Official BaT car thread

Possibly a new benchmark for clean ITRs.
6000 miles and clean.
1997 to boot- rarest of the years

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...ium=email&utm_campaign=bat_model_notification

when will the bubble burst?

Quand je regarde avec un oeil d'investisseur, jai de la misere a comprendre le but de garder une voiture 23ans pour "seulement" doubler la mise. Pout faire 6000 miles en 23 ans je presume que cetais un but d'investissement?!

Je trouve ca cool mais je n'arrive pas tant a comprendre le concept.

Agreed- its a bad plan to hope your car gains in value- unless you are dealing with Ferrari and low number super cars. Big money investment, big money return.

The sad part is that the ITR was produced with intentions of running-racing and enjoyment. This owner clearly didn't get that point. As I pointed out on BAT- I wish I had the coin to have 2 ITRs, 1 of them would be sitting and waiting like this one.

as I write- it just broke the all time benchmark for ITRs bids up to $70,500 now- and if RNM plays, it still will be the highest bid on an ITR to date

Quand je regarde avec un oeil d'investisseur, jai de la misere a comprendre le but de garder une voiture 23ans pour "seulement" doubler la mise. Pout faire 6000 miles en 23 ans je presume que cetais un but d'investissement?!

Je trouve ca cool mais je n'arrive pas tant a comprendre le concept.

If you could buy a legendary sports car, keep it in your possession, take it for a spin once a week, then sell it 20 years later for 4x what you paid, wouldn't you?

It's risky, but this guy is winning.

$70k with 7 days left... Crazy!

If you could buy a legendary sports car, keep it in your possession, take it for a spin once a week, then sell it 20 years later for 4x what you paid, wouldn't you?

It's risky, but this guy is winning.

$70k with 7 days left... Crazy!
I would rather have had 20 years and 200k of excitement and investments elsewhere with better return

Yeah, fair enough.

Curious though, which investments reliably get you ~400% over 20 years?

Where did you get 400%? Assuming cost of $20,000 400% would yield $100k. You are also forgetting carrying costs, 20 years of insurance, maintenance, plates etc. It's also got zero yield which makes it a negative carry. If one's horizon is decades you buy the S&P 500 (SPY) and forget about it. It was in the $80-$90 range in 1997 and it's $300 today, you'd be collecting 22 years of dividends along the way with zero carrying costs. Yield on cost would be around 10% which means your original investment doubles every 7 years on yield alone, not even factoring capital gains. Unless it's for a quick flip, buying a car or any investment that doesn't yield anything is just foolish.

Okay, you've sold me. 400% was just a number I threw out there since it seems this will go for $100k+.

I've always assumed guys that have cars like this have collections in the dozens of cars. It's not like some dude managed to scrape $25k together then locked the car away and drove a shitbox for 20 years waiting for his ITR to gain value.

Where did you get 400%? Assuming cost of $20,000 400% would yield $100k. You are also forgetting carrying costs, 20 years of insurance, maintenance, plates etc. It's also got zero yield which makes it a negative carry. If one's horizon is decades you buy the S&P 500 (SPY) and forget about it. It was in the $80-$90 range in 1997 and it's $300 today, you'd be collecting 22 years of dividends along the way with zero carrying costs. Yield on cost would be around 10% which means your original investment doubles every 7 years on yield alone, not even factoring capital gains. Unless it's for a quick flip, buying a car or any investment that doesn't yield anything is just foolish.
Yeah but investment banking doesn't have VTEC

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

How can the driver's seat be that worn with the equivalent of 5 months' worth of use? 3 curb rashed rims? Zero mileage reports on the CarFax...

About the ITR, cars can be investments but you can also look at it another way. Buy it, maintain it well, drive it as much as you want and if you keep it long enough you'll get a lot of your money back. Definitely not 100% if you include insurance, fuel etc. but most of it I would think.

Certain cars if you buy at the correct time can be investments, but probably worse than buying conventionnal investments but then again you can't take your investments on a sunday drive...

About the ITR, cars can be investments but you can also look at it another way. Buy it, maintain it well, drive it as much as you want and if you keep it long enough you'll get a lot of your money back. Definitely not 100% if you include insurance, fuel etc. but most of it I would think.

Certain cars if you buy at the correct time can be investments, but probably worse than buying conventionnal investments but then again you can't take your investments on a sunday drive...

De mon cote les voitures ont toujours ete un investissement et je pense que les voitures peuvent etre de bon investissement. Mais de la a garder 20 30 ans pour faire un 200% et mettre moins de 10k km dessus. Je trouve juste qui a de meilleurs investissements a faire. Mais bon comme cest deja mentionne avant probablement que le gars du itr a une panopli de voitures de collection et les poches bien garni aussi.

You are mistaking speculation with investment. Hoarding a car hoping it somehow or someway retains its value or appreciates after 1-2-3 decades is speculating. The car is a negative carry (costs you money each and every year) and yields nothing. Despite what you may think you really can't drive it too often because it's value is directly related to the mileage on the clock. Keep going for summer drives, value drops accordingly. A proper investment has yield and a positive carry (you get paid while holding it each and every year). Reality is we can thank the Federal Reserve and seemingly unlimited credit for the bubble in classic/used cars. Also BAT is pretty shady at times, bids go up $10,000 and more at a time mysteriously one the first day of an auction for no reason. You are correct though, you can't take an ETF or a duplex for a Sunday drive.

Back