F1 at a crossroads over engine technology - Horner

Sustain26

Banned
F1 at a crossroads over engine technology - Horner

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/143259-f1-at-a-crossroads-over-engine-technology-horner?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_1972682

"..."Personally if it were me, I would go back to a normally-aspirated, high-revving engine, whether it's a V10 or even a V12. We're producing this car for Aston Martin [the Valkyrie] and we went to the market and did a lot of research into what people wanted.
"Did they want a modern hybrid Formula 1-type engine or did they want a normally-aspirated, high-revving engine? Overwhelmingly the response came back [in favor of a naturally-aspirated V12]..."

F1 needs to go back to NA v12s. F1 isnt about fuel economy. leave that shit to WEC.

You are aware the only V12 to win a WCC only happened once with Senna and Honda The rest were H12s... The most dominant engine, the Cosi DFV was super simple, powerful and reliable at one point powered 90% of the grid.

The new engine Formula will prob be similar to what IndyCar has. A TT v6 but f1 will have a Ker's system. The expensive bit on the cars now are the energy harvesting bit, mguk and h

Besides the current cars and engines are fast as fuck. Just very expensive. Horner would be praising them if RBR was still winning. Sound? They sound great in person.

The reality is electric is unbeatable on acceleration.

But the other fact an electric car don't have an engine.
engine create power. An electric car only uses power stored into battery.

I agree with op F1 should have a powerful power plant. V12 v8 With turbo or not.
Nuclear, Gazoline I don't really care. but the car should generate his own power.

I think F1 riding the very fine line of "being at the bleeding edge of technology" and "going fast as fuck".

Is there a need to start going one way or the other? 2 series? I dunno... but even today, the pilots can barely keep up with what the car can do, i'd even go as far to say the cars are now limited by the pilots. It used to be the opposite. How far in that direction should we go? Until it's not possible to drive a car without electronic assists at all?

I think F1 riding the very fine line of "being at the bleeding edge of technology" and "going fast as fuck".

Is there a need to start going one way or the other? 2 series? I dunno... but even today, the pilots can barely keep up with what the car can do, i'd even go as far to say the cars are now limited by the pilots. It used to be the opposite. How far in that direction should we go? Until it's not possible to drive a car without electronic assists at all?

Self driving series...

The cars are no where near the point of being " un drivable " or can barely keep up. Driving an Indy car on an oval is much more difficult.

The only time ive ever seen drivers having difficultly driving and almost passing out was that CART race in Texas in 2001. Ungodly downforce levels, insane speed and being in a turn 3/4 of the time. The avg speed in practice was around 375kph! The sustained g force for 13-15s of the lap (22s) was about 5-5.5g. There was a study done and from what I remember the sustained g load drastically increases above 355-360kph as in almost doubles. While F1 cars to see high g loading its not sustained for long periods of time, they also aren't racing on heavily banked ovals.

Self driving series...
Once you remove the human element from a racing car you might as well just run Gran Turismo on a jumbotron. Its staggering to watch the top drivers in the world go out and find that extra 2 or 3 tenths etc in qualifying. As much as I dont like HAM hes great at finding that little bit of extra time...

Back