Rant vs fucking Apple Corp.

lord_galathon

I hate Apple more and more as time progresses.

I used to like Apple just fine, back when I didn't have to work with Apple products, and even after I started supporting a few iPhones, iPads and even a few MacBooks and iMacs.

But the more it goes the more they over-complicate things for sysadmins and make their systems worse and worse.

The result is that now I literally have a half-dozen lightly used iPhone 5 and 6 and at least two iPad Air I can't use because the lines are disconnected and when I try to wipe them Apple's (real shitty) two factor authentication - which they enabled by default on all their fucking devices some time ago - insists on sending me a text message or voice call to...

... a disconnected line.

Then you try to recover the account because of course it's your last resort and they put you on a 24h waiting list.

Apple: You guys know these are fleet phones, you guys know I'm the sysadmin. You know how I know? Because your Apple sales reps call me regularly to make sure I continue in the more and more unlikely path to purchase Apple products.

So why the fuck am I on a 24h waiting list to recover a corporate account?

I swear I'd rather have a BluSky 70$ phone or an 80$ Polaroid Android tablet than to ever buy another Apple ever again.

At least when I wipe an Android phone it just assumes it's intentional and does it.

Apple = bullshit

/rant

DLdviiqW0AASZEl.jpg:large

This is what I get when booting up a Mac Mini for the first time. I had a new one in the closet, unopened. Core i5 class.

Immabout to drop an SSD, more RAM and Ubuntu in it - just fucking watch.

if you have proof of purchase of all the iphones and ipad apple will gladly take off find my iphone. A proof of purchase must include the name of seller, the adress of sellers and the IMEI or serial number of the device. it take about 48-96 hours I would suggest having all the POP in PDF file before calling. You can also ask to talk to a senior advisor since you have a lots of devices

PS: two-factor is the worst
PS 2: all the device are going to be wiped with this procedure

that mac mini is used or you tried connecting with an apple id in the setup

I wanted to put an Apple ID in the setup. Issue for me is that my iPad is at home where it belongs, probably sitting there with a 6 digit auth code thunk up from a bunch of moronic cultists at Apple.

Moot point now though as that Mac-Mini is now running Ubuntu after a slight tweak of the hardware:

Swapped the 500Gb HDD for a 240gb SSD
Added 6Gb RAM to total 10Gb
It actually runs Ubuntu 16.04 pretty well after a few tweaks of their own:

https://www.dizwell.com/wordpress/technical-articles/linux/perfecting-ubuntu/

That is actually ^ a pretty good guide to initial tweak Ubuntu although I didn't see the need for Wine or Python or mySQL on it.

I wanted to put an Apple ID in the setup. Issue for me is that my iPad is at home where it belongs, probably sitting there with a 6 digit auth code thunk up from a bunch of moronic cultists at Apple.

Moot point now though as that Mac-Mini is now running Ubuntu after a slight tweak of the hardware:

Swapped the 500Gb HDD for a 240gb SSD
Added 6Gb RAM to total 10Gb
It actually runs Ubuntu 16.04 pretty well after a few tweaks of their own:

https://www.dizwell.com/wordpress/technical-articles/linux/perfecting-ubuntu/

That is actually ^ a pretty good guide to initial tweak Ubuntu although I didn't see the need for Wine or Python or mySQL on it.

well you accepted 2-factor auth at some point in your life

Still haven't heard back from Apple for the reset of that Apple ID. It's been over 5 days now.

Ironically in the last week I've had two users laptops go bang in the night.

One MacBook Pro 17" that is giving the famous "gray screen of death" at bootup.

Another MacBook Pro 17" that makes lines on the screen depending on how you move/touch the bottom of the hinge.

The latter's user requested (he has the budget and authority so I have no choice) a new Mac Book Pro 15" 3.1Ghz i7 with 512Gb SSD which will cost him over 4400$+tx.

I can have two VERY good gaming laptops for 4400$+tx...

Like VERY good with nVidia 8Gb GPU, i7 class processor > 3.0Ghz and 16Gb RAM.

I suppose it's the price to pay to sponsor a religion...

Apple zealots are the prius owners of the computer world.

Ironically the demographics overlap quite a lot aswell.

I get a new iP every year from work with the largest memory capacity, the expensive ones. Heck, I gladly take it and I can work with it just fine. That being said, things happen, settings change and stuff stops working out of the fkg blue with no intervention what so ever. If I had to pay with my own money, I would have had one and it would have been the end of it.

