Project GEV & project pimpin': the P5 & the M45

sgsr20

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally decided to make this thread to document my 2 ongoing projects.

First of all, the Mazda Protegé5. It's a 2002 1-owner car that I picked up about a year ago and have been tinkering with since.

Rundown of the mods: KLZE V6 bored out to 2.7l, forged block and internals, 9.0:1 CR, T3/T4 Garrett hybrid turbo, Megasquirt 2 standalone, 06 Mazda6 GT front brakes w/HP+ pads all around, ported & polished head with full APR hardware, Goldline springs with Tokiko shocks (2in. static drop), MX6 transmission with MX3 short gearing, short shift kit, Bully stage 3 clutch and a full MSP interior (with required cig burn on drivers side seat.)

Future plans include getting rid of the carbon hood for a stock one, changing windshield & a full transmission brass bushing conversion with an MSP LSD install.

Now some pics:
7a0be98e46f8d1bb1e0589c4f1104a1e.jpg
c0f35ee1cbeadcf68a6418353d1eca87.jpg
db7b6ec1cf23e7e8790f893e2f7de71f.jpg
3c54de60e1a3e9d4290f2b5ef79fd7c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Now the M45... Picked it up a week ago and again, a 1-owner Ontario car with under 147k kms at time of purchase, all original. Everything works but there's a little bit of attention I'm gonna be giving to the body to make it perfect, rear wings starting to bubble & Canadian spec rockers will get refurbished.

I've already put 1500kms on it and it jusy eats up the miles on the highway. Pretty direct steering and suspension feel, feels like an E39 in its compromise in sportiness & comfort, plus dat VK45de...

Came on factory 18x7.5 +35 chromies on 235/45/17in winters; bought new wheels before I even got it plated lol!!! Now on 18x8 +30 Z33 touring factory chromed wheels on 245/45/18 Goodyear RSA's.

Might put on some Tein S-spec springs, if I can find a fairly-priced set, possibly a muffler delete cuz dat v8, but this is gonna be my daily, so it's gonna stay very simple.

Piktars:
10ccd450155610f0e7589d335861233c.jpg
1d48fe0d93a0c93a3218532ff4159a23.jpg
2cc2966774b5847204f4a70c3599d9c8.jpg
c110b8a89771dd5b96f3e6d8476d79b7.jpg
fa010a480a324a2ce731f163d7408588.jpg

Last edited:
So whats it like driving the Protege V6 dans panne?

Well, it is pretty quick with 315WHP & when boost kicks in around 3000rpm all the way to the 7000rpm cutoff, you do lose traction at all speeds with the winters currently on the car. The gearing is extremely short so at 110km/h Im sitting at about 3 grand. Makes it great for passing, as boost is available on tap in 5th, but it also makes it the worst car ever for road trips, as it actually costs more in gas at 125kph than it does puttering around town lol. Eventually gonna change the Garrett to a HKS GT30RS, when I blow up the Garrett that is...

I've done a few mexican pulls to see how it fares against other cars with agreable results (apologies to the guy in the x-plated brand-new A6 3.0T & the black JDM Impreza, twice).

The transmission is starting to show its typical signals of OEM weakness, as 3rd gear is starting to let go, which is a known flaw on these... Upshifting is fine but downshifting into 3rd is AWOL, hence the tranny rebuild & beefing up in the plans...

Ive had major work done on the cooling system to allow easier servicing, as the P-O seemed to have built this very well, but without the intention of ever taking it apart again... So the whole front end of the car was taken off, the rad support was notched and a removable cradle was fabricated to allow full removal of the front end bracketry in the future in minutes, as opposed to hours. Changed the intercooler for a bigger core while i was at it, and fixed a leak in the rad that showed up after the intercooler was removed, and added BWR couplings all over.

The car is currently at the shop as Im waiting for some coil packs; 2 of 6 died on me, leaving me running on 4cyl... The KLZE distributor is a know POS & is 400$+, so GM LSx coil packs in a custom aluminium tray it is!

Ill be posting pics of the summer wheel setup once the car is back in my possession!

Last edited:
rarely see clean protégé 5. this one seems up to it. pretty rare. always love those since it's hatchback but they were rust bucket pretty quick.

good luck with it, seems like a blast.

rarely see clean protégé 5. this one seems up to it. pretty rare. always love those since it's hatchback but they were rust bucket pretty quick.

good luck with it, seems like a blast.
Thanks bud! Yup no rust whatsoever on it but the paint job is a 10 footer tbh... I want a ratrod type look and the summer wheels will follow that train of inspiration

Nice cars but i have to favor that m45 does it have the vq sound even though it's a vk? That looks like a lazy boy on wheels. Good luck with those projects. Clean cars.

Man the m45 is so not aging well lol everything on it is a square.

Both look clean, lâche pas la patate.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Nice cars but i have to favor that m45 does it have the vq sound even though it's a vk? That looks like a lazy boy on wheels. Good luck with those projects. Clean cars.
No VQ sound it's a very muted V8 sound I'm so not used to such a quiet car lol trying to resist gutting the muffler or deleting it all together

No VQ sound it's a very muted V8 sound I'm so not used to such a quiet car lol trying to resist gutting the muffler or deleting it all together

People do muffler deletes on the g, gets kind of raspy. Have you just thought about a magnaflow resonator to replace the muffler?

A MagnaFlow axle back is definitely an option, I wanna make sure that all the mods I do stay reversible... but modding is a slippery slope, coil overs and big jdm wheels are very tempting...

Distributor on those cars sucks. I had a Probe as my first car and it cost me so much to find the issue back in the day. Looks like a fun car!!

It is fun but I really need more traction, I'm gonna eventually pick up some fd 16s with sticky tires & take it to the track after the tranny rebuild is done... curious to see what 1/4 mile time I can get out of it

Très nice tes projets.
J'me souvienderais toujours du KLZE straight pipe d'un de mes voisins quand j'étais plus jeune. Fuck que ça sonne!

Back in the dayz, my KLZE MX3 was doing low 14sec on the 1/4 mile. On winter tires (yeah ticoune I was)

I miss that sound so much, the V6 at 8000rpm, WOW. It was the ultimate sleeper.

Love your cars, lâche pas!

Thx guys cest le meme genre dexperience qui ma fait aimer les klze! Yavait un dude avec un probe gt 97 av3c une pipe dans mon coin avant meme que jaie mon permis a qui je dois mon amour de ce moteur la... J'ai eu un mx6 klze modifie na pis javoue que je mennuie du son, cest pas pareil turbo tu perds bcp en sonorite meme avec un exhaust conservateur comme J'ai en ce moment... au moins ya le blowoff pour compenser lol

Its all about old skool

So just picked up the protegé with its new summer hoops installed. I picked up a set of Ford racing bullitt wheels, square setup, 17x8 +25 on federal UHP 205/40/17. Also changed my shift knob from a F&F era Momo to something a little more fitting. The car is super dirty & I'll need to get the rear fenders rolled more cuz the rears rub quite a bit lol.

Pics:

Back