1.8L 8V G60 with AEB Block - lots of pics

Northendroid

Hi folks:

Starting this thread build should someone like to try this hybrid build.

1991 Corrado PG block 1.8L 8V G60, little history car sat for four years ran but has an engine knock, oil light on, makes no power. Reading through previous owners paperwork two items come to light one is the car is bored to 83mm and the second is it went through a lot of head gaskets. Was going to rebuild the PG engine until I came across a brand new AEB block with crank and intermittent shaft installed. Was cheaper buying this block than it would have been to do the PG block re-work.

Will be using stock 81mm pistons with new rings, stock conrods bolt up to the AEB crank conrod journals:

Here is a list of mods that need to be done to the block to work with the PG 8V head and G-Ladder:

Biggest mod is the rear support bracket of the G-Ladder requires a 5mm aluminum plate welded to it, machined to the shape of the crank vent port and a port tapped for a #10AN fitting which will be routed to the the G-Ladder return. This will supply additional lubrication to the supercharger.

Rear G-Ladder support bracket:

Modified to fit in the area:

Drill thru block and tap this existing bolt hole to accept the G-Ladder oil return

Install a frost plug:

Install crank position sensor (not used - only fills the hole):

An AEG head gasket is used with the stock 8V head, the three rear oil journals which aren't on the PG 8V head will be blocked when using this gasket:

Purchased BBM Stage 4 chipped ECU, 3.5 bar FPR, 268/260 cam, 65mm pulley

The intermittent shaft gear is the same pitch as the PG distributor:

The distributor and oil pump must match, PG distributor gear/oil pump have a slotted setup, while the AEB setup has a spline gear and oil pump, either one can be used:

Nice work as usual. But so much for keeping it stock haha.

Also what will that Frankenstein motor bring to you? Higher compression ratio? Lower? Bigger displacements?

sent from your mom's bed.

Hey I know after being admit that I wasn't doing a swap LOL. I'll be the first to admit if you're looking for HP you ditch the supercharger, but that the part of this car that makes it unique.The goal here is to get the car back on the road sooner than later. Sticking with the stock 8V head, the chip, cam, FPR. 68mm pulley will give me more bottom (torque). The chip increases the rev limit to 6.2k RPM, deletes speed-limiting governor and re-curves timing/fuel pulse width. With the 68mm pulley it will boost to 16psi, the limitation is the max rpm that the supercharger can spin at 11,000rpm so you need to shift before 6,000 to keep it safe. The other draw back compared to turbo is the supercharger require rebuilding but what it does give you is tons torque from bottom to mid-range. It's described as "you could pull tree trunks out of the ground with this car". My long term build is a 1.8L 20V G60 which is why you see two block in the first picture. I also lucked out on that build, the guy I purchased the blocks from also had a brand new AEB 20V big port head.

Last edited:
The back of the rear G60 support bracket machined flat and a 5mm aluminum plate welded to the back of it:
Thanks to sdezego for photo!

Then it will fit like this, a hose is ran to the G-ladder return for additional oiling of the G60:
Thanks to sdezego for photo!

Took the 1.8L apart (out of the Corrado) today, found out why it had a knock

[video]http://vid1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff512/xbox360guru/1991%20Corrado/IMG_0733.mp4[/video]

Bearing is MIA :yikes:

Crankshaft is done, it also has a tight spot when spun:

Bearings from cylinder 2 and 1:

I'm glad I got the new AEB block to rebuild it :bigup:

Heureux de savoir que Les G60 ne sont pas mort du moins ici au Quebec :D

Je vais suivre ca avec interet! J'ai un 3G 16G VWMS alors je connais un peu sur le sujet si jamais tu as des questions.

Bonne continuation!

ouch that crank surface

Yeah I know no saving this crank, tight spot is most likely due to bad bearing as well. Will be taking it apart out of curiosity. I just ordered Megasquirt II for the Corrado, installing with the 1.8 20V. G60 swap. Have you done tuning on VW's?

Last edited:
Heureux de savoir que Les G60 ne sont pas mort du moins ici au Quebec :D

Je vais suivre ca avec interet! J'ai un 3G 16G VWMS alors je connais un peu sur le sujet si jamais tu as des questions.

Bonne continuation!

Nice build love that Golf! Did you purchase the 3G and ecu from VW Motorpsort?

When I removed the oversize pistons from the PG block though that the bottom skirt had came in contact with the oil squirters but looking closer looks like they may have been ground at the JE before delivery. They are all ground the same and seems at the same angle as well

Started cleaning the internals to be swapped into the brand new AEB block. Soak the pistons in Berryman Carburetor & Parts Cleaner for 24hrs carbon wiped right off, re-soaked for another 24hrs, all piston ring grooves are squeaky clean. Top of the piston not perfect but lot better then what I started with :)

Clean carbon on the other three pistons, took the G-lader apart no play in the bearings,cleaning the internal surfaces and inspected for damage and hairline cracks, all good :D

Last edited:
Bit of an update, took the G-lader apart no play in the bearings,cleaning the internal surfaces and inspected for damage and hairline cracks, all good :D
Heading to my local bearing shop and see if I can source the following for G-Lader rebuild. I'd rather start fresh and know what been replaced in the G-lader.

Viton Seals:

1 x NAK TCY 20.35.7V
1 x NAK TBGV 30.52.6V
1 x NAK TGR 30.45.6V
2 x NAK TGH1 30.42.5.5/6V

Bearings:

1 x F-A-G NU202E M1A Outlet Port
1 x F-A-G 6003 2Z C3 Front Intermittent Shaft
1 x F-A-G 6002C 2HRS C3 Rear Intermittent Shaft
1 x F-A-G 6304 C3 Inlet Port
1 x Torrington 10 689A Displacer
1 x F-A-G 310 74336 (small bearing on displacer)

Will follow up with availability and pricing.
Found a MK1 TT AWU intake manifold for the 1.8L 20V G60 build. Guy also had the phenolic intake manifold transition spacer.

Will need blasting and repaint:

Next item to find is a OBD-1 ABA throttle body.

Bought an AWU intake manifold for my AEB 1.8L G60 build, it came with phenolic transition gasket but was missing the small port metal gasket is #058129717D the correct part number?

Stripped:

Prepped:

Baking in the Oven :laugh:

Back