2017 Formula One season thread

. Even a B driver such as Nico won a championship.
stopped reading here. Nico was never a B driver. Sure, he didnt have the raw speed that HAM has, but Nico is the only driver to have beaten HAM to the title on equal cars.

Before saturday, Lewis never had a pole at suzuka. Do you know why? Because Nico beat him to the pole 3 years in a row ( 14-15-16). Please, educate yourself before posting such bullshit.

Inb4 Nico only won due to hamilton`s reliabilty problems.

stopped reading here. Nico was never a B driver. Sure, he didnt have the raw speed that HAM has, but Nico is the only driver to have beaten HAM to the title on equal cars.

Before saturday, Lewis never had a pole at suzuka. Do you know why? Because Nico beat him to the pole 3 years in a row ( 14-15-16). Please, educate yourself before posting such bullshit.

Inb4 Nico only won due to hamilton`s reliabilty problems.

Everyone knows Lewis lost the 2016 WC because of reliability issues, you choose not to believe it.

So, because Nico gets Pole 3 times in Suzuka and makes him the only real rival to Lewis. Give me a break.

If Nico had balls he would have stuck around in 2017 to defend his title but he chickened out because he was afraid of the 2017 cars and speeds. Nice champion indeed.

2017 will be the best WC for Lewis of his 4 titles. Hard fought, speed and he delivered when he had to. Cool under pressure.

For the first half we had a real championship then Vettel and Ferrari collapsed under pressure.

This is the strength of Lewis and Mercedes.

Everyone knows Lewis lost the 2016 WC because of reliability issues, you choose not to believe it.

So, because Nico gets Pole 3 times in Suzuka and makes him the only real rival to Lewis. Give me a break.

If Nico had balls he would have stuck around in 2017 to defend his title but he chickened out because he was afraid of the 2017 cars and speeds. Nice champion indeed.

What source told you that Nico was affraid? He said it very clearly. He just wanted A championship, like his father, and to spend more time with his young family ( he has 1 kid at the time, 2 now ). After you're champion against one of the best, you have nothing else to prove. you can retire and go on with a happy life knowing that you've beaten the best and they cant beat you back since you've moved on to better things.

You can also say that HAM lost in 2016 due to his awful starts, like japan where he ended up 8th at the exit of 2nd corner.

Nico and Lewis had a great title battle but Nico didn't have the fight in him for another championship. 2016 took a toll on the man He called it quits at the top. Very respectable

ALO still has the fight in him but he will never see another WDC..

Nico Rosberg is the least talented world champion in F1 history by a long way. As stated, Lewis lost the title because of reliability in Malaysia, Nico didn't have a single race breakdown all season.

The sport currently needs a major overhaul, the rules are comical, the penalties are a joke, development freeze is a joke, lack of testing is a joke, costs are through the roof, the hybrid systems have to go. Without DRS passing would be non existent even in these digital cars. Thy're so complex everyone except Mercedes still haven't figured out how to make the power unit work reliably. MB got the new cars figured out from the start in 2014 and have had a huge head start. The gap is closing but still a ways to go. With Formula E now a test bed for future road cars F1 can now move away from road car relevance and go back to a much simpler and much cheaper NA V8 or a V8 turbo. New engine rules are still 4 years away..

The rules are a joke, 100%. The teams are pushing hard for more engines next year as the rules changed to 3 power units? The development cost of the hybrid systems are astronomical which is what is keeping other manufactures from entering. Keep the current ICE but ditch the hybrid system.. The V8s at the end of it were reliable, super cheap and were all within 15hp of each other.

There should be spec aero parts on the car. Either the rear wing and floor or mandate a common front wing. Want to attract new teams? Introduce a budget cap.

I feel as Liberty progresses you will see change. However the FIA is still run by the old guard and Ferrari

The rules are a joke, 100%. The teams are pushing hard for more engines next year as the rules changed to 3 power units? The development cost of the hybrid systems are astronomical which is what is keeping other manufactures from entering. Keep the current ICE but ditch the hybrid system.. The V8s at the end of it were reliable, super cheap and were all within 15hp of each other.

There should be spec aero parts on the car. Either the rear wing and floor or mandate a common front wing. Want to attract new teams? Introduce a budget cap.

I feel as Liberty progresses you will see change. However the FIA is still run by the old guard and Ferrari

Budget cap in F1, will never happen because you have to open the books.

I agree that the rules are very complex however at the end of the day does F1 really care about their fan base?

The governing body wanted these rules to make F1 so-called "green" while alenianting fans. The aero package is by far the most complex. If you are fortunate to run in clean air your car performs well, as soon as you enter dirty air they loose too much efficiency.

They need to figure this out...

I could not watch a modern day F1 race without a PVR.

Agreed that Nico is not WDC material, the true test is to repeat the success, but he chickened out "at the top", in my eyes, it was at "the top of reliability", not racing.

As far as the state of F1 right now, they do need to simplify the regulations, designate areas where each manufacturer can go crazy aerowise, but leave most of the body\floor shape designated by regulations to control expenses, and yet give teams some design freedom.

Ditch the hybrid powertrains regulations, just give them xx amount of liters they need to use to finish the race, if they want to go with a 4banger, then go, v6? v8? v10? dont care, as long as you dont need to refuel, then we will see some interesting tech.

