Car brand with best seats for long drives?

GotBass?

Legacy Member
We often do longish drives with the kids (Quebec, Toronto, Boston, New York, etc.) in a 2012 Toyota Sienna. This car is killing my back on those drives. The seats just have no support. I don't have this problem with my other cars (Porsche and BMW), but unfortunately they can't fit the entire familly and its luggages... So I'm thinking of replacing the familly car with something with better seats. Is there any brand that really stands out for the quality of its seats? European vs Japanese vs American? In my experience, the German appear to do better, but that remains a fairly small sample. Unfortunately, test driving the different models at the dealers won't tell me much, as those test drives are just too short. I would need the car for at least a weekend, and that's usually not an option.

The first model that came to mind is the new Volvo XC90. However, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a new car and they're still fairly rare on the used car market at this point. Any other suggestions? Here's what I'm looking for:
  • 3 seat rows
  • 2012 and up
  • Under 50k$

I found a Yukon on Turo... Might give this a try on our next trip in September!

2007 - 2013 Acura MDX... We, my wife, had a 2007 MDX for 7yrs with no problems & the seats are so comfortable. Most summers I drove it to Rhode Island & never ever was sore or felt tired driving it. It honestly spoiled my wife when it came to replacing it because she loved the seats in it but wanted something different.
For comparison we took my 2012 E63 last summer & after about half way there my ass was getting sore & was constantly moving around & trying different positions with no luck.
My wife now drives an ML350 but was hesitant buying it because the seats are so bland, but they are comfy, but not nearly as the MDX's are.

Last edited:
going for Volvo as well... we did a couple of trips since i purchased the XC90. but i have the R-Design seats which are a bit stiffer but with great support.
i purchased it in Sudbury, so it was a good 8-9 hours drive just to bring it home. We also went to spend a week in T.O and Niagara. It felt great the whole rides.

the mid 2000's XC70 were making lazyboys couch feel like camping chairs.

2007 - 2013 Acura MDX... We, my wife, had a 2007 MDX for 7yrs with no problems & the seats are so comfortable. Most summers I drove it to Rhode Island & never ever was sore or felt tired driving it. It honestly spoiled why wife when it came to replacing it because she loved the seats in it but wanted something different.
For comparison we took my 2012 E63 last summer & after about half way there my ass was getting sore & was constantly moving around & trying different positions with no luck.
My wife now drives an ML350 but was hesitant buying it because the seats are so bland, but they are comfy, but not nearly as the MDX's are.

Thanks! That's exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for.

going for Volvo as well... we did a couple of trips since i purchased the XC90. but i have the R-Design seats which are a bit stiffer but with great support.
i purchased it in Sudbury, so it was a good 8-9 hours drive just to bring it home. We also went to spend a week in T.O and Niagara. It felt great the whole rides.

the mid 2000's XC70 were making lazyboys couch feel like camping chairs.

Current gen or previous gen XC90?

Sit in the showroom for an afternoon.

You can get a ton of reviews but every butt and back is unique.

Sit in the showroom for an afternoon.

You can get a ton of reviews but every butt and back is unique.

If you sit in a Ford-Lincoln with the active massage seats, you'll be in there until the dealer closes.

Seriously they are insanely good.

Volvo has best seat of the industry so if that'S your criteria, then no issue.

There is currently no current gen under $50k, but I saw a few for $53-55k 2016s so you might bargain under your price.

I have a 2008 with 3 kids (all in full size kids seats) and a dog and we are impressed by the capacity. We'Re going on a 4200km road trip next week and it'S the perfect vehicle.

Volvo's do have the most comfortable seats, bar none.

Nailed it.
Even older generation seats
I am 6"3 and it is hard to be comfy.

My Equinox is a huge fail for comfort. Like cardboard and leather stapled together.
Odyssey is much better captain seats both front middle rows.

Went to see the MDX, the Q7, the XC90, the CX-9, the Atlas, the Pilot and the Explorer.

Top 3 based on overall family appreciation would be the XC90, the MDX and the Atlas. All others were ruled out for various reasons. Current gen XC90 is too expensive, so it's out also... so we're left with the MDX (used) and the Atlas (new), and possibly a previous gen XC90. Still, although first impressions were good, I can't say for sure if any of them will solve our initial complaint with the Sienna. We'll try to get an extensive test drive with these models.

Back