Need internet provider

NICOBKN

My mother in law wants to get internet for her place but it looks like she's forced to go with bell in the building she lives in.
Bell sent a tech yesterday for the install. She was promised 5mb download for $58/month unlimited ( how does that even make sense). The tech finishes his installation and after testing the connection he gets 0.8mb download. He tried calling bell but couldn't get any help and left. He told my mother in law to call bell so they can send a new tech.
Anyway I called bell to find out what the problem was and they pretty much told me they couldn't do better and to contact another internet provider. I called videotron and they are saying bell had an agreement with the building and they can't offer internet.

What other options are there? According to bell they can't get more than 5mb download in the area.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

My mother in law wants to get internet for her place but it looks like she's forced to go with bell in the building she lives in.
Bell sent a tech yesterday for the install. She was promised 5mb download for $58/month unlimited ( how does that even make sense). The tech finishes his installation and after testing the connection he gets 0.8mb download. He tried calling bell but couldn't get any help and left. He told my mother in law to call bell so they can send a new tech.
Anyway I called bell to find out what the problem was and they pretty much told me they couldn't do better and to contact another internet provider. I called videotron and they are saying bell had an agreement with the building and they can't offer internet.

What other options are there? According to bell they can't get more than 5mb download in the area.

WTF? Where do they live Rigaud rural area?

Ponte claire, across lakeshore hospital.

I know what the hell

How you tested that speed ? If it's his download speed is in fact is faster than he is supposed to be.

5mbps is equal to 0.625MB/s.

How you tested that speed ? If it's his download speed is in fact is faster than he is supposed to be.

5mbps is equal to 0.625MB/s.
He said the area was capable of 25mb, and that we should call bell to upgrade. But when calling bell they say the max is 5mb. I wasn't there for the install but that's what my mother in law was told, that out of 5mb he was getting 0.8mb

I'm at her place right now and this is what I'm getting

I thought 5mb equals to 5mb download and not 0.625 mb/s
abd6112cb6353155eff93d1659bf8d76.jpg

It looks like she's going to switch to acanac. 6mb instead of 5mb, it's $20 cheaper and no contract.

Thanks guys

BELL need to fix that problem or you'll keep getting the same crappy connection but for 20$ less.

I'm with TekSavvy on 15/10 for 35.95$ and after the circus with BELL during activation (moron in central too stupid to read something completely and got into a debate with BELL tech at my house before realizing there was more on the page) it's always on the dot with speed.

It looks like she's going to switch to acanac. 6mb instead of 5mb, it's $20 cheaper and no contract.

Thanks guys

Ca ne changera rien. Ca passe par le même fils (celui de Bell).

Ils en réussiront pas à faire mieux.

Ponte claire, across lakeshore hospital.

I know what the hell

OK. Pointe-Claire have a grandfather clause with Bell on some areas and buildings = sucks.

I've been saying it for years: Bell is the worst telecom company since the inception of Internet back in 1972.

It might be that back in the old days of POTS, the cut-off for "long distance" in Montreal was Dorval, right off Pointe-Claire near the 20. Some of the West-Island old timers might remember this.

The main Bell station used to be in the (I think now demolished) mall near Sources/20 - where Fonzie's Bar used to be right under that overpass.

Beyond that was still Bell but another division so calling there was a long distance call.

I remember having to dial 1-514-630-xxxx to call from Pointe-Claire to Dorval back in the days of rotary phones.

Anyways - the commercial building where I work has a similar issue: Bell "owns" the conduit into the building and won't allow any other provider in. I managed to get Cogeco in because I had contacts there from a decade ago, who used to work for Bell, and got me a "deal" where COGECO has to pay a 200$/month lease to Bell for the "right of passage" of their fibre into the Bell conduit. (Which of course they convey to us...)

Imagine: 100/100 Unlimited commercial fibre connection from Bell in my building was quoted at 1200$ in 2014. The exact same connection through Cogeco, even with the 200$ extra we're paying Bell costs us 700$/month and despite all kinds of companies calling me to try and get our Internet business, nobody can beat that price since the conduit is owned by Bell.

I'm waiting for the next time someone digs up asphalt on the street here to get our building manager to drop our own conduit in there so we can have a real open market.

