2018 bmw m5: 600hp!

Spaceman Spiff

idva7rnncr7ypg7bonqi.jpg

Time to get friendly with your local tyre-fitter: it’s a new BMW M5. But such a clichéd intro line might not be relevant here, because BMW has succumbed and made the most famous sports saloon of them all four-wheel drive. Purists finally coming around to turbo 911 Carreras have just been dealt another blow.

They can take solace in the fact it’s not any old 4WD system. Like the one used in the latest Mercedes-AMG E63, it’s one that has fun in mind. Dubbed ‘M xDrive’ (not to be confused with MX-5), it switches to rear-drive only when you turn the stability control off. BMW’s engineers know fine well why you’re pressing that button, it seems…

The engine is a new tune of 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8, with a nice round 600hp – or 592bhp in clunkier imperial form – and 553lb ft. That pitches it somewhere between Merc’s two tunes of E63, and it’s enough for a 3.4sec 0-62mph time (the same as the quicker E63 S) and a 155mph top speed. Limited, of course. This would surely crack 200mph without the electronic nannies. Or get damn close to it.

While the 4WD system is in full force when the car starts up, the front axle only receives power when the rear tyres reach their limits. The rear axle also has a differential to best shuffle power around when you’re having fun. Good for making you look like a hero…

Your only transmission option is an eight-speed automatic – not a dual-clutch one, a traditional auto – but naturally comes with a manual mode operated through the steering wheel paddles. Or the knob, which as the pictures above confirm, is a little bit odd to look at and, presumably, to hold.

The engine, gearbox and suspension are all adjustable through many modes, as is the stability control. You can quieten down the exhaust independently of these if you want to keep yourself out of trouble. Much nerdiness goes on within the M5’s componentry, an oil pump with variable flow – to combat G forces – being a highlight.

The M5 comes on a set of 20in wheels with their own specially developed tyre, and can shroud carbon ceramic brakes if you’ve got excitable with the online configurator.

Spec those wheels in black and it’s a proper subtle sports saloon if you select the right body colour, which matt red arguably isn’t. Nice, but a bit bling. It’s the first M5 to get a carbon-reinforced plastic roof, something M3s and M4s have enjoyed for a while.

The price isn’t so subtle, at £89,640. Even a restrained options-box tick will see you hit six figures. A heck of a lot of money, but then an M5 is a heck of lot of car these days. Like the sound of this one?
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/new-bmw-m5-has-592bhp-will-drift

I mean..... at a certain point.... when is fast.... too fast ?

For some reason though I find the pictures with the black grilled one not to my liking, yet the ones with the chrome surround grills nicer

and I'm anti chrome on cars no matter where the chrome is usually

la transmission a l'air de quoi? pas offrir la manuelle est une chose, mais n'offrir qu'une transmission auto standard... yesh. Quoique je ne doute pas dutout des performances je suis curieux du feeling dans un monde de dual clutch..

So much sorcery and gadgetry, what happened to purity???

that's long gone, my friend. i would have been fine with roll-up windows, manual door mirrors, 3 pedals and no turbos, but the market demands the tech, and the manufacturers supply the tech.

The M5 lost my interest when BMW dropped the mighty V10. Not that I have that kind of money to spend on a car...

The M5 lost my interest when BMW dropped the mighty V10. Not that I have that kind of money to spend on a car...
Same for the m3 I guess... And most cars pretty much. I love n/a engines, but we'll have to get used to it I guess... Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the last n/a m3 produced 😁

Yup and it's kinda sad to see a 4.4 TT V8 making 600 hp in 2017 when a 5L V10 made 500 back in 2009. C'mon BM get ur shit together, you've got hellcats to put to shame, CTS-V, C63S etc etc etc

Mise à part les Ashpé, qu'elle est la grande différence vs une M550I.

Jadis, il y a une époque où la M5 était totalement différence à une 540 ou 550. Même chose pour les M3

Jadis, il y a une époque où la M5 était totalement différence à une 540 ou 550. Même chose pour les M3

Le 4WD sur demande et la transmission DCT. Quand meme grand comme difference, parcontre, je suis d'accord que la difference entre une M5 et une Serie 5 normale est très minime surtout au niveau look. La M3 au moins ont un wide body mais la M5 a le meme body, rien de vraiment different a part des bumpers. Plate un peu pour sa...

