Dilemma - what not to buy

rebel

hi all,

next year i'm planning to change my 2003 maxima which has been very loyal to me, but rust starts to appear and at 220 000 km...anything can go on the car.
now for the next car i'm looking at several choice, but first here are my criterias:
it needs to be sedan (4 doors)
relatively spacious ( size of 3-series, g37, etc) (baby and dog in back seat)
it needs to be six speed manual,, before it dies out completely , it might be my last chance to buy a manual trans.
i'm looking for something faster than my current maxima, in the range of 5 seconds 0-100. (plus or minus 0.5 sec) which means around 300hp+
relatively luxurious (quiet driving, good suspension, smooth clutch operation, powerful and good exhaust note without being annoying in the long run)
preferably 6 cylinder because smoother
i'm doing about 10 000 km/year, all year driving, so it will be my daily
don't care about gas consumption since my work in 5 km away and i'n not stuck in traffic
very important to be reliable as i'll be buying this car for the long run. (8-10 years) I've had my maxima from 2008 until now and i still love it. so i'm not changing cars like a woman changing undies.
Used cars only as the budget will be 30 000$ max including taxes.
hoping to buy something with around 70 000 km or less.
rwd preferably, don't care about awd, but , no fwd. (no care for snow, i live in the city)

my choices are:
G37 S Sedan , love the VQ engine, not sure the manual transmission or clutch is great, and the latest model is 2013, then they dropped manual tranny.
335, very fast, but really scared of the reliability issues, are they still an issue with years 2011-2012? also the interior is crappy
audi s4: is the 6cyl supercharged..is it problematic? any other issues of maintenance?
volvo s60? Marek any feedback? T5, R design? i don't knwo the models
Acura TL: probably bigger and boaty, but i heard good reviews of the engine and manual transmission and reliability should be there. but awkard look.
caddy cts-v, 2009-up, really love the car, but holy shit the prices are going up? wtf...and the car is in another league...
subaru, no and no...
lexus got no manual on the IS350 and 250 is too slow.
no mercedes

i would stick to Japanese, or Americans since i doubt the german engineering reliability in the long run, but maybe i'm wrong..

aware me on other suggestions...i'm open to look into as i have time to learn about them. plan is for spring/summer next year.

Last edited:
Acura TL SH AWD

En terme de fidélité, fiabilité, agrément de conduite... c'est un excellent rapport

thank for the input,the tdi might be better if i was to do lots of km..and the GLI is ok, but not sure how reliable with a tune and if it can keep up with the rest of contenders equipment/performance.

is300 the old one my buddy has one and zero problems and 6spd + supra engin or TDI jetta i have one and no issues so far and my bro had it for 4 years and also zero problems

GLI is a very good car also with a tune but...... its FWD !

Look for a Passat, CC or nah, with the 3.6 4motion. Its a VR6 engine, very reliable, the sound is amazing, direct-injection....

Its not manual but i'm sure you'll like the DSG

Be prepared to change out the slave cylinder on the g37. Besides that, HR motor is amazing, comfort, power is all there.

masaker, i was reading issues with the clutch. on 6mt models. as in not being easy to drive the car smooth...something like the friction point is too high..or the clutch too abrupt..people are changing the clutch pedals..because if the awkward "clutch feel"..you have that issue?

masaker, i was reading issues with the clutch. on 6mt models. as in not being easy to drive the car smooth...something like the friction point is too high..or the clutch too abrupt..people are changing the clutch pedals..because if the awkward "clutch feel"..you have that issue?
Not at all, i drive an 05 g35 6mt and i have an after market clutch with a light weight flywheel. I know on 370z's same as the g37s people change out the clutch slave with z1's because even going oem with a new one, the slave seems to fuck up again. Get an 05 sedan 6mt although hard to find but it comes with the rev up motor. If beaten likes to burn oil, and the front end bushings are a disaster, so i went and got some polyeurathane ones and no more problems.

Have you considered the is350, might be a good option. Decently fast, decent space, decent style, good resale value, amazing reliability...!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

is350 is beautiful, but no manual transmission. i know there are lots of dsg and performant automatics in 7-8-9 speeds, but the 6mt criteria is important.

Back