Donald John Trump is no longer president: what does it mean for you?

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/13/hunter-biden-resign-board-chinese-firm-bhr/3968481002/

Hunter Biden will resign from board of Chinese firm, says he won't serve on foreign boards if Joe Biden elected president
Nicholas Wu USA TODAY
Published 1:42 PM EDT Oct 13, 2019
In a statement released through his attorney Sunday morning, Hunter Biden, the son of Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden, said he would resign from the board of a Chinese company and pledged not to serve on boards of foreign companies if Joe Biden were elected president.

Hunter Biden had received criticism from President Donald Trump and Republicans for his work on foreign boards as House Democrats escalated an impeachment inquiry into Trump for pressuring the Ukrainian government into opening an investigation into Hunter Biden.

Trump has also said China should investigate Hunter Biden, though the Chinese government has said publicly that it would not.

USA TODAY has spoken to two dozen leaders and investigators in Ukraine who say Trump's accusations against Hunter Biden's work in Ukraine are baseless.

George Mesires, Hunter Biden's attorney, wrote in a statement posted on Medium that Hunter Biden had decided to resign his seat on the board of the Chinese investment firm BHR.

Mesires said Biden had not received any compensation for being on the board, nor did he receive any equity in it while Joe Biden was vice president.

"To date, Hunter has not received any compensation for being on BHR’s board of directors," Mesires wrote. "He has not received any return on his investment; there have been no distributions to BHR shareholders since Hunter obtained his equity interest. Moreover, Hunter played no role in directing or making BHR’s investments."

Mesires said Hunter Biden was going to resign from the BHR board by Oct. 31.

More: Trump's conspiracy theories thrive in Ukraine, where a young democracy battles corruption and distrust

According to Mesires, "Hunter undertook these business activities independently," never discussed them with Joe Biden, and "When Hunter engaged in his business pursuits, he believed that he was acting appropriately and in good faith."

Hunter Biden "never anticipated the barrage of false charges" from Trump, Mesires wrote.

If Joe Biden were elected president in 2020, Hunter Biden pledged "not to serve on boards of, or work on behalf of, foreign owned companies" and comply with all ethics and guidelines related to conflicts of interest, Mesires concluded.

Joe Biden has defended his son on the campaign trail and has said Hunter Biden would serve a visible role on his 2020 campaign.

"He's a fine man. He's been through hell," Joe Biden said of his son in an Oct. 3 interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network.

Published 1:42 PM EDT Oct 13, 2019

Why now? If he didn't anything wrong...why resign? on top of not getting any compensation. makes you wonder....thinking emoji.jpg

So the neocons who have shown they'll do just about anything to slander the opposition are slinging mud again. Shocking.

There's bias in the media? No way Jose!

Good thing we have this unbiased group speaking up for the "truth".

Shootout to my boy trump and the koch foundation for giving some blowhards the chance to play "journalists."

That's not a whistleblower. That's an activist that was planted there and led the discussions to get some damning sound bites. That's the worse kind of "gotcha journalism" and I use the term journalism loosely.

Last edited:
What did you think they used campaign donations for? Of course they do opposition research. No one is disputing that.
You want to pay an intern to read every public statement a person has ever uttered or posted online? Spin this afterwards? Fair game. Hire a private investigator to figure out what a person's lifestyle is like? Not as wholesome but still above board.

What's dicey is Trump's concept of boundaries, or lack thereof.

Meet with agents or representatives of a foreign nation to seek information that may have been obtained contrary to U.S laws (through hacking or espionage)? Yeah, I draw a line.

Who are the agents and representatives are you referring to? Can you provides names so we know who we're talking about? And of what foreign nation are you referring to?

The last couple weeks have been pretty good for Putin.

Got free military bases in Syria after the U.S left in a hurry (for no apparent reason)
Inserted a wedge between two NATO members and basically got free reign in syria. Very coincidental, no doubt.

Apparently the Kurds were somehow "worse than ISIS" and have "a lot of sand they can play with"

Trump is doing top level diplomacy with Erdogan at a 3rd grader level.

"History (...) will look upon you forever as the devil if good things don't happen. "
https://twitter.com/trish_regan/status/1184559361638748161
Such prose. Such eloquence. Much great unmatched wisdom.

The last couple weeks have been pretty good for Putin.

Got free military bases in Syria after the U.S left in a hurry (for no apparent reason)
Inserted a wedge between two NATO members and basically got free reign in syria. Very coincidental, no doubt.

Apparently the Kurds were somehow "worse than ISIS" and have "a lot of sand they can play with"

Trump is doing top level diplomacy with Erdogan at a 3rd grader level.

https://twitter.com/trish_regan/status/1184559361638748161
Such prose. Such eloquence. Much great unmatched wisdom.

The question is ´so what'? Americans soldiers are happy to leave the fight. Russia can have Syria if they want, so what? Then someone else will come fight Russia for Syria. Do you think American cares?

What do you mean left in a hurry, Trump said in 2015 he's gonna pull out of Syria, it's been 4 years since. Don't be surprised when he pulls out of Afgan, he also said that 4 years ago.

man I really feel for the Kurds. they got shafted in Gulf war I, and they're getting shelled now, but this is a positive outcome in a way.

The US is in a bad place in Syria. On one side you got the Russians and Syrians. On the other you have the Turkish, who will go after the Kurds no matter what; it's only a matter of time. There are currently under 100 US troops with the SDF right now. They won't stop the Turkish army. Does the USA want to spend a few hundred million sending troops and equipment and risk getting into a mini war with the Turkish over Syrian land? This would definitely strengthen the ties between Erdogan and Putin, and the US forces will definitely be trapped, will have to eventually leave while being pressed from all sides, and the Kurds would be left to their own device. This would be a lose-lose.

