Selling Car to Ontario Resident - Info Please

MTV

Might be selling my car to an Ontario resident while I am in Toronto. Did some research but want more clarity. From what I understand I should do the following:

• Collect cheque / cash
  • Draft up sales contract
  • Go to DMV so buyer gets transit
  • Remove plates
  • Call SAAQ and tell them car is sold

Is this all that needs to be done? Am I missing anything?

This is what I did the last time I sold to a guy from Ontario:

• Collect cash
  • Fill and sign bill of sale
  • Fill and sign the back of the QC plate paper
  • Remove plates
  • Buyer install his plate and drives home (for some reason ON DMV told him he could use old plates he still had to drive the car home)
  • Go to SAAQ in person, tell the teller I sold the car to an out of province dude, receive refund for plates
  • Call insurances to remove car from policy

If the buyer ask for a "used car package", tell him we don't have that and not required for out of province vehicles (QC plate papers the only thing needed).

Perfect thanks man !

Edit: Did you download the bill of sale from the SAAQ website or did you draft your own?

Perfect thanks man !

Edit: Did you download the bill of sale from the SAAQ website or did you draft your own?

:)

I used one I found in Google Docs (if you have Google Drive, there's a few templates free to use).

You can write one down by hand as well, simply need to show: your name and address, buyer name and address, information of the vehicle (incl. NIV), sale price and signature from both. If the car is old enough, you can always make 2 bill of sales, one with the actual real price and the other for a lower amount to save the tax at SAAQ/DMV. The bill of sale is pretty standard regardless of who you sell it too.

Back