Race Volunteers

Fuzz

Section Moderator
Hey everyone,

Have you ever wondered how people get close to the action at the race track, and work as marshals or officials. If you are interested or know someone who is, keep reading.

The majority of the people you see working at the Grand Prix du Montreal, 24 Hours of Lemans, 24 Nurburgring - are volunteers. They are as much apart of the show as the drivers. Without the marshals and officials, there would be no racing. Marshals and Officials have to be licensed and approved to work certain events and areas and typically the impression new people get is "This is so hard, I don't know where to start".

I'm opening up the doors for people who think they might be interested in working at the track, to come out and shadow some of our staff this up coming weekend at Shannonville Motorsports Park - July 8 & 9. It is a CASC-OR Regional Race weekend, consisting of Vintage / Historic, Formula F1600 and GT Cars. If you enjoy yourself, then working events across Canada and the rest of the world is just a matter of getting a license, and getting a recommendation. I have friends who have worked at F1 Events in Mexico, Australia, Abu Dhabi, along with 24HR du Mans and Daytona 24hr.

The two main areas you'll get to check out this weekend is Grid -you'll get to see how the cars are placed before the start of the race, and Pit Lane - keeping an on cars entering, exiting, making sure work that is done on the cars are safe, etc.

If you think you'd be interested, and you'd like more information, fire me off a PM. Come for the day, come for a few hours, or stay for the weekend. The choice is yours, but I will need to know who is coming before Thursday, July 6th.

I will be opening the doors again for another event out at Calabogie Motorsports Park on August 26th and 27th, for the Ted Powell Memorial Race Weekend.

People work for free while the promoter makes millions.

Yeah!

The majority of races in this world are break-even events. Regardless of that fact however... if you are race fan and you are going to go to watch the race and pay $400 for a ticket to sit in the stands, pay for a hotel, and drive hours and hours to get to the track, that is the kind of person who volunteer at events. Why?? Because they see the value of: Getting in for free, having the hotel paid for, free food, being a part of the show, and having a better view of the action.

Now, obviously regional events are different, because the spectators get in for like $20, but you do get a bitchin' lunch box & great view of the action. But every event is different, depending on the location, how far the volunteers come from, etc. Sometimes you get gas money, sometimes you get a place to stay. Personally, I enjoy camping at the events.

The same happens at events like concerts and festivals.

All amateurs racing sports in Canada are handled by passionate volunteers.. like Rally event.. I was not paid as the main organizer in the Rallye Auto Charlevoix... but I was doing it because it was fun....I might be crazy indeed...

Hi Everybody,

As promised (sorry for it being late), the Ted Powell Memorial Race Weekend is this coming weekend at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Ontario, about 2.5 hours away from Montreal.

If you want to come on by for the day, check out what volunteering is all about, take in some sights and sounds of the races, drop me a line. Admission is free, and for those that want to volunteer - Lunch and Saturday supper is provided, along with drinks.

This weekend we have: F1600, Vintage / Historic cars, Formula Libre (Mazdas, F2000, F3000, Toyota Atlantics), Radical Canada Cup, and of course my favourite the GT Sprint that has everything from Porsches to those pesky Honda Civics and everything in between (CASCAR, Miatas, BMWs, Corvettes, etc).

BUMP. Another season is upon us.

June 2nd and 3rd at Calabogie Motorsports Park - We have got Micra Cup, Canadian Touring Car, Super Production Challenge, the Ontario Regional series - GT Sprints, Formula Libre, and last but not least Radical Cup Canada.

Come hang out for the weekend, enjoy the sights and sounds of racing - It's free admission for the weekend, and make sure you come find me on Pit Lane and I'll tell you all about volunteering.

Back