R63 AMG engine rebuild, 57,000$ stfu take my money.

I did hear about this mythical grocery getter but wow.. less than 20k km and the engine goes kaput?... dang..

This guy had it for about 20k km, the vehicle already had about 150 when he bought it.

This is why $100,000 cars cost $20,000 on the used market once the warranty runs out... Also an extreme example of why modern cars are not built to last, just too expensive and complicated to maintain in the long term.

Inb4 Mercedes-Benz Allemagne lis l'histoire et decide de donner un nouveau moteur au gars...

Et lui font une offre de mecanicien chef directement

Encore mieux: Mercedes lui offre un moteur flambant neuf livré et installé directement chez lui... après qu'il aille fini de le réparer

But seriously at the end of the day, regardless of the motor and it's high power output, this car is still a fugly minivan..... and I would have to agree that the dealer price is 'effin epic, I am pretty confident you could fix or replace the entire engine for much less and without purchasing a lift, that is just ridiculous! Then again purchasing such an atrocity to begin with is just as ridiculous!

With that much mileage and the issue being VERY WELL KNOWN I would have did the bolts and head gaskets as maintenance first fucking thing. ARP makes bolts, Weistec has a nice package as well.

Yea dealers give out crazy quotes. They either don't want to bother dealing with you but there is also the liability issue.. I've seen some pretty crazy quotes such as the 23k in repairs on a C4S, 28k Clutch replacement on an M3, etc

With that much mileage and the issue being VERY WELL KNOWN I would have did the bolts and head gaskets as maintenance first fucking thing. ARP makes bolts, Weistec has a nice package as well.

Yea dealers give out crazy quotes. They either don't want to bother dealing with you but there is also the liability issue.. I've seen some pretty crazy quotes such as the 23k in repairs on a C4S, 28k Clutch replacement on an M3, etc
For jobs like a clutch, don't they have a book with the recommended amount of time to do it?

For jobs like a clutch, don't they have a book with the recommended amount of time to do it?

Yes. I use it often. Some jobs are overly quoted while others are like wtf. It's all about billable hours... To replace the engine in that Mercedes is around 15 hours, a tech at a dealer who does it often can prob pull it off in 10 hours. Remove, Rebuild and Reinstall is quoted at 50 hours.. Figure dealer rate now at Benz is most likely around 150$/hr

Last week I had a guy drop off his car, I called him back with an estimate stating x amount of hours and prices for parts. Anyone who deals with me knows I am very reasonably. Sadly this guy started arguing with me on the phone, I kindly told him to come get his car and take it elsewhere as I don't operate a charity.

Back