Ottawa va acheter 18 Super Hornet

Alain95i4

Banned
mesure interimaire annoncee aujourd'hui, 18 Super Hornet seront commandes chez Boeing afin de regarnir la flotte d'avions en attendant le remplacement definitif des CF-18

Gregster en dit quoi ?
moi perso je trouve que c'est une bonne idee

Necessary but I'm not sure how good this is long term. I think we'd have to see the cost of these super hornets, was Boeing desperate to get some orders so they could keep the line open?
Still doesn't solve the issue of the longterm replacement for the CF-18; i.e F35 or not. The pessimist in me thinks they'll have an open competition but the cards are stacked for the Super Hornet now since they'll score extra points for compatibility, given we just put in a firm order but the plane is almost 20 years old.

Aucun problème avec ça.

Les centres de maintenance d'avions militaires au Canada sont parfaitement à l'aise avec cette plateforme, y'a L3 et CAE qui développent plein de produits pour les moderniser, déjà des pilotes formés pour les voler.

C'est peut-être pas des avions qui vont être au top technologiquement dans 20 ans, mais c'est une alternative "cheap" pour remplacer les Hornets qui ont un airframe vieux et qui doivent absolument être remplacés.

Y'a beaucoup de gens ici qui n'ont pas l'air de comprendre que le Super hornet est juste une évolution du Hornet que nous avons... On sauve littéralement des centaines de millions en formations, en outillage, en pièces, etc.

Notre flotte est tellement vieillissante qu'on avait plus le choix de procéder ainsi si on veut se donner le temps de faire une véritable compétition entre les jet next gen et ainsi s'assurer d'acheter le meilleur au meilleur prix.

J'étais assez d'accord avec les politiques des Conservateur en majorité, mais d'avoir décidé d'aller de l'avant avec le f-35 sans aller voir ailleurs et comparer c'était vraiment un move de marde de Néocon qui voulait juste faire plaisir aux américains.

Avec tous les problèmes liés au F-35, j'aime mieux qu'on prenne vraiment le temps de magasiner comme il faut.

Anyway, n'en déplaise aux romantiques et nostalgiques de l'époque du baron rouge pis de Top Gun, les drones vont rendre ce genre d'avions pas mal inutiles.

Étirer la génération existante et préparer un vrai remplacement moderne, c'est bien plus sensé IMO.

Anyway, n'en déplaise aux romantiques et nostalgiques de l'époque du baron rouge pis de Top Gun, les drones vont rendre ce genre d'avions pas mal inutiles.

Étirer la génération existante et préparer un vrai remplacement moderne, c'est bien plus sensé IMO.

Aussi.

Necessary but I'm not sure how good this is long term. I think we'd have to see the cost of these super hornets, was Boeing desperate to get some orders so they could keep the line open?
Still doesn't solve the issue of the longterm replacement for the CF-18; i.e F35 or not. The pessimist in me thinks they'll have an open competition but the cards are stacked for the Super Hornet now since they'll score extra points for compatibility, given we just put in a firm order but the plane is almost 20 years old.

Considering the plane they're most likely to intercept is turning 65 next year; I'd say 20 years isn't a big deal.

Yes, I was referring to the turboprop TU-95 the ruskies send over every so ofen to dick us around.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Comes down to the eternal debate, what competencies does our Air Force need to have? We're never going to invade anyone.

So it comes down to meeting nato obligations, patrolling the north (which I think could be done in the near future by drones) and intercepting the ruskies. Truth is if the ruskies wanted to invade ain't shit we could do and Murica would get involved.

Considering the plane they're most likely to intercept is turning 65 next year; I'd say 20 years isn't a big deal.

Yes, I was referring to the turboprop TU-95 the russkies send over every so ofen to dick us around.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ChyXSQoYav4/hqdefault.jpg

I wonder why they keep these old turboprop when they got such a HUGE number of ballistic missiles. especially with their new ones that travel at like mach 6 with 14 warheads each. Every one of them is able to completely destroy an area the size of france/texas.

I wonder why they keep these old turboprop when they got such a HUGE number of ballistic missiles. especially with their new ones that travel at like mach 6 with 14 warheads each. Every one of them is able to completely destroy an area the size of france/texas.

My understanding is that ballistic missiles don't do so well at intel gathering!

Flying those planes makes a lot of sense for Russia. They get to monitor milary and civilian activities in the area and assess Nato response time for pennies on the dollar. I suppose they could use them in support of their submarine ops too.

They must be laughing their asses off whenever Norad sends the F-22s out of Alaska to intercept. Yeah, it's a cool plane. But it's way overkill and a waste of ressources ($) all things considered.
By 2013, the cost per flight hour was $68,362, over three times as much as the F-16.[205] In 2014, the F-22 fleet required 43 maintenance man-hours per flight hour.[203]

Each aircraft requires a month-long packaged maintenance plan (PMP) every 300 flight hours.[202] The stealth system, including its radar absorbing metallic skin, account for almost one third of maintenance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor#Maintenance_and_training

A 43:1 Ratio. Let that sink in for a second... (ratio is supposed to 12:1 at most according to the pentagon guidelines)

The F35 is more like a mesh network, on a stand alone basis not the best plane but a group of them with other weaponery is quite a different story

A F-35 Joint Strike Fighter just acted as the eyes and ears of a simulated U.S. Navy destroyer, providing data on a target the ship couldn't even see. With a combination of sensors and data networking, the new system will allow Navy ships and planes to cooperate in downing enemy missiles and planes at greater ranges than ever before.

L'option des Advence Super Hornet auraient été une belle alternative, mais je pense pas qu'elle est déjà disponible...

Back