Donald John Trump is no longer president: what does it mean for you?

I meant it in general when reading the news, but if you want to go back to La Presse article what is wrong with it? 80% of it is just quotes and a statement of facts.

Besides maybe the title and the first paragraph that might portray Trump's relationship as closer than it is/was I don't see anything objectionable about how it's written.

That poor attempt to make connection is what's wrong with it.
But i get that for some, that might be what makes the article good

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

China's economic growth slumps to lowest in 27 years as the trade war hits

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/15/economy/china-gdp-growth/index.html

D_xXhjRXoAIlXsU

Trade wars are a lot like thermonuclear wars. They might be winnable but a lot of people are gonna get fucked.

Casualties are part of war and you can't undo decades worth of damage overnight. The vision here is long term I'm sure.

If you've got gangrene, you either cut off the limb and move on, or you continue to rot. Better to amputate and move forward than let yourself slowly die.

I would be concerned if the guy with the vision has clearly no understanding of how tariffs work and a hilariously wrong perception of international trade.

I would be concerned if the guy with the vision has clearly no understanding of how tariffs work and a hilariously wrong perception of international trade.

Clearly. You know a lot more about trade and business than the man that's been in it for decades.

How tariffs "work":
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/18/mor...production-out-of-china-due-to-trade-war.html

The pace of companies moving production out of China is accelerating as more than 50 multinationals from Apple to Nintendo to Dell are rushing to escape the punitive tariffs placed by the U.S., according to the Nikkei Asian review.

The trade war between the U.S. and China has dragged on for more than a year with 25% tariffs placed on $200 billion of Chinese goods. President Donald Trump is still threatening to slap duties on another $325 billion of goods. In wake of the intensifying battle, more and more companies announced plans or are considering shifting manufacturing from China.

Clearly. You know a lot more about trade and business than the man that's been in it for decades.
I am going to ask you a very simple question:
A chinese company sells a product in the US for 100$. The US applies a 25% tariff on the product. Who pays the extra 25$?
a-the chinese company
b-the US customer who purchases the product

Occam's razor:

The Chinese company, because if the price of the lower quality chinese product goes up, they will simply not sell in high volumes in the USA. Low volume would raise the shipping costs making China obsolete.

American consumers will end up purchasing american products WHICH IS TRUMP'S INTENT in order to Make America Great Again.

Anything else? That one was waaaaaaaaay too easy.

Or, if not American made (for now), the US has many options that don't involve buying from China.

I am going to ask you a very simple question:
A chinese company sells a product in the US for 100$. The US applies a 25% tariff on the product. Who pays the extra 25$?
a-the chinese company
b-the US customer who purchases the product

That is short sighted. How about neither. The customer will probably go out an buy an American made product at $120 that was previously 20% higher but it's now cheaper.

The goal of tariffs is always to favor locally made products.

https://www.lapresse.ca/internation...sciste-affirme-lelue-democrate-ilhan-omar.php

That's ^ funny enough on its own but the quote of the day - at least for me - goes to this guy:

Jeudi matin, un élu modéré du Grand Old Party a fait entendre sa différence : Adam Kinzinger.

«Je suis en désaccord profond avec l'extrême gauche et j'ai été dégoûté par leur ton», a tweeté le jeune élu de l'Illinois. «Mais je me suis réveillé ce matin dégoûté : les slogans "Renvoyez-la!" sont répugnants et feraient trembler nos pères fondateurs».

You mean your founding fathers the ones that brought in Africans SPECIFICALLY to use for slaves?

That is short sighted. How about neither. The customer will probably go out an buy an American made product at $120 that was previously 20% higher but it's now cheaper.

The goal of tariffs is always to favor locally made products.

So basically the customer is now paying 20$ more and there won't be any additional job creation thanks to automation. No wonder why government economic interventions always backfire.

Back