High grip daily summer tire ?

cobrAAA

Shop Representative
What I'm looking for ;

-I don't track, but I love a high grip tire
- Can withstand at least 30 000 kms of daily driving.
- Needs to be able to handle any type of rain ( little to pouring rain) Of course, I will be careful in those situations, but I cannot refuse to take the wheels just because it's raining.
- Not too noisy. ( I will explain later)

I drove on Dunlop Direzza Z2 star Spec ;

- Very nice grip
- Fine in the rain, never felt I was in danger
- Wear was OK, sold the car before, but I'm pretty sure I would've been able to do 30 000 kms on them.
- PROBLEM ; It was noisy, you know the kind of sound a tire would make if you were on a slow leak ? This tire would get me paranoid thinking I was constantly driving on a leak and would end up loosing control of my vehicle..

Then, I tried the Michelin PSS ;

- I can feel the grip is least than the Z2 and get some tire spin at launch, but overall it's still a pretty good grippy tire, don't get me wrong !! Much better than other high performance summer tried I tried.
- Has a 30 000 miles warranty from Michelin so I'm pretty sure they could last close to 50 000 km
- Pretty good in the rain, never had a problem either.
- Pretty silent too.

Somes have recommended me the RE-71r.. I'm also tempting to try the new updated PSS version. Any thought ?

Back then when I was shopping for the Z2, I remember reading that they were the best daily tire to use for this kind of category. So i'm wondering if (1) this category (200treadwear) improved over times ? (2) if there's some tire between the 200 category and the PSS ( 300 treadwear) ?

Thanks for the input.

i could try the RE-71r, or you could try the new hankook ventus rs4

R888R is a very noisy tire on the road, broken wheel bearing noise style, not an option for a daily driver.......for me at least

You can't get a better all-around tire with as much grip as to the PSS. If you want more grip, you'll massively sacrifice wet traction, comfort, and NVH...

Maybe consider the new Pilot Sport 4S that will be arriving soon. It is supposed to gradually replace the PSS. Only downside is limited size availability this year.

Based on the tires you have tried and what you are expecting, the new Michelin replacement for the PSS is your winner.

The Re71r will net you less than 10K and the RS4 should do about 20K.... these are disguised track tires.
R888 is not a street tire and it sucks in all ways.

Personally , I have never liked anything Michelin but I am super impressed with the PSS and would be hard pressed to think of anything better for what you are asking it to do.

Depends on your objectives but if you don't track, unless you want to throw your money, give a shot at the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (Bridgestone RE003). They have very good reviews and are available in many sizes.
I'm going to try some this summer.

I personnally think that a PSS is overkill on a street car that never sees track.

Depends on your objectives but if you don't track, unless you want to throw your money, give a shot at the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (Bridgestone RE003). They have very good reviews and are available in many sizes.
I'm going to try some this summer.

I personnally think that a PSS is overkill on a street car that never sees track.

i have them, and i like them on my golf R. but i know cobraaa. not his style.

wont even last 5k lol and those are drag radial style tire. cobraa is more nt01 style.
Bon dans ce cas là je roule des NT01 dans la rue/track. Je suis rendu à 10k dessus avec environ 4-5 track days.

Go big or go home.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at it. Aucun doute Shyzo me connait bien :p

Mais vous semblez confirmer ce que je pensais ; ya rien qui peut vraiment offrir un NVH similaire au PSS avec plus de dry grip (Je serais prêt à sacrifier du wet grip et de la longévité pour obtenir cela, mais considérant que je fais environ 10k par été, j'aimerai bien que le pneu dure 2-3 été)

Toyo r1r? C'est quand même un vieux pneus, mais j'ai ça sur mon m3 en ce moment et je suis quand même impressionné de sa performance dans toutes les conditions.

Juste la longévité que tu atteindra probablement pas. Je dirais peut être 20-25k en daily driving

Toyo r1r? C'est quand même un vieux pneus, mais j'ai ça sur mon m3 en ce moment et je suis quand même impressionné de sa performance dans toutes les conditions.

Juste la longévité que tu atteindra probablement pas. Je dirais peut être 20-25k en daily driving

R1R will not make it to 10K....super soft tire.

R1R will not make it to 10K....super soft tire.

Carl, your though on the new PS4S ?

Apparently, they improved the rolling resistance/longevity ( don't really care as the original PSS already last well), much better wet traction ( which I don't have a problem with the actual PSS, so kind of useless for me lol), and sightly better dry traction due to PS2 sport cup technology used in the new PS4S tire.

Back