Nail in tire!

Perso je crisserais une corde pour commencer

Jamais eu de trouble avec une corde. J'en ai meme une qui a duré 2 ans dans le flanc d'un pneu sur une de mes vans
j''ai tuffer moi aussi avec une corde dans le rond du pneus 4ans

meme j'ai vendu le set apres 5ans d'usure avec les rims 60$ sur kijiji et j'ai specifier le trouble !!!

mais j'ai pas fais le cave sur les routes aussi !!!

cord it or patch it this winter, fill air and monitor for about a week.
If not leak- install on car - monitor everyday for a week- if air tight, no worries.

Just pay attention if you track this tire as a cord will eventually wear through but a patch is more sure.

not sure i would feel confident lapping a corded tire haha

not sure i would feel confident lapping a corded tire haha

Back in the day- I ran my superbike in the street between events. When I got a nail, I always put a cord in. Once i forgot about it and went to the track. 125mph later - no issues- except when the trackside tire guy chewed me out for racing with a cord....lol he saw it when replacing my rubber before the final.
Another time more recently, I caught a nail in the same place as the OP on a brand new RA1 at Sanair- ( BTW Sanair has more nails per sq foot than Reno Depot). I stuffed a cord in on the spot and resumed racing- never had an issue.
Installing the cord- a good brand like Camel or othewise , is key.

Back in the day- I ran my superbike in the street between events. When I got a nail, I always put a cord in. Once i forgot about it and went to the track. 125mph later - no issues- except when the trackside tire guy chewed me out for racing with a cord....lol he saw it when replacing my rubber before the final.
Another time more recently, I caught a nail in the same place as the OP on a brand new RA1 at Sanair- ( BTW Sanair has more nails per sq foot than Reno Depot). I stuffed a cord in on the spot and resumed racing- never had an issue.
Installing the cord- a good brand like Camel or othewise , is key.

balls of steel detected

125mph with a sports bike on track with a cord

WHHHHAAAAA lol

maybe I just leave it for the time being? And drive it as is..

Its really not urgent, the cars in storage and the tires are just sitting. I did drive with the nail and it didn't seem to lose pressure, I only noticed it when I took the tires off to transfer them. I did try to remove the screw, seems pretty long and obviously you hear air coming out.

I'm not sure I would trust a cord,although I don't drive the car to hard.

It is only 250$ a tire but, I would have to go back to Pneus Rallye :cry:

Thanks for the advice guys!

J'ai fait mettre une patch à l'intérieur de mon pneu d'hiver percé dans le flanc, et ça tient #1. Et crois moi, le tacoma se fait assez brasser pour que si ça avait pas été bon une patch dans le flanc, ça aurait lâché ça fait longtemps !!
Mais c'est pas tout les garage qui ont la technique pour le faire, faut magasiner.

Tire is essentially scrap. Definitely WAY too close to the sidewall to repair properly and safely.

I'm a former tire technician, I'm not some random person saying stuff online. You're free to do what you want, but any proper shop won't touch it. You could be lucky and it might just be in the trear. I've had a few tires that looked terrible but the nail/screw didn't pass the tread.

Tire is essentially scrap. Definitely WAY too close to the sidewall to repair properly and safely.

I'm a former tire technician, I'm not some random person saying stuff online. You're free to do what you want, but any proper shop won't touch it. You could be lucky and it might just be in the trear. I've had a few tires that looked terrible but the nail/screw didn't pass the tread.

every technician has the right to an opinion.
Others may tried and tested and seen that a repair can work.

Thats what I'm afraid of,if the screw was closer to the middle of the tire I wouldn't be so hesitant to patch it but seeing as it so close to the side wall it might cause issues..I will go see a garage closer to summer time to see what they say.

Thanks for your input!

laisse la vis là merci bonsoir

I would assume I drove about 3-500 km with the nail in and I didn't notice a thing,tire pressure never went down..Leaving it in is one of my options,but first I will go see a garage to see what they say.

every technician has the right to an opinion.
Others may tried and tested and seen that a repair can work.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. It doesn't make it right though! As soon as a puncture is on the shoulder it's a no go.

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

As a technician I wasn't worried about the guy coming in saying "fix it I don't care", I was worried about the family in the minivan who were on vacation that he kills when the tire blows out causing him to lose control.

Things like that is why the shop I worked at was (and still is) a go to shop in Ottawa for many enthusiasts and motorsport people. Motorists often forget that your tires are the only thing keeping you on the road.

That's my little Saturday morning rant lol. We need to be conscious of the people sharing the road with us.

Hey bud- no need to rant, you have an opinion and that is OK.
In this case we are not talking about the family minivan. Looks like a sport tire and the OP is asking questions.

If he really didn't want to take any chance- he would not have posted and simply bought a new tire. However he is asking for opinions. In this case- I related 2 personal experiences of which I repaired successfully a tire that had similar location punctures and hey- I survived no issues.

Point being - you CAN repair a tire like that but its up to you to decide what you comfort level is- checking air pressure levels etc.
There is no black or white in this discussion- just opinions and trials.

Hey bud- no need to rant, you have an opinion and that is OK.
In this case we are not talking about the family minivan. Looks like a sport tire and the OP is asking questions.

If he really didn't want to take any chance- he would not have posted and simply bought a new tire. However he is asking for opinions. In this case- I related 2 personal experiences of which I repaired successfully a tire that had similar location punctures and hey- I survived no issues.

Point being - you CAN repair a tire like that but its up to you to decide what you comfort level is- checking air pressure levels etc.
There is no black or white in this discussion- just opinions and trials.

comme metionner plus haut, en reparant une crevaison sur le coter comme ca, le sidewall devais affaiblis (tu devrais savoir ca) meme principe qu'un flanc perser. peux etre que ton pneu que tu as réparé a été solide, peux etre que le sien ne le serra pas.

mon garage fais la meme chose que celui de headbanger, crevaison sur le bord du flanc comme ca ces un no go, installe ton spare le temps de recevoir ton nouveau pneu ou bien va dans un shady garage faire ca.

Back