Purchased Used Car but found hidden problem - What to do

wizzard

HI Guys

I purchased a used Acura TSX (2009) last week and upon my first filling of my tank (completely full), i noticed that the gauge was always on full even after driving the car for over 100KM. Also the on dash digital reader was reading 750km to empty. As i was driving this amount was going lower until it reached 702km and then went back up to 738km. SO this morning we i started the car it read 689km to empty but when i parked and checked after 15km of driving, it said 736km. So basically i have done 130km so far and my analog gauge still reads full while the digital now reads 740km to empty. When i contacted the seller, he told me he didn't notice anything wrong and that it took a while for it to move from the "full" symbol. I am not sure how to handle this. Is this un VIS cacher?
Any advice?
Thanks

Drive 2-300kms... If it still says fulll, fuel level sensor thingy coukd be bad...

My escape says full until i hace 100+ kms driven at least.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's the thing today, used cars can be so expensive that people expect to find an x year old car for cheap in new condition.

For the gauge thing I'd wait to have driven at least 300km before having a garage check it.

You do have to understand that a used car can and will have issues. Un vice cache like you say would be for something like if the transmission or turbo (if equipped) blew up in a puff of fluid vapours or if the head gasket started leaking after a week which would mean the car was "doctored."

It's been reported in the past that sometimes unscrupulous sellers would put additives in the oil or prestone to keep the car looking/running good long enough for joe buyer to look it over and buy it then suddenly started leaking after a few weeks.

Did you not have it inspected?

For the KM part it's not an exact science...

If your heavy on the gas pedal, it will calculate an average and tell you you can do X km....if after that you drive easier on the pedal or cruise on the highway, it will recalculate the average and the amount may be higher after the recalculation...

That's the thing today, used cars can be so expensive that people expect to find an x year old car for cheap in new condition.

For the gauge thing I'd wait to have driven at least 300km before having a garage check it.

You do have to understand that a used car can and will have issues. Un vice cache like you say would be for something like if the transmission or turbo (if equipped) blew up in a puff of fluid vapours or if the head gasket started leaking after a week which would mean the car was "doctored."

It's been reported in the past that sometimes unscrupulous sellers would put additives in the oil or prestone to keep the car looking/running good long enough for joe buyer to look it over and buy it then suddenly started leaking after a few weeks.

Did you not have it inspected?

Even then. If ticoon tremblay buys your miata 124 in immaculate condition and blows it up in a walmart parking lot the next day will you assume responsibility? Used cars are bought as is unless it's from a dealer with warranty

For the KM part it's not an exact science...

If your heavy on the gas pedal, it will calculate an average and tell you you can do X km....if after that you drive easier on the pedal or cruise on the highway, it will recalculate the average and the amount may be higher after the recalculation...

Voilà!

Les civic EK dans le temp l'aiguille ne bougeais pas avant d'avoir rouler 100km et rendu en bas de la moitier, tu pouvais faire allumer le "E" dans les sorties d'autoroute. Peut être que Honda (Acura) ont pas encore réglé le problème? :p

Dude, ton KM restant s'ajuste avec ta conduite a tout les X km. Ca fait une moyenne. Si tu bat le char en malade pendant 30 minutes ton autonomie va tomber et remontera quand tu te sera calmer! Thats it

Vis caché, comme de fack down

Anne-France-Goldwater.jpg

Même si tu fais inspecter par un garage, personne ne peut savoir que la jauge à essence analogue est défectueuse. Tu t'en rends compte seulement après x km.

Calvers sa fait peur vendre des autos usagés avec du monde comme toi! Le char a fvckin 8 ans, c'est très possible qu'il y est des cossins qui brise de temps en temps.

Ca me rapelle le sunfire 95 que jai vendu pour 300$ en 2010. 1 ans plus tard la fille debarque chez nous dire je l'avais crosser parceque les brakes etaient fini. J'avais vendu le char avec 110k KM et elle avait 170k.... J'imagine pas si le moteur avait sauter apres 1 mois.

Ca me rapelle le sunfire 95 que jai vendu pour 300$ en 2010. 1 ans plus tard la fille debarque chez nous dire je l'avais crosser parceque les brakes etaient fini. J'avais vendu le char avec 110k KM et elle avait 170k.... J'imagine pas si le moteur avait sauter apres 1 mois.

J'espère que tu l'a envoyé chier ?

reason why from now on, it's either a rental or buy new and than in exchange for another new one at the dealer, I keep my cars clean, but yeah I'll probably loose a couple, still better than having to deal with this...

Ok , first off, thanks to everyone who commented.
Second, you guys need to relax and breath a bit..... your way too over pumped up!
All i asked was if the fuel consumption on my new(used) car was normal as it didn't feel right.
I never mentioned i would sue or take the seller to court or threaten him or anything.
Yes the car is 8 years old but it is an acura tsx nevertheless and i am sure even 8 years ago they built good cars.
The last 15 years i always had leased or purchased my cars and as this is the second car in the house, i went towards a used car, so i am abit more edgy with it.
So now you guys need to relax a bit, take a nice long breath and go outside and enjoy this beautiful weather.
Too much stress kills!
Thanks again and i will (or i might not sure) give a follow-up in 3-5 days once i see if the gas gauge changes.

Dit pas aux gens de se calmer quand tu viens crier au "vice-caché" après avoir fait 100kms avec l'auto USAGÉ.

Back