Am I the only fan of hybrid ?? OK now, of course i'd prefer cars with more displacement and louder/better sound but seriously, the regen/electric parts are insane from a technical point of view.
Technology is evolving and IMO it must be boring to build the same blocks than 20 years ago... These racing team engineers are amongst the best, it's a challenge for them too
Let's not forget reliability is key here: it's not about luck, it's skills (Ferrari is learning that the hard way) I have a mitigated opinion about the parts "quotas" and penality but whatever...

Anyway, before changing powertrain/aero rules etc, I'd rather take tracks with wider sections for overtaking... or full Nürburgring circuit (which will never happend for many many reasons...)
IMO the new management it going in a good way

Today's cars maybe be impressive from a tech point of view but from most fans perspective they are totally unimpressive from a racing point of view. Boring as hell, sound like crap and have way too much mechanical grip. The cars do not slide anymore and need more power. Of course, as with pretty much anything if you have nothing to compare it to, it will look impressive. The new engine rules were introduced to force manufacturers to make their engines more fuel efficient while also enticing new manufacturers to join the sport. Clearly with only Honda joining since 2014 this has been a failure while multiple manufacturers are joining Formula E instead. I wouldn't count V8's out, Ferrari and MB and possibly Aston Martin will have their say. To say 'same block as 20 years ago' is false, we've seen all sorts of innovations from, valve springs to pneumatic valves, over 1000hp from a 1.5L 4 cylinder, more exotic metals, and revs going from 12,000 to over 20,000 all with impressive fuel economy for a V8. A lot can happen until 2021, too soon to predict, but if manufacturers use Formula E as their road relevant test bed than you may see V8's again, F1 is the big leagues and needs to govern itself and not be ruled by the FIA as if it's just another spec series.

Today's cars maybe be impressive from a tech point of view but from most fans perspective they are totally unimpressive from a racing point of view. Boring as hell, sound like crap and have way too much mechanical grip. The cars do not slide anymore and need more power. Of course, as with pretty much anything if you have nothing to compare it to, it will look impressive. The new engine rules were introduced to force manufacturers to make their engines more fuel efficient while also enticing new manufacturers to join the sport. Clearly with only Honda joining since 2014 this has been a failure while multiple manufacturers are joining Formula E instead. I wouldn't count V8's out, Ferrari and MB and possibly Aston Martin will have their say. To say 'same block as 20 years ago' is false, we've seen all sorts of innovations from, valve springs to pneumatic valves, over 1000hp from a 1.5L 4 cylinder, more exotic metals, and revs going from 12,000 to over 20,000 all with impressive fuel economy for a V8. A lot can happen until 2021, too soon to predict, but if manufacturers use Formula E as their road relevant test bed than you may see V8's again, F1 is the big leagues and needs to govern itself and not be ruled by the FIA as if it's just another spec series.

The cars sound fantastic in person. The Honda PU is nuts.

This was posted today from Andreas Haupt

New engine rules for 2021 will be unveiled on the 31st

Regarding engine rules:
FIA and FOM jointly developed new engine regulations
V6 turbo with 2 electric motors (MGU-H and MGU-K) expected
many standardised parts to reduce complexity and costs
power output of over 1000PS together with reduced aerodynamics are supposed to make cars more difficult to drive, increased fuel flow, higher revs
second MGU-K at the front axle wouldn't have generated enough electric power to offset weight increase
FIA and FOM want to avoid lengthy arguments
changes can be requested, but only if reasons are provided
reasonable requests will be considered, categorical refusal to accept certain concepts will be ignored

Regarding decision making processes:
Strategy Group and F1 Commission will cease to exist
FIA and FOM want to be able to react quickly without lengthy arguments in commissions and teams trying to push for regulations that suit them
to be independent of teams' opinions, Ross Brawn has put together a group of engineers to evaluate technical rule changes with regards to lap times and sensibility to dirty air

Regarding budget cap:
budget cap is supposed to be ready for 2019
costs are to be reduced gradually so that big teams can adapt slowly
every team will be assigned at least one overseer
most difficult task will be to convince teams that budget cap enforcement is watertight

"New engine rules for 2021 will be unveiled on the 31st"

providing a new business and R&D model; marketing and market research, possible transition/adaptation to mass production street cars ?

The cars sound fantastic in person. The Honda PU is nuts.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and it is subjective. I personally think they sound like farting vacuum cleaners and are not suitable for what is marketed as the 'pinnacle' of racing. F1 has a problem when a GP2 car sounds better and races better too. How on earth can anyone compare this to the V8-V10-V12 or even the turbo era baffles me. Even the 4 cylinder turbos from the late 80's sounded like a V8.

Cant wait to see those changes, I hope it'll bring F1 to another level.

Probably bring it to a new level of boredom. F1's golden era passed long ago. What you have now is a sterilized spec series of good looking multi million dollar machines. It will be more of the same if the proposed comes to pass I see very little difference from the present, the current rules have been a failure and have dropped fan support. Thank goodness for Max V putting people in the stands in the European rounds, especially Spa. Empty stands at Suzuka? Wow, there used to be a lottery system to get a ticket demand was so high. Now that all the tracks have been chopped up and sterilized, the challenge removed, all the backmarkers penalized if they don't leap out of the way, the new rules keeps the stats quo of digital race cars and one step closer to being autonomous. Surprised I see no mention of AWD. Thank goodness for MotoGP.

Back