Nio EP9’s 6:45 Nürburgring ‘Ring record.

SRB-TEAM

There’s a new lap record at the Nürburgring. And you may be delighted to know this one doesn’t involve hatchbacks with roll cages fighting over small handfuls of seconds. Nope, it’s a new overall production car record. And it’s really bloody fast.

Send your cards of congratulation to Chinese electric car maker NIO, whose EP9 supercar stopped the clock at 6min 45.9sec, as evidenced by this wobbly but nonetheless impressive on-board video.

It’s not only the fastest electric car around the Nordschleife, either, because that time is over six seconds quicker than the Lamborghini Huracan Performante and over two seconds quicker than the Radical SR8 LM. Those are the two production cars that have previously claimed overall honours at the ‘Ring. Which you hold in higher regard depends how much you value a roof and a production run beyond Single Vehicle Approval.

files.php

NIO taking honours with its first proper production car is blooming impressive, even if the EP9 does have a mighty 1342bhp and a 194mph top speed to call upon. And a £1.4million price tag.

What happens next is mightily interesting. It’s no secret that Jim Glickenhaus thinks his supercar can claim the record, even if he is a little apathetic about the process surrounding ‘Ring lap times. We wonder how rankled Lamborghini will be, too, mere months after the Huracan claimed so many headlines with its 6min 52.01sec lap.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/video-watch-nio-ep9s-645-ring-record

Google who Jim Glickenhaus is and you'll see that it's not surprising!!!

This guy makes insane cars. Looks like his car with Chinese resources.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I saw this yesterday and was completely mesmerized... The first time watching an electric car has given me a thrill.

J'ai toujours dit que le son et la senteur d'un bon vieux moteur américain était le summum, mais depuis quelques temps je commence a etre tres attiré par les chars électrique. Vraiment impressionnant les performances de se char.

wow it's crazy how fast cars have got into the turns, it's like the curves bend for the car and not the other way around damn...

Back