Ce qui en est de la motorisation, j'aime les nouveau moteurs Turbo. M5 avec une chip et downpipes est plus rapide qu'une Huracan.

Pas aussi l'fun qu'une huracan, pas mal certains.

Si ce que tu cherche c'est les bragging rights et les chiffres, les nouveaux moteurs turbo à potentiel infini sont définitivement la solution

Pas aussi l'fun qu'une huracan, pas mal certains.

Si ce que tu cherche c'est les bragging rights et les chiffres, les nouveaux moteurs turbo à potentiel infini sont définitivement la solution

Bope, vois pas le rapport avec les bragging rights dans la discussion la.....

Moi perso, j'ai jamais tripper sur des moteurs que tu dois rev leur vie pour sortir de la puissance et donc à 90% de mon commute sa se tire autant qu'une Yaris...... Chaqu'un ses préférences. J'aime aussi le son des nouvelles M3 donc je dois être fou.

Le 4WD sur demande et la transmission DCT. Quand meme grand comme difference, parcontre, je suis d'accord que la difference entre une M5 et une Serie 5 normale est très minime surtout au niveau look. La M3 au moins ont un wide body mais la M5 a le meme body, rien de vraiment different a part des bumpers. Plate un peu pour sa...

Ce qui en est de la motorisation, j'aime les nouveau moteurs Turbo. M5 avec une chip et downpipes est plus rapide qu'une Huracan.

J'ai croiser une série 6 neuve la semaine, je me demande encore si c'était une série 6 normale ou une m6 lol... Et au début de l'été je pensais avoir vu une M5 et finalement c'était une série 5 normale probablement M-Package. C'est plate en maudit qui se ressemblent autant depuis quelques années. Audi c'est pareil, certains modeles S-Line ressemble pas mal aux models S.

Bope, vois pas le rapport avec les bragging rights dans la discussion la.....

Moi perso, j'ai jamais tripper sur des moteurs que tu dois rev leur vie pour sortir de la puissance et donc à 90% de mon commute sa se tire autant qu'une Yaris...... Chaqu'un ses préférences. J'aime aussi le son des nouvelles M3 donc je dois être fou.
Je fais juste dire que parfois les chiffres c'est pas tout. Mais tu as raison, chacun ses préférences. Je préfère une voiture plus lente mais avec une expérience plus plaisante et complète derrière le volant.

Et quand même, un char de 400-500hp, même s'il est fait pour sortir plus de HP à haut régime, à bas régime il se déplace pas mal mieux qu'une Yaris pareil. 250lbs/FT à 3000rpm on est loins d'une yaris

Unrelated but anytime I see M5, I remember taking one for a ride to drop my boss at Mirabel airport then and drive back to Montreal(1998ish?), when I left him there is he said to take it easy on the way back... I did, I was scared as fuck something would happen to the car. Still remember that experience, felt like a freaking king driving that at the time.

So... that new M5? I'd take it, since then they always had a soft spot for me.

Yup and it's kinda sad to see a 4.4 TT V8 making 600 hp in 2017 when a 5L V10 made 500 back in 2009. C'mon BM get ur shit together, you've got hellcats to put to shame, CTS-V, C63S etc etc etc

La différence c'est que les v8TT est à 20% de son potentiel out-of-the-box versus le v10 n/a qui est engineered à un point tellement extrême que changer pour un exhaust aftermarket va te faire perdre du power plutot que gagner...

Les v8TT vont sortir 600hp pis tu vas probablement faire 800hp avec une tune lol ca en est ridicule, comme les gros v12TT de mercedes quand tu te mets à mettre des bolt ons et une tune tu dépasse les 800hp...

En effet, le moteur est tellement detuné... Je ne serais pas surpris qu'une fois sur une Dyno, ce soit pas loin de 600hp aux roues. Ce sera toute une bagnole, je dis juste que c'est plate que ce sera pratiquement impossible de la différencier face à une 535m pack....

J'en achèterais une demain matin quand même

Back