Small Claims Court.....No logic...

Lt_Crazy

So guys and Gals,

Just wanna vent my frustration...maybe discuss, opinions.

So Last summer i sold my vehicle, it was a 2000. Great shape, no rust, under 60 000 miles.....always took care of it never had problems. Vehicle was paid cash, passed it at 100$ at the SAAQ.

No inspection was done to truck! He checked it out himself. He's apparently a mechanic...

Guy that purchased it was from Qc city. On his way home he apparently blew the engine, note that he did more or less 200km.

So he sued me for the cost of the new motor. Roughly 8 000$. Under the claim that it was a vice cache.

Passed in court...one thing that the judge said that kinda blew my mind is that a "vice cache" does not have to be known by the seller or the buyer, but is the sellers responsibility. No proof is needed.

Fast foward to yesterday, got the court verdict. I lost....i'm baffled.

17 year old truck, i own every singly bill since 2004, my mechanic was a witness.....no bill of sale other then the procuration of the saaq that he paid it 100$.....the day of the sale i picked him up in the truck. it was working perfect....

He did have my for sale add, and his bank statement that the money was taken out of his bank account.....

anyways....discuss!

Indeed... did he have anything to prove the issue? Like a mechanic report or something? This is non-sense... you are selling a used car in good faith with service records and it shits like that.

A used vehicle, not inspected, it's 100% his responsibility, I really don't get this one.

Unless we don't have all the details... no offense to you personally but it would not be the first time we only get "part of the story" here :D

wow, what the stupid fuck.

If I sell my car tomorrow and some goober blows the engine, he can steal thousands from me? That's crazy.

And the sell price was 100$ on paper? That doesn't make any sense.

I think it's worth it to appeal. With your dossier full of invoices. It will cost you. But much less than 8K !!

The lack or a bill of sale and the 100$ declared value at the SAAQ doesn't have anything to do with a vice caché BTW. Being the original owner would have saved you I think.

^^^ i know, but he has no proof of what he paid the truck.....the law confuses me.

i fully understand.

He had 1 inspection report, but they could not find the problem. (might I add that the inspection was done at the garage he works at) The reason was that the engine failed because there was no oil in the engine....apparently not a drop, but they could not find proof that it burned oil or leaked it ....

I have a receipt that the oil was change on the same week that he picked up the vehicle. and i used it the whole week....with no issues. + lol i watched the mechanic put the oil in the truck

other then that he has bills that he purchased parts to rebuilt the engine himself.

I'm trying to get the info if i can appeal....but from what i reda on the website, the verdict of a judge in small claims court is final and you coont appeal.....

En effet, un vice caché c'est justement ça, caché. Le vendeur n'a pas besoin d'être au courant pour que ce soit un vice caché.

Un vice caché fait en sorte que la valeur du bien aurait été moindre si l'acheteur l'avait su.

Il avait un expert sur place? Qu'est-ce qui a brisé dans le moteur? Rien ne dit qu'il n'est pas responsable du bris.

$8000 pour un moteur neuf, c'est excessif. Normalement, tu aurais pu simplement lui redonner l'argent et reprendre le véhicule. Il t'as laissé la chance de le faire?

Anyway, yé pas mal trop tard, le jugement est sans appel :(

En attendant, le jugement n'est pas exécutoire. Ça veut dire que si tu ne le paye pas, il ne peut rien faire. Il doit engager un huissier/avocat à ses frais pour faire recouvrir les sommes. Tu peux le faire chier un peu en ne payant pas.

Pour ce qui est de le faire passer à $100 à la SAAQ, c'est toi qui lui a signé le papier avec $100 d'écrit dessus? Avec le jugement qui stipule clairement que le véhicule a été payé plus cher, tu pourrais le dénoncer au gouvernement pour qu'il paye les taxes en plus, j'imagine, d'une pénalité.

he dropped the oil himself to have anew engine.

Y'a moyen de vérifier si ce gars la est déjà passé en court pour d'autre truc similaire? Sa pourrai mettre la puce a l'oreille.

Btw Never trust someone from QC

^^^ lool non

Il avait un expert sur place? Qu'est-ce qui a brisé dans le moteur? Rien ne dit qu'il n'est pas responsable du bris.

Pour ce qui est de le faire passer à $100 à la SAAQ, c'est toi qui lui a signé le papier avec $100 d'écrit dessus? Avec le jugement qui stipule clairement que le véhicule a été payé plus cher, tu pourrais le dénoncer au gouvernement pour qu'il paye les taxes en plus, j'imagine, d'une pénalité.

C ca, le seul expert etait le temoignage sur papier de mon mecano.......

et t'a une idee a qui je peu le denoncer....

I was so angry when i got the verdict......i could kill someone!!

Y'a moyen de vérifier si ce gars la est déjà passé en court pour d'autre truc similaire? Sa pourrai mettre la puce a l'oreille.

Exactement ce que j'ai pensé, il aurait pu partir avec le truck, arrêter quelques part, droper l'huile.

Est tu arrivé préparé en cour, avais tu un avocat qui ta conseillé ou tu y est aller seul en étant sure qu'il ne gagnerait pas ?

Anyway, sans t'accuser de rien, peux tu poster le jugement en PDF (tu cachera tes infos personnelles) ?

J'ai lu des centaines de jugements de court de petites créances sur les vices cachés, j'ai jamais vu de jugements aussi simple que ça. Il doit avoir des subtilités quelques part, une jurisprudence, un détail clé, ou peut être tu t'es très mal défendu (no offence).
Je serais ben curieux de le lire, si tu ne l'a pas il devrait être sur Canlii.ca ou jugements.qc.ca bientôt

Exactement ce que j'ai pensé, il aurait pu partir avec le truck, arrêter quelques part, droper l'huile.

Est tu arrivé préparé en cour, avais tu un avocat qui ta conseillé ou tu y est aller seul en étant sure qu'il ne gagnerait pas ?

Les avocats sont interdits aux petites créances, à part pour se représenter eux même.
Bien sûr rien empêche de consulter, ce que op aurait visiblement dû faire même si ça va un peu contre l'esprit low cost des petites créances je trouve.

Did you get a lawyer or you made your case yourself?
That is indeed a big wtf

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Anyway, sans t'accuser de rien, peux tu poster le jugement en PDF (tu cachera tes infos personnelles) ?

J'ai lu des centaines de jugements de court de petites créances sur les vices cachés, j'ai jamais vu de jugements aussi simple que ça. Il doit avoir des subtilités quelques part, une jurisprudence, un détail clé, ou peut être tu t'es très mal défendu (no offence).
Je serais ben curieux de le lire, si tu ne l'a pas il devrait être sur Canlii.ca ou jugements.qc.ca bientôt

This, c'est le plus gros service que tu peux rendre aux membres ici.

^^^ I'll scan it when i have a bit of time.

I did in fact go see a lawyer......my lawyer laughed. Found the whole thing ridiculous!

He helped me prepare but told me not to worry about it.......

I did in fact go see a lawyer......my lawyer laughed. Found the whole thing ridiculous!

He helped me prepare but told me not to worry about it.......

Sue him... lol

PS: I know, 8k$ down the drain is not funny...

I swear there are just assholes out there. 8000$ for a replacement engine on a nearly 20 year old truck? Just be lucky he didnt claim the max amount of 15k

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Btw Never trust someone from MTL

fixed.

x2.

Do you even have physical proof the engine actually did blow? Besides a piece of paper from the place he works at? For all you know he took the old engine out and put in an other one he already had lined up.

If the truck blew on the way back to Quebec what about proof he had the truck towed?

I'm inclined to believe there's more to this story.

Back