Shell V Power VS. CO-OP 91

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
I use Shell V Power religiously, but I needed gas a couple weeks ago and there aren't any Shell stations close to my friend's place. He always uses CO-OP gas and says it's good so I decided to try it.

Results:
Previous tank with V Power: 476kms, 52.685L, 11.068L/100km, 25.46mpg

CO-OP 91: 379kms, 53.319L, 14.07L/100km, 20.03mpg

Next tank, V Power again: 451.8kms, 53.723L, 11.89L/100km, 23.7mpg.

I normally average around 11.5L/100km. The 14.07 from CO-OP is by far the worst mileage I've ever gotten with this car, or my previous daily driver which had the exact same engine and I drove for ~3 years.

Have any of you experienced such a huge difference in fuel economy from a different gas station? Is V Power really ethanol free and it makes that much of a difference? Did I get regular gas from CO-OP? I definitely chose premium and the receipt confirms this.

All Couche Tard gas stations are beyond horrible. I either go for Shell or if in a bind Esso. 4/5 when i gas up at Couche Tard my check engine will come on, because it's not super it's probably rat shit.

Ton 91 chez CO-OP c'était probablement du 87 avec de l'éthanol

Surely, but that's no different than most gas stations.

ou bin ya fais plus froid cette semaine, ou ta clencher 2-3 mononcle de plus.

It was cold, but nothing compared to some weeks we got this winter. I'm usually around 12l when it's really cold. The tank before CO-OP had a bit more highway driving than normal, but I was definitely not driving the car hard when i had the CO-OP gas in there. The tank lasted like 4 days, mostly just work and back.

All Couche Tard gas stations are beyond horrible. I either go for Shell or if in a bind Esso. 4/5 when i gas up at Couche Tard my check engine will come on, because it's not super it's probably rat shit.

Same here, I use Esso once in a while when in a pinch but I've never noticed a significant difference like I did with CO-OP gas.

Shell 91 really is ethanol free.
It's the only fuel that would let my HPFP idle quietly.
Even Petrocan 94 has some ethanol content.

Shell 91 really is ethanol free.
It's the only fuel that would let my HPFP idle quietly.
Even Petrocan 94 has some ethanol content.

Yup, this has reinforced my belief that V Power really is ethanol free despite the constant debates. But still, ~10% ethanol in the CO-OP gas shouldn't result in a 20% loss in fuel efficiency.

I'm sure Petro94 has more ethanol than most, that's how they get the 94 octane rating.

Yup, this has reinforced my belief that V Power really is ethanol free despite the constant debates. But still, ~10% ethanol in the CO-OP gas shouldn't result in a 20% loss in fuel efficiency.

I'm sure Petro94 has more ethanol than most, that's how they get the 94 octane rating.

At some shell stations it's actually written on the pump the amount of ethanol per octane rating, 91 having none, if I remember correctly it's the same thing for ultramar, 87/89 having some, but none in the 91, I actually use Petro 94, but have no idea if anything is written about the ethanol, as I'm not one of those who believes it's "bad" for your engine...

What about Ultramar ? On the tank itself they state "up to 10% ethanol" on the 87/89 but no mention for the 91.

There are 2 refining facilities in Quebec, both use mostly Brent crude as principal imput and pretty much the same process. So unless the delivery company is willing to cheat (which could not be done on a large scale) the gazoline you are buying in this province is about 80% the same with different grade.

The only gas that doesn't containt Ethanol is V-Power. It sucks we don't get their 93 Octane V-Power like in the states. Last time I was in Miami I checked and it contained no Ethanol either.

Fyi the ethanol or not is not the issue, maintnance of gas tank is. If the service station doesn't do regular maintnance there could be an accumulation of water into the tank....

There are 2 refining facilities in Quebec, both use mostly Brent crude as principal imput and pretty much the same process. So unless the delivery company is willing to cheat (which could not be done on a large scale) the gazoline you are buying in this province is about 80% the same with different grade.

Il ya 2 raffineries, mais combien de terminal ?

C'est aux terminals que les additifs sont mis. Ça bien beau être le même feed de départ, Petro va mettre ses alcools, Shell ses molécules avec de l'azote (lolwat), etc.

L'éthanol permet une meilleure combustion et cest pas un max de 10% qui va faire droppé le fuel economy en fou.

Pour ma part, 94 ftw. Mais quand le gaz est trop cher je met du 91 de n'importe quel station.

Mes Saabs adorent le 94...

Agreed!
Terminals are shared...but controlled by valero, so unless you are close to ontario, you are getting a blend of all the same gasoline...
Edit: just tune you saab for the gasoline you use, and they will love it

Fyi the ethanol or not is not the issue, maintnance of gas tank is. If the service station doesn't do regular maintnance there could be an accumulation of water into the tank....

Also, do not get gas shortly after the service station gets its gas, all the sediment on the bottom gets mixed around, I used to work at a service station and the owner would not fill his truck for at least 4 hours.
For ethonol in your gas.... http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2015/04/ethanol/
I use Petro Canada 94 in the 240 and for the daily driver whatever station is nearby when I need gas ( exept whoever sells Irving fuel/products, personal boycott ).

Je n'ai jamais vraiment remarquer une difference dans la consommation d'essence. Je met du 91 de chez : Ultramar, Petro-T, Shell, Esso.

La seule chose que j'ai remarquer c'est que le Super de chez Shell est plus cher que dans les autres stations de quelque cents.....

Ce qui me fait le plus rire ce sont les gens qui vont chez Sonic. Ils ont le choix entre : ordinaire, super ou ethanol. Quand je les entend dire " Ah non je ne veux pas mettre de l'ethanol ce n'est pas bon pour le moteur "

Si seulement ils savaient que l'ordinaire et l'ethanol viennent du meme reservoir hahaha.

BTW je prend toujours l'ethanol quand je vais faire le plein de mes vehicules qui roulent au 87 parce que c'est la seule pompe toujours disponible...
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

This is why I try to fill up at newer stations or Costco.

Yes OP.
There is a thread around...and I experienced the same.
I did the test many many times. With Ultramar, Shell and Esso. No with Co op. And always the same result. Shell 91...gets me better mileage than any of the other too, by 30-50 km more / each tank.

Back