That's why for me Bell = mafia.

as tu testé ta vitesse directement a partir du positif de raccordement ou bien a partir de tes prise de tel conventionnelle? (j'imagine que c'est du ADSL)

Assure toi que le tech a pas oublié de mettre un filtre sur un de tes téléphone dans la maison, et test avec le modem directement dans le paneau pres de ton entrée électrique.

Si la vitesse est #1 a partir de ton panneau électrique ca veut dire que tu as un trouble avec une ou des prises de tel dans la maison.

Sinon Bell peut toujours tester la ligne et voir pour retirer des bridge tap afin daméliorer ta vitesse.

OK. Pointe-Claire have a grandfather clause with Bell on some areas and buildings = sucks.

I've been saying it for years: Bell is the worst telecom company since the inception of Internet back in 1972.

It might be that back in the old days of POTS, the cut-off for "long distance" in Montreal was Dorval, right off Pointe-Claire near the 20. Some of the West-Island old timers might remember this.

The main Bell station used to be in the (I think now demolished) mall near Sources/20 - where Fonzie's Bar used to be right under that overpass.

Beyond that was still Bell but another division so calling there was a long distance call.

I remember having to dial 1-514-630-xxxx to call from Pointe-Claire to Dorval back in the days of rotary phones.

Anyways - the commercial building where I work has a similar issue: Bell "owns" the conduit into the building and won't allow any other provider in. I managed to get Cogeco in because I had contacts there from a decade ago, who used to work for Bell, and got me a "deal" where COGECO has to pay a 200$/month lease to Bell for the "right of passage" of their fibre into the Bell conduit. (Which of course they convey to us...)

Imagine: 100/100 Unlimited commercial fibre connection from Bell in my building was quoted at 1200$ in 2014. The exact same connection through Cogeco, even with the 200$ extra we're paying Bell costs us 700$/month and despite all kinds of companies calling me to try and get our Internet business, nobody can beat that price since the conduit is owned by Bell.

I'm waiting for the next time someone digs up asphalt on the street here to get our building manager to drop our own conduit in there so we can have a real open market.

That's why for me Bell = mafia.

BTW si le conduit est plein Bell se garde de la capacité excédentaire. Bell doit etre en mesure de remplacer le plus gros des cable présent dans le conduit en urgence et doit etre en mesure d'abandonné le vieux au besoins. C'est pour ca qui laisse pas n'importe qui utiliser les conduit comme il le veulent. Cogeco a juste a placer son propre conduit.

BTW si le conduit est plein Bell se garde de la capacité excédentaire. Bell doit etre en mesure de remplacer le plus gros des cable présent dans le conduit en urgence et doit etre en mesure d'abandonné le vieux au besoins. C'est pour ca qui laisse pas n'importe qui utiliser les conduit comme il le veulent. Cogeco a juste a placer son propre conduit.

On a essayé - la ville de Pointe-Claire veut pas qu'on creuse l'asphalte pour se rendre au poteau qui est en face sur le trottoir et refusent de nous émettre le permis.

De plus a cause du type de manufacture on a pas le droit a des fils aériens.

On a essayé - la ville de Pointe-Claire veut pas qu'on creuse l'asphalte pour se rendre au poteau qui est en face sur le trottoir et refusent de nous émettre le permis.

De plus a cause du type de manufacture on a pas le droit a des fils aériens.

ca va devenir de plus en plus dure avec les année ouvrir les rues, les villes ont trop de plaintes parce que les différent intervenant se parle pas. Les citoyens sont écoeurer ont le vie surtout a montreal/toronto. Ils mettent des moratoire de 10ans une fois que la rue a été refermé.

Sinon on se ramasse avec des cas ou: La munipalité refait l'asphalte, 3 mois apres la telecom était pas au courant pi a besoins de passer ses conduit donc elle rouve l'asphalte a nouveau, 3 mois apres ta gaz metro qui lui aussi veut acces a ses tuyau fak on rouve encore au meme endroit.

C'est le bordel lol.

Oui surement ! mais quand meme bell veut $58 vs acanac a $29-39.

Merci

Acanac is straight garbage. We were with them years ago and the service was down constantly. I don't remember how many times we've had to call them. And forget about getting any service in french.

Plus, you had to pay for 1 year up front instead of monthly payments.

It's a shit company. I don't know if it's changed since then, but I definitely wouldn't recommend them.

Back