Article: Is It Time To Make Winter Tires Mandatory For Longer?

DannyITR

Administrator
Staff member
15-MARS.jpg

As you no doubt have heard, Montreal will be hit with probably the largest snow storm of the year today and tomorrow. What’s interesting is that tomorrow is the last day when the province mandates that vehicles be equipped with winter tires.

The law is in effect from December 15 to March 15 inclusive but there are often large snowfalls before and after these dates. At the risk of sounding unpopular, I’m going to ask: would it not make more sense to change the dates to December 1 to March 30?

I was going to suggest those dates before reading to the last word. I approve. could be before and after but I know mtl doesnt get as much as snow as we have in qc. so it makes sense.

J'ose espérer que la population est capable de réfléchir plus que 2 secondes et réaliser qu'il fait encore -15 et que c'est pas une bonne idée de rouler avec des pneus d'été. Neige ou pas.

Les date logique devrais être du 15 novembre au 15 avril.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Here in Detroit, it was snowing a decent amount, someone took out their C6 Corvette and smashed it on I-75. You sir, fkn deserved it.
Same logic applies, if you switched your tires too early and wreck your car, 100% at fault and assume the consequences.

there is also another problem... people who run winter tires that are finished...

some will run winter tires all year long to ''save'' money and by the second winter... the tires are useless.

How about we should we make school mandatory for longer?

The date are perfect as is. No need to tell people when to change their diaper...

With the wacky weather we are seeing if they extend it, they should also include an exception clause for temperature especially for fall.

I run on my summers until the weather drops to constant week of single digits or there are at least 2 days of any week that have a minus sign. Otherwise I hold off to save dry road heat wear on my winters. The time I change my tires is different each year

Spring is not as touchy because at least for myself I sacrifice my winter tires for a bit longer in order to save my summer rims from the sink holes we like to call potholes.

Les problemes c'est que le gouvernements se prennent pour nos mères pour nous donner l'impression qu'ils se préoccupent de nous. LOL. Ils vont repousser ça au 15 avril mais des fois le 1 avril il fait 15 et on va voir à tva que c'est dangeureux de rouler des pneus d'hiver à 15 degrés.

Faque un moment donner calisser nous patience. La loi est là pour les imbéciles et si un imbécile pose ses pneus demain, bah Amen, ça lui coûtera un bumper.

This would be just stupid. Motorcycle cannot go on the road based on the calendar date because of this stupid law; regardless of the weather. Last year it was 20C in December and bike couldn’t go on the road with no sight of snow.

It is a good idea to have an extended period of time where winter tire are mandatory to prevent people from using all season tire in winter, but the date should NEVER interfere with the “gray zone”. What if you want to take your “summer ride” for a spin when the roads are dry and the temperature are warm like 2 weeks ago? With that stupid law, you can’t.

there is also another problem... people who run winter tires that are finished...

some will run winter tires all year long to ''save'' money and by the second winter... the tires are useless.

C'est ironique parce que tu c'est pas toi qui as des pneus d'hiver finis?

Ceux qui roulent des pneus d'hiver à l'année sont pas très intelligent. Les pneus d'hiver s'usent beaucoup plus rapidement lorsqu'il fait plus de 10 degrés. En plus d'être plus bruyant, coûter plus cher et offrir une tenue de route inférieure vs les pneus d'été.

Franchement, la météo varie selon les années. Le but de la Loi est de forcer les gens à avoir des pneus d'hiver. Il faut arrêter de chercher à materniser tout le monde.

En 2012, il y a eu des périodes de 20-26 degrés entre le 15 et le 31 mars. Repousser la date, c'est interdire aux motos de circuler...vraiment pas fort.

J'ai le gout de sortir la mustang et faire poser mes drag radial la semaine prochaine juste pour voir la face du gars.

This just in..... MANDATORY SUMMER TIRES.

Moi je crois pas à ça les "pneus d'hiver". Encore une gimmick pour nous faire dépenser de l'argent.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I think the dates are fine, as someone else said, its to force people to actually put winter tires on.

I hope no one is dumb enough to take their winters off or not put them on, just because of the date and not the actual weather outside.

IF they do decide to change it though, Dec 1st to March 31st makes sense. But knowing our government, they'll make it something stupid like Nov 15 to April 15...

Exactly.
We need mandatory summer tires as well, not only winter!

Back