Truth is, you never control a apple device, the apple device controls you. I'm definately NOT the personality type for those products. I feel your pain LG. I sometimes have to deal with IT Admins and it's either iPs are great or aweful for them. No middle ground.

Apple has been crap since the early 90's It used to be about the end user, now its about how much money can they grab from the end user.

i have a Iphone5 from work , SIRI sucks ass , Google now works a whole lot better and can actually answer questions instead of:" here what i found on the web for such and such"

No offense but what a god damn useless point you are reviewing lmao...

"SIRI is shit"....Who the fuck talks to his phone seriously, this shit is so useless lol

"SIRI is shit"....Who the fuck talks to his phone seriously, this shit is so useless lol

Siri est très utile en moto/auto pour passer des commandes.

Maybe for you..

I use google now to send /read text messages while i am driving, check and send emails etc.. , SIRI is not up to the task. Wasn't having a digital assistant one of apples big features ?

Google Now and Google Home spank Siri every way you want to put it.

Google Home is absolutely fantastic: Need a quick calculator? Just ask Google. Need the age/birthday of someone famous to settle an argument? Just ask Google. Weather? Google. It now even takes appointments and adds them to your agenda for you.

Plays music on demand, cast to Chromecast on demand from YouTube or Netflix (and probably more sources I haven't found out yet.)

Rien a voir avec Siri.

Google Now: Navigate to whatever address or home or any of your favorite locations: Bam! Gmaps opens up with your route.

It'll even read back your grocery list for you and automatically send you a reminder based on location: You're at IGA/Metro/SuperC/Maxi etc. and there are items on your grocery list? It will pop up on your phone with an alert and the list attached: "While you're at IGA, don't forget to pick up pineapples to carve for Halloween!"

Recipes? Done.

Je me souviens encore des jours où un certain membre "populaire" ici ne jurait que par apple même dans ses réseaux.

Pour ma part, mes déboires avec Apple sont plus profond que des Apple ID.

Des problèmes avec les protocoles de fichiers et les versions de SMB / shares pour commencer. Les clients avec des machines d'âge différents = horreur.

Apple qui peut décider de tirer sur la plug du support OSX anytime = omg.

Des présidents d'entreprise MACeux qui veulent rien entendre quand tu leur dit qu'ils s'en vont dans un mur avec un "serveur" Mac Mini.

J'en ai flushé 3 en 1 an. Tiraient trop de jus dans l'équipe, utilisateurs / gestionnaire se vautrant dans la pensée magique et carrément ingérables.

Esti de compagnie verreuse au possible avec une tactique marketing zombifiante.

J'ai une connaissance qui me demande si j'ai un contact pour vendre son iMAC late 2013... affiche ca 1300$, le laisserait partir pour 1150$... !! Voyons donc esti c'est pire qu'une secte le monde Apple. Ils vivent sur une autre planète.

J'suis d'accord avec plusieurs points mentionnés dans ce thread, mais il faut donner à Apple ce qui lui revient.

Si je compare les 3 high-end machines que j'ai possédées dernièrement:
- Asus Republic-of-Gaming
- Lenovo business line
- Macbook Pro

Le Macbook Pro, d'un point de vue matériel, est celui qui a le mieux vieillit.

- Asus après 3 ans: batterie 30-40% moins durable, problèmes de surchauffe (carte vidéo qui cause des blue screens, fans qui veulent faire décoller le laptop de terre, etc), problèmes matériels (mouse pad qui skip, connecteur de power qui casse facilement à a jonction du motherboard, etc)
- Lenovo après 3 ans: mieux que le Asus, mais affichait tout de même sa vieillesse au niveau de la batterie, du feeling des boutons, des fans qui devenaient de plus en plus bruyantes, etc.
- Macbook Pro après 3 ans: rien, nada. Batterie qui a préservé 90+% de sa capacité, aucun problème de surchauffe, aucun problème matériel, les touches et boutons aussi fermes que le jour #1, pas un défaut sur le casing très résistant, écran Retina aussi awesome que le jour #1, sans blague je pourrais le remettre dans la boîte et prétendre qu'il est neuf

Il y en a qui vont me dire qu'ils "lead" une firme IT, qu'ils voient pleins de bris, blah blah blah, le fait est qu'ils n'ont pas personnellement possédé de high-end Macbook Pro durant plus de 3 ans. Ici aussi (chez SAP) on roule beaucoup de devices Apple et mon expérience se reflète aussi auprès de mes collègues qui ont choisi un MBP plutôt qu'un Lenovo.

Back