Renting a car in Mexico

El pibe

I'm going to the Cancun area in September and I would like to know if any of you have rented a car over there. I don't plan to stay in the resort the whole week, and fuck paying the insane amounts that Transat &co ask to see the pyramids.

Is there an age restriction ? ( I'm under 25 )
Do they try to rip you off?
Are the drivers worse than our stupid drivers who forget how to drive in the rain/snow ?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

From my experience it was always better to take a cab and negociate the price in advance. In Martinique a mercedes taxi and driver for 6h was less money than to rent a sentra for a day.

Pas besoin de louer une voiture à cancun. Toutes les activités comprennent le transport.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Been there done that.
J'avais été juska louer une petite auto dans une dealer privé, vraiment cheap mais un peu sketch lol.
Si tu t'en tiens au grosse banniere t'Auras pas de probleme.

Les mexicains conduisent comme les Québécoies dans les annés ou tu pouvais conduire avec une biere entre les jambes... just saying ;)
Ah pis soit pas surpris si tu te fais arreté par l'armé a des spot check. Moi je me garderais un peu de pesos d'extra si ils te font la vie dure..

Good luck and enjoy!! Jme rapelle encore mon dernier Taxi a 150kmh sur l'autoroute... haha

Pas besoin de louer une voiture à cancun. Toutes les activités comprennent le transport.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Mon hotel est à 92km de Cancun et 41 de playa del Carmen. Tant qu' à payer cher une activité avec le hotel/agence, aussi mieux d avoir la liberté d un char et découvrir ce que je veux 2-3 jours

Been there done that.
J'avais été juska louer une petite auto dans une dealer privé, vraiment cheap mais un peu sketch lol.
Si tu t'en tiens au grosse banniere t'Auras pas de probleme.

Les mexicains conduisent comme les Québécoies dans les annés ou tu pouvais conduire avec une biere entre les jambes... just saying ;)
Ah pis soit pas surpris si tu te fais arreté par l'armé a des spot check. Moi je me garderais un peu de pesos d'extra si ils te font la vie dure..

Good luck and enjoy!! Jme rapelle encore mon dernier Taxi a 150kmh sur l'autoroute... haha

Nice, merci !

J'étais au mexique cet hiver et criss que sa roule la bas hahaha... 150-160kmh dans une version cheap de jetta, tard le soir les route a moitié éclairé, pas de stress. Ma blonde freakai pi lchauffeur comprenais pas pourquoi lol.

I'm going to the Cancun area in September and I would like to know if any of you have rented a car over there. I don't plan to stay in the resort the whole week, and fuck paying the insane amounts that Transat &co ask to see the pyramids.

Is there an age restriction ? ( I'm under 25 )
Do they try to rip you off?
Are the drivers worse than our stupid drivers who forget how to drive in the rain/snow ?

You can rent, I know someone that did this to visit the ruins of Tikal from Mexico.

Not sure since you're under 25, usually they allow but with a hefty surcharge

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you can't speak Spanish. I had a little Nissan Versa, drove it outta Cancun down the coast line and came back through little villages. Was a cool experience minus the checkpoints with the lazy Mexican army dudes. We ended up hitting traffic when returning the car in Cancun and let me tell you. Rush hour traffic over there with round abouts, busses, taxis, scooters, fucking donkeys all over the road and me being a white gringo was not fun.

Ive recently rented a car and spent a week in Tulum. I've rented in the past with Budget and Alamo.

No issues with the rental process, no issues with driving on their roads. Did it twice so far and would do it again next time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mon chum il y a 3 semaines, c'est fait extorqué 2 fois par des cops pourrie ( pas des gros montant genre 20$)

Il roule en cave aussi par contre, sont conseil est de traîner un permis de conduire expiré, car si tu te fais arrêter ils vont te menacer de saisir ton permis si tu ne paye pas on the spot et que tu va pouvoir le récupérer au post. Il savent que les touristes ne veulent pas perdre une journée la dessus

Mon chum il y a 3 semaines, c'est fait extorqué 2 fois par des cops pourrie ( pas des gros montant genre 20$)

Il roule en cave aussi par contre, sont conseil est de traîner un permis de conduire expiré, car si tu te fais arrêter ils vont te menacer de saisir ton permis si tu ne paye pas on the spot et que tu va pouvoir le récupérer au post. Il savent que les touristes ne veulent pas perdre une journée la dessus
J imagine qu' ils font pas si t es hispanophone

Rented over 10 times in Cancun for golf week-ends, we always rent a truck when we go.

IN-SU-RANCE... Buy it, even if you card covers it, this is not Europe or USA... If something happens they will REQUIRE that your card/insurance pay BEFORE YOU LEAVE MEXICO... With their insurance, you'll be ok. More expensive, but meh.

Cops : Yes, the 20$ USD always works for whatever, speeding, lights, etc, etc... Or just getting stop for "check-up".

www.adocarrental.com Best service, no problem, clean cars, no wait.

Did Budget Cars a few times too, but Ado was always better.

Back