ITT: Your car rental stories

Credit card insurance will cover that no questions asked
What hit the windshield a rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup from a truck... shouldnt be an issue ive claimed rental car damage before just witing for the final invoice and estimate

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I once did some offroading in a company-rented Jeep Cherokee in northern BC in a narrow not-for-offroading path. I got about 500 meters up when I started to think I might get stuck, so I reversed the whole way down. Passed some hikers who were really wondering what the actual fuck is an Avis Jeep Cherokee doing reversing down a horribly narrow path in the middle of the woods.

If I got stuck with that thing, I can't imagine trying to explain that to any of my colleagues. I don't even know how anyone would even be able to get me out. It was steep, laden with seriously big rocks.

Yep. Stupid af, but made it out.

Plein de petites niaiseries en char loué, pas mal tous j'ai des vidéos ou photos.

Mustang GT beignes dans un parking sur film.
(video plus bas)

MB C230k 2001 top speed pendant un bon bout sur la 440 (215kmh seulement) aussi sur film.
(video plus bas)

Resté pogné dans la bouette avec Jeep Liberty, retourné bouetté à grandeur à l'aéroport. J'ai des photos
(photos plus bas_

Peté un miroir en sortant d'un parking souterrain en France, fallait je ferme mes miroirs ça passait pas sinon...
(photo plus bas)

F350 roulé au top speed entre St-Quentin et Bathurst au Nouveau Brunswick, bien loadé ça porte smooth. Jamais vu un truck boire autant de gaz (genre 140-160kmh...)
Pas de video c'tais ben trop sketch.
wNYmtHy.jpg

Dans bien des cas j'étais jeune et inconscient je referais pas ça ajd avec trois enfants pis une blonde qui m'attendent à la maison.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ah oui j'ai aussi botté un chevreuil entre la Californie et le Nevada.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

on commence par le chevreuil (bébé une chance, parce que je rentrais au poste sur l'autoroute)

SdlS4mn.jpg

9aBOL5s.jpg

ZwDFNJi.jpg

Working in a race team I've had many rental car stories. We call it "rental rally". Best ones are:

We were driving too fast on this twisty road around Nurburgring in Germany, a slow twisty road, i.e. 60kph and below. One of the guys rolled a Skoda Octavia (VW Golf) into a ditch upside down in a hairpin. Luckily no one was hurt but the car was. The windshield wasn't cracked, one side had a few scratches but the roof skin was completely fucked. So we extended the rental for an extra 2 days, took the car back to the workshop and cut the roofskin off, welded a new one on, and re-sprayed the side & roof. We all signed the inside of the roofskin before putting the headliner back in. No one noticed when we brought it back.

Drove this Fiat 500L (the 4 seater) on a massive speedbump at maybe 70kph, and broke the oil pan. Lost all oil and oil pressure. Luckily we had just arrived at the track, and we were waiting to load in on a wednesday, so nothing to do. Jacked the car up in the parking lot, got all the oil pan bits together. We epoxyied it back together, then did a carbon fibre wet layup (basically re-enforcement) on it to make sure it held together. Bolted it back on, but we had no engine oil, so we used old race car oil the truck, so we put that in. No one noticed ;)

I was with one of the drivers after a test and we were going in town to grab dinner. He was driving (70-80kph) and he said "Pull the handbrake", which i did, but it wasn't strong enough to lock the rear wheels. He said "you have to warm it up first" (like he had done this before). Which I did, then proceeded to lock the rear wheels while driving 70-80kph. We did it a couple times (100-150m skids, smoke & everything). When we brought the car back to the rental place the next day, the tyres were VERY badly flat spotted. So we had to reverse-park and make sure the flat spot was underneath so you couldn't see it, took may tries and back and forth to make sure it was ok.

Genuine mistake, I was driving this Hyundai I30 (Accent in N/A), and going maybe 70kph, but didn't see the speed limit change to 30kph, just talking along with my colleagues. It was dark and we get to this MASSIVE speedbump. It was shaped like a table top, good kicker, flat for maybe 5m with a "landing" on the other side. Got fully airborne, my colleague in the back hit the roof, our suitcases, drinks, phones etc. went flying everywhere. On the way up on the "kicker" side the suspension bottomed out like you've never heard before. You hit a pot hole in mtl and it makes a harsh "TOC" sound, but this was more like "Tiiiiiiiinnnng" metal on metal contact. Really fucking bad. So we get to the hotel and have look underneath the car, and see an oil leak, thought we broke the oil pan, but it was actually both front shocks. Lost all their oil, the drive on the way back to the airport the next day was scary, no front damping, really bouncy on the front but still fucking awesome. Car would bounce for 2s when you hit a bump :p.

Back