Car Modification Laws in Montreal / Quebec and What Do The Police Look For?

Merci pour l'information. En d'autres termes, utilisez le bon sens et vous devriez être d'accord.

In all honesty, a 1LE Camaro was on the top of my list, but I probably need a car I can use all year round. I took a 2SS for a drive other day and fell in love and the 2018 1LE with rebates is around the price of a top of the line STi so it is doable. But I just figured it would be a very bad choice since it is snowing here 5 months out of the year.

Honestly what's not to like? AWD with loads of grip, that Subi Boxer rumble, 4 doors, all the technology of a BMW or Mercedes, in the 2018 STi - those Recaros :bigup: 6 piston brakes. Sure the EJ isn't the worlds greatest motor but it isn't bad and IMO they look good.

But hey I'm open to suggestions, what would any of you guys recommend?
Well i dont know how subbie treats their customers in Australia when it comes to claiming an engine under warranty but here in quebec... Its quite the struggle to deal with them once that engine blows.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Ok doesn't translate to "d'Accord", it still is OK in french :p

About the fines, already had one 8 years ago on my specV, you are looking at about 150$ for en exhaust fine.

The real issue is if you get sent to inspection, they'll look at every mod you have and if they don't agree with it, you won't be allowed to drive the car untill you remove them. So keep your stock parts close by.

About their level of pickyness, well, in montreal cops are usually busy with a lot of stuff, they don't have much time to waste with that kind of crap. But once you get out of the city, well it can change a lot from a city to another. But I drove catless illegal exhaust, coilovers, lowering springs, wrong size tires, squeaking brakes and only got pulled over once in 10 years for an exhaust fine.

Haha, you noticed my bad attempt at google translate.

Cheers for the info. I will admit while Australia has a metric ton of strange car modifying laws, the exhaust laws here are strange as it doesn't appear to matter if your aftermarket exhaust meets all federal noise and emissions regulations it is still illegal. Which is strange because if I put an aftermarket exhaust on a car that is still quieter than say a Stock Lamborghini or Mustang 350 say mine is still illegal and theirs isn't.

Hellaflush is a big no no... for the rest, if you're not abusing it will be ok. Cops are not as hungry as they were with modified cars for the past couple of years.

I only got one ticket for a modified muffler and it was 8 years ago. I dont have modified cars anymore, but i'm riding a sport bike and an HD, both straight pipe and cops dont even look at me. Of course, there is some cities that you dont want to go like Lévis, Granby and some part of the Longueuil territory, but for the rest it's ok if you dont drive recklessly.

@robser got the same ticket for the exhaust on the spec V as well lol can confirm its still 150$

I think aussies love Subaru cuz they actually got the good ie early fast models

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

@robser got the same ticket for the exhaust on the spec V as well lol can confirm its still 150$

I think aussies love Subaru cuz they actually got the good ie early fast models

Pretty true. I owned a MY99 GC8 STi 2 door back in the day, so a WRX is close to my heart.

Also you guys don't really have Skylines or Silvias here, so unless you got the money for a R35 Nissans are out. The rest of JDM Imports are IMO meh.

But Subarus have always been great value for money, practical yet fun. An EVO is an option but their interiors are god aweful and IMO they don't have the personality of a REX.

Like I said earlier I'm open to options from local Montrealers on cars that I may not be familiar with.

Comme ca a été dit, pour mettre toute les chances de ton coté pour éviter de te faire chier par la police faut pas avoir : char trop droppé , vitre trop teinté, strech de pneu, camber, exhaust trop bruyant et ou un ''tuyau de poele''.

you're a bloody cunt, mate

I'm surprised u haven't considered a mustang, they do have a pedigree downunder

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Yeah, I can imagine so. What are the laws like here in regards to a warranty claim. For example in Australia a manufacturer has to honor a warranty if the modification doesn't relate directly to the claimed part. For example if you have a CAT BACK exhaust they can't deny your warranty claim to fix the power window.

They'll fix the power window if you have a catback.

But, let's say the ringland on piston #4 is blown and you have a catback exhaust. Chances are Subaru won't honor the warranty even if 2 other cars are in the shop for the same problem. Subaru is known to deny warranty claims for stupid reasons. Some people were denied claims because a collar on the air intake was not OEM...

It's in french but still
https://www.montrealracing.com/forums/showthread.php?851994-Garantie-subaru-vs-Moteur-saute

If you care about the manufacturer's warranty, don't get a Subaru or if you do, don't mod it.

Hey guys, so i just got tints done on my white ILX. I told them to do 50%front and 20% back windows.
Now i didnt take into affect that the car windows already came with 75% factory tinted glass. So now my front is actually 37% and back is 15%
Im worried now that my front tints will be too bait for cops to pull me over.
Should i take the chance? Lol

Back