Ticket in NYS

there is no information on the ticket cost and the amount of points. I need to go to court or plead guilty to find out.....pretty dumb system but I guess it makes more people just pay.

No you don't. You'll receive the official ticket in the mail.

Next time:
1) Call the court clerk in NY and ask if there's a reduction request form or procedure (most NYS courts have one).
2) Get your driving history report from the SAAQ (ideally, showing no points).
3) Send reduction request with driving history to local assistant district attorney's (ADA) office for that court.
4) Receive reduction offer.
5) If any points, call assistant district attorney's office for that court and politely ask for reduction to a no-points (e.g., parking, seat-belt, etc.) offence.
6) I don't know about QC yet, but some NY points have transferred to ON.
7) If you do get any (or perhaps over some number of) points in NY, whether or not they transfer, expect a letter from NY DMV with an ADDITIONAL SURCHARGE!
8) Make sure to PAY the additional DMV surcharge and save all receipts!!!

I once paid a NYS ticket, plus the surcharge, but the payment never got properly attributed by NY DMV, which apparently suspended my NY "driving privilege" as a result. The border saw that in my file upon entry one day, called NYS police who sent a trooper that ferried me to a judge after hours (fortunate as otherwise the trooper said I'd have to spend the night in jail). I'm not sure whether the judge believed my story or not, but he gave me 2 weeks to resolve the matter and the trooper brought me back to my car with an instruction to return directly to Canada (okay to come back down through Vermont), but not to drive in NY until resolved. I called the other jurisdiction and after several back and forth calls received a very apologetic letter indicating that everything had in fact been paid, and on time! Faxed that to the 2nd ADA and court and all was well, but what a nightmare process!

5) If any points, call assistant district attorney's office for that court and politely ask for reduction to a no-points (e.g., parking, seat-belt, etc.) offence.
6) I don't know about QC yet, but some NY points have transferred to ON.

the points in NYS are irrelevant only the type of infraction

when Quebec (saaq) is advised of the infraction they select the number of point that fit to that type of infraction

the info is in the CSR rules

what he said^ quebec decides on the points as if the infraction was made here.

as for the ticket it has been almost 1 year now...pleaded guilty with my explanation and never heard back from them..

Back