On the bright side, the SDF did the only thing they could and turned to the Russians. So now the Russians will have to get into it with the Turkish. But the Russians and Erdogan just signed a huge arms deal. This will either ruin that deal (read profit for USA) or the Russians will convince the Turkish to leave thus saving the Kurds.

This is another one of those cases of "who's really the bad guy". The Russians will save the Kurds from the Turkish, so they're not that bad in the end. The US cared more about ISIS than anything else, and that goal has been achieved. Obama said that will be a generational war. it turned out to be a 2 year deal with the official state, but it will go on for much longer with the nutcases that think it's still alive.

The question is ´so what'? Americans soldiers are happy to leave the fight. Russia can have Syria if they want, so what? Then someone else will come fight Russia for Syria. Do you think American cares?

What do you mean left in a hurry, Trump said in 2015 he's gonna pull out of Syria, it's been 4 years since. Don't be surprised when he pulls out of Afgan, he also said that 4 years ago.

Setting long term goals makes a lot of sense. How you go about achieving these goals matters too. "Because I said I would" doesn't mean you can just up and leave and not face the consequences. Doing so in a way that empowers ISIS isn't probably the best solution.

https://www.businessinsider.my/trum...-nightmare-everyone-warned-him-about-2019-10/

I've seen Russian videos from inside a former military base. I don't think they would have left all of these personal items behind if that was "part of the plan" all along.

How about that: https://www.businessinsider.com/us-...troops-advanced-2019-10?utm_source=reddit.com

Or a bi-partisan condemnation of the way the pullout was conducted by Congress?

Turkey was a pretty odd bedfellow for NATO. We got them in to spite Russia / for tactical considerations. / Regional influence. Next thing you know they're shelling positions they knew were occupied by U.S force and buying Russian S400s. Russia is laughing now.

The situation in Afghanistan is different. the Taliban have pretty much won. They proved that their ideology would outlast the west's resolve. It's just a matter of pulling out in a somewhat orderly fashion so they can go back to living like tribal neanderthals.

How the fuck is turkey still part of Nato?

The better question is, how is Turkey still trying to be in the EU.
NATO is an alliance to protect against communism basically. they'll take anyone, all you have to do is say the secret password (I hate the communists) and pay a membership fee.

Trump says yes, milliary advisers say no. I'll trust the guy on the ground.

You guys are contradicting each other. Has the US accomplished its goal of eliminating ISIS?

what I said is that the state itself is gone. ISIS controlled parts of several countries. now they control drug trade in camps and prisons. so that has been achieved, no doubt about it.
the ideology behind it is still there and there's no way to eradicate it. some random guy suddenly converts to Islam and boom, new attack (pun intended). It has turned into a war of ideology rather than a conventional trench war. ideology doesn't have borders, so it's hard to contain it. you can have 1,000,000 soldiers in every country where ISIS controlled territory and you still wouldn't kill ISIS. you can carpet bomb every country where ISIS used to have a hard presence and it's still not over because it's no longer about the territory in this case. for the SDF, Syrians, Russians and Turks it is about the territory.

what I said is that the state itself is gone. ISIS controlled parts of several countries. now they control drug trade in camps and prisons. so that has been achieved, no doubt about it.
the ideology behind it is still there and there's no way to eradicate it. some random guy suddenly converts to Islam and boom, new attack (pun intended). It has turned into a war of ideology rather than a conventional trench war. ideology doesn't have borders, so it's hard to contain it. you can have 1,000,000 soldiers in every country where ISIS controlled territory and you still wouldn't kill ISIS. you can carpet bomb every country where ISIS used to have a hard presence and it's still not over because it's no longer about the territory in this case. for the SDF, Syrians, Russians and Turks it is about the territory.

Got your point. If I understood correctly, I think in the quotes, you and kahos both were talking about physical ISIS presence, not the ideology.

Not sure if this will work but... lol what a clown politician.

Il c'est tellement fait rouler dans la farine par les Turcs. Je te gage qu'ils l'ont stratégiquement pogné au téléphone durant son "crash" de pillule.

https://twitter.com/Alyssa_Milano/status/1184909526186844160?s=09

ISIS controls territory: we'll fight ISIS with the Kurds.
ISIS no longer controls territory: They Kurds are on their own.
what you're saying is that Trump's USA army went in to remove ISIS from territorial control, did so and left. but of course, it has to be a problem because it's Trump. if it was Obama, he'd get another peace prize like he did after bombing 7 new countries.

You guys are contradicting each other. Has the US accomplished its goal of eliminating ISIS?

Once again you're looking for a black or white answer to a very nuanced question. They've certainly been contained geographically and their conventional military capabilities have been degraded to the point they're not a significant threat anymore. As an ideology? Not really.

Some argue that the U.S and their handling of Iraq was instrumental to the creation of ISIS. From that perspective, I believe it imposes a certain duty of care as they pull out from the region.

I think it's foolish to stick around forever and a day, but that they need to be mindful of the way the transition is handled. Stories of ISIS prisoners escaping because the Kurds redeployed their assets to face the Turks certainly doesn't bode well for the future. There has to be a way to ensure a more orderly withdrawal.

I don't think this was planned nor executed at a world superpower level. It's sort of embarrassing really.

Back