Stories

Repair Cafés provide a fix for our throwaway culture and some are popping up in Canada.Regina residents learn the fix-it ropes at 'repair cafe'Repair Cafés provide a fix for our throwaway culture and some are popping up in Canada.Repair Cafe encourages shift away from throw-away cultureRepair Cafés provide a fix for our throwaway culture and some are popping up in Canada.Get your broken stuff fixed for free at Regina's 'repair cafe'

This is very good stuff. If they had this here. I would probably get money back for the amount of stuff I repair lol. It's ridiculous the amount of stuff people throw out just because they don't know how to fix it themselves.

Its ok but 12% is no big deal either. If they sent the bill (full amount of the tax, not 50%) to the OEMs then maybe it would be a game changer.

I usually laugh at repair cafés but I was actually repairing my bike fender today a my local fablab. Couple of nice projects but way more geeks doing fake weapons or cosplay costumes than startups or real craftsmanship.

92f8b5f4b8c2f253ebcf643af8c734fb.jpg

Took me forever though, I'd rather work and pay for new if it wasn't discontinued since 1992

Cost me 5$ less to replace my printer instead of buying ink for it when it runs out. I'll have to see those refill places or order a kit online, might be even cheaper.

Cost me 5$ less to replace my printer instead of buying ink for it when it runs out. I'll have to see those refill places or order a kit online, might be even cheaper.

Costco is 10$ to refill. what kind of ink are you buying lol?

Les imprimantes neuve vienne souvent avec des demis cartouche.

3D printing has a big potential to help. Imagine printing your own small replacement parts for your various appliances.

Exemple parfait - les lave vaisselle.

Combien d'entre nous avons des paniers a ustensiles perces que les couteaux se ramassent dans l'helice en bas?

Combien vont les reparer les paniers vs en commander des neufs?

Combien vont carrement changer le lave vaisselle a sa premiere panne?

Combien d'entre nous avons des paniers a ustensiles perces que les couteaux se ramassent dans l'helice en bas?

lame par en haut!

La suède va me payé un voyage dans le sud cette année avec tout les réparations que j'ai faite sur ma VR.

justement le mien est de meme, mais calisse, 80$ pour un panier dans un lave-vaisselle de 10 ans acheté 189$ ? un peu stupide.

je vois bien les Liberaux enlever la TPS sur les reparations
je vois bien aussi Couillard inventer une taxe de 5% aussitot pour financer le recyclage des appareils irreparables ....

Mon moteur de miata pollue trop a cause de son age. Un swap LS serait effectivement un moyen de faire durer ma voiture encore longtemps.

je vois bien les Liberaux enlever la TPS sur les reparations
je vois bien aussi Couillard inventer une taxe de 5% aussitot pour financer le recyclage des appareils irreparables ....

Les entreprises financent déjà éco entreprise Québec, qui finance recyc-Québec, qui finance les municipalités

Back