87 or 91 : Which one do you use ?

goshko

Hey guys,

So I put 91 octane all summer in my sv650 but last night I decided to look into my owner's manual and it clearly states that the recommended minimum fuel octane should of 87.

So technically I can use 87 octane in my bike and save a few bucks (yes im cheap) ...

For some reason I thought all bikes required a minimum of 91 octane but I guess I was wrong.

Any of you use 87 octane in your bikes ?

87. Tried both, same gas mileage and just as smooth. Yamaha fz6

On the jdm bike I never tried 87, Because 18k rpm and I think normal gas in Japan is higher than 87

simple math, compression is usually high 12+:1, therefore you should always use premium

A Mazda 3 Skyactiv has higher compression than a BMW M3... Tuning is complex and you can't make the simple math high compression = high octane.

A Mazda 3 Skyactiv has higher compression than a BMW M3... Tuning is complex and you can't make the simple math high compression = high octane.

you kinda could, because compression is how much the piston compresses before spark, and octane is the gasoline's ability to resist detonation(premature spark). they are directly correlated.

simply put, mathematically higher compression necessitates a higher octane in order to prevent detonation. especially when motorcycles still don't have direct injection or anything liek that yet, the technology isn't there yet to use regular gas.

FZ-07, manual says regular, I put 87 regular 95% of the time. I feed it high octane on hot summer days if I intend to beat the piss out of it, for peace of mind.

No difference whatsoever in fuel economy or power...

goshko said:
I decided to look into my owner's manual and it clearly states that the recommended minimum fuel octane should of 87.

Tu as ta réponse... Tu gaspilles ton argent...

ktm SMC 690 : 91 seulement

kawa klr 650 : vieux gallon de gaz qui date de 5 ans que jpa sure si c'est du diesel, gaz a lighter, mazout, huile de canola, etc

you kinda could, because compression is how much the piston compresses before spark, and octane is the gasoline's ability to resist detonation(premature spark). they are directly correlated.

simply put, mathematically higher compression necessitates a higher octane in order to prevent detonation. especially when motorcycles still don't have direct injection or anything liek that yet, the technology isn't there yet to use regular gas.

Whatever, the truth is that most non euro bikes or with less than 150hp/l don't need 91 despite their higher compression ratio than most cars running on 91.

Back