1.8L 8V G60 with AEB Block - lots of pics

More parts arrived for the Corrado:
Prothane Bushing Kit (new still in box from Vortex Member)
Center Caps for the Sebring Wheels
Diesel Geek - MK4 Shifter, Side to Side Bushings, Side to Side Super Slider
Phenix Engineering - MK4 Shifter Bracket Bushings
Piston Ring Gap tool - Can start putting internals back together :D

More progress on the Rado.
Yesterday I built a ghetto engine lift out of 2 x4, 2 x6 with a 1 ton cable puller :yikes: to swap out the old PG block with the new AEB block on the engine stand, while I had the AEB block on the lift installed the flywheel and used my flywheel lock tool and got the AEB crank bolt loose.
Safely on the engine stand without hurting myself or others LOL!

Had a stripped allen bolt that holds the harmonic pulley/power steering pump pulley to the crank pulley, bolt the assmebly onto the AEB block, drove a torxs bit into it held back the crankshaft at the opposite end and was able to break away the bolt :beer:

Installed the pistons into the AEB block:

All went well till I got to piston#4, notice the rod bearing cap was fitting right when I snug up the bolts prior to checking bearing clearance. Remove the piston only to find the skirt on the opposite side of the oil squirters now has a chip broken off *banghead* .The PG block doesn't have an impulse wheel so I know need to remove the crankshaft, impulse wheel and re-install everything. I'll be looking for another stock 81mm PG piston and some new cap bolts as well. Another hiccup in the hybrid build :D

Last edited:
Ordered main bearing bolts. M10x65 Part# N10263801 and ARP conrod bolts.

Will also need to get the big end of the conrod re-hone as per ARP instructions:

Dropped off the conrods and ARP bolt at the machine shop to re-size. Got the impulse wheel removed and everything retorqued.

Got the stripped allen bolt loose on last days off but had looked at the harmonic balancer, like I expected 25yrs old rubber is cracked so be replacing that as well.

Any suggestions? Fluidampr?

actual picture of the car?

Looks good from 15ft, but it was parked under a big pine tree for three years and sap imbedded into the paint. It not a colour you see much it's Light Grey Metallic P7Z.

In it's present state:

This is when the previous owner bought it, like to get it back to this condition eventually

Last edited:
Still waiting for the Conrod to get back from machine shop so prepped a bunch of parts for paint yesterday and today got the cylinder head prepped and painted. Using my wind driven side draft paint booth:

My drying area:

Cylinder head primed two coats of VHT etching primer, tried VHT Aluminum but wasn't a big fan of how it looked, so doing two coats of VHT Titanium Silver Blue then two coats of VHT clear coat.
Primered:

Yesterday took the alternator apart to see if it was worth rebuilding, ordered new bearing, voltage regulator and slip rings for https://www.aspwholesale.com/vehiclepartssearch.html

Also ordered two idler pulley from the UK was the cheapest I could find.

Installed new coolant flanges, new "O" rings and cleaned up the temp sensors. Cleaned up the fuel rail, injectors and bracketingFinished painting the valve cover and put it all back together ready to install on the block.

Temp sensors corrosion removed:

Last edited:
So got the conrods back from the machine shop today, started with piston 4 this time around since that one had the issue of the piston hitting the impulse wheel. Well the impulse wheel is out but now the piston is hitting the oil squirter.

So removed the crankshaft and measured what I need to clear the oil squirter measurement is 4.63mm

Last edited:
Also got my final offer letter from VW so appointment made at the dealership when I get back from work on July 20th. :run:

The oil squirter clearance issue in piston #4 is because it sits lower the the other three cylinders.

Drill 8mm hole through the block for oil return of the Gladder

Last edited:
Yes if they were looking for a way get more money I think it's going to backfire on them, I've already downloaded my pictures and transfered them to Flickr and closed my account. They ask why you're closing the account and told to go screw themselves that I'd rebuild my threads before I'd give them a dime. It suck but I'm not being held hostage and have to pay a $400 ransom to post my pictures. That is just bad business!

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing with this site compared to other I'm on is doesn't allow me to edit my post so I can fix the photo links. So need to re-start a whole thread. Does anyone know the owner of this site and ask if they can fix the edit feature so we can fix the photos?

I purchased a cheap bench top sandblaster and some glass bead media. Not 100% where I want it but in time I'll get part looking almost new. Two halves of the G-lader:
OunB7uA.jpg

Back