Drive or Ship?

• Drive

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Ship

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

Stirl_ae86

Legacy Member
I need to get a car from MTL to Calgary and am torn between driving it back or having it shipped... I seem to be changing my mind daily.

Pros of driving:
-Epic road trip
-Car will not be in a stranger's hands
-Wouldn't have to worry about damage during transport
-Most transportation companies I've spoken to want 4-5" ground clearance which isn't happening.

Cons of driving:
-Car is stiff, partially stripped, caged, 4.77 rear end, will be revving pretty high on the highway. All in all not an ideal road trip car but I have very low standards when it comes to my personal comfort.
-I'd be doing the drive on a long weekend. Fly out Friday night, drive back Sat, Sun, Mon. Back to work Tuesday. I know I'd have time to complete the drive, but if something went wrong I'd be stuck trying to find transportation for the car in a pinch.

Any wisdom/advice to offer?

Get it shipped a lot less headaches. It sounds like a race car and after the first 100kms you will want out. If it has coil overs just have the guy raise the top perch and leave the bottom one alone so its easy to revert. Should cost about $2500 you will spent that with the flight and meals hotels gas with 4.77.

Just my .02

Pas les même circonstances, mais j'ai eu le même dilemme l'année passée quand j'étais en Cali avec ma moto.

J'ai fini par la faire shippé parce que ça me revenait 200$ moins chère si je calculais ma bouffe/hotel/bière.

I'll drive it for you. Just pay my flight back. Epic MR story.

giphy.gif

Tu va perdre ton temp
Tu va perdre des vertèbres
Tu va perdre de l'argent

Appel livingston transport 1000-1200$

weather + tires - how does it drive under wet conditions?

clearance - deciding factor?

second driver?

Regular street tires and they're like new, but I've never driven the car. I can't say how it is in the wet but it should be fine. It's not a crazy high hp race car or anything.
Clearance is somewhat of a concern but like airintake mentioned, it does have coilovers, i could have it raised a bit.
No second driver. I've done the drive alone before without stopping so I don't think that would be an issue.

I was younger then though :p
https://www.montrealracing.com/foru...real-to-Calgary-Pics&highlight=drive!+my+move

Get it shipped a lot less headaches. It sounds like a race car and after the first 100kms you will want out. If it has coil overs just have the guy raise the top perch and leave the bottom one alone so its easy to revert. Should cost about $2500 you will spent that with the flight and meals hotels gas with 4.77.

Just my .02

I figure driving I could do it for under $1500 total... Most shipping quotes I got were about that as well, so cost is not really a deciding factor.

Tu va perdre ton temp
Tu va perdre des vertèbres
Tu va perdre de l'argent

Appel livingston transport 1000-1200$

Livingston quoted me $1500 but need 5" ground clearance.

Seems like everyone agrees that shipping is the way to go. This is what my brain has been telling me all along, but my heart wants to drive it.

Thx for the input.

I have driven the trip a few times ( to bring a quad back ), not fun, the cost was about $900.00 including gas, food, 2 nights lodging and drinks in a lounge at night. This was a Nissan titan with a ATV in the back. A few people I know sent their cars/trucks by rail, cheapest they claim.

Imagine te la faire scrapper ou volé pendant ton trip, ship it bro après l'avoir conduit ici tu fera un road trip.

drive it, im pretty sure you can always find MR guys to help you along the way.

I'm in Brandon MB, so anywhere between Winnipeg and Saskatoon i can help!

Back