Connection from computer to TV to Home theatre

Vince920

Long story short, old set-up: Computer (Dell Thinkcenter) -> HDMI -> TV (Samsung plasma) -> RCA cable -> Home Theater (Harman Kardon HS100)

New set-up: Computer -> HDMI -> Sony X900E -> Optical cable -> Home Theater

The only thing that changed is the TV basically, now the old set-up worked fine, got the sound from my HT. But I am unable to get the sound on the new set-up. I tried with the RCA cable at fist to no avail, then tried the optical cable, which doesn't work either.

The HT doesn't have a HDMI connection so that's out of the question. I just want to be able to use it without having to buy a new HT. I also have my XboxOne and PS4 plugged in the TV through HDMI.

Also I did try and play with the TV settings, change from TV speaker to Audio System, still doesn't work.

Can someone help.

Thanks.

can you select different audio sources from said video input ? meaning, video input 1 with audio input #2. I had to do that on my setup because the sound came from optical, just like you, but the video came from a different source.

Il me semble que ça devrait être.

PC > Amplificateur > TV

Non?

En tout cas c'est comme ça que c'est branché chez moi.

PC, XBOX, Playstation, Switch et le lecteur Blu-Ray sont branchés sur l'amplificateur via HDMI et/ou Câble optique.

Ensuite le signal vidéo est envoyé vers la tv selon l'entrée sélectionnée.

Edit: Je fail... je n'ai pas lu que ton ampli n'avait pas de connexion HDMI. :D

Long story short, old set-up: Computer (Dell Thinkcenter) -> HDMI -> TV (Samsung plasma) -> RCA cable -> Home Theater (Harman Kardon HS100)

New set-up: Computer -> HDMI -> Sony X900E -> Optical cable -> Home Theater

The only thing that changed is the TV basically, now the old set-up worked fine, got the sound from my HT. But I am unable to get the sound on the new set-up. I tried with the RCA cable at fist to no avail, then tried the optical cable, which doesn't work either.

The HT doesn't have a HDMI connection so that's out of the question. I just want to be able to use it without having to buy a new HT. I also have my XboxOne and PS4 plugged in the TV through HDMI.

Also I did try and play with the TV settings, change from TV speaker to Audio System, still doesn't work.

Can someone help.

Thanks.

Try enabling the optical audio passthru in the audio settings of the TV if it's available. That's how I output the sound from the TV antenna to my HT receiver as the TV doesn't have HDMI out (although ARC should do the trick.) Note that a quick google of your TV model indicates that (as usual) Sony failed to implement something basic in one of their products as in at least two forums that I saw, people are waiting for firmware updates to solve issues with the optical out cutting.

Finally make sure your HT receiver is set to the correct source... I know it sound stupid but you want to check that the signal gets there too. Normally once you select the correct source you should have an indicator light or something on the display to show the type of signal it's receiving (PCM, DTS, DD, etc...) if you don't see that, ask yourself the question and don't forget to make sure the speakers are turned on (buttons in front of the receiver... basic but easy to forget.)

To be honest, as good as your Harman Kardon receiver may be, it will come one day where you'll have to just say fuck it and get yourself a receiver with HDMI in/outs. I have an excellent Panasonic HT receiver sitting in a plastic bag downstairs because precisely that reason.

Alright so just to keep you good guys in the loop, my boss had an old Sony DA3000ES receiver he brought to work and it was just collecting dust in the breakroom. He just told me to take it and try see if it works. After a bit of fiddling and looking at the manual online, I managed to get the HT to work.

I tried all I could with the Harman Kardon but like LG said, it was just too much for it.

Thanks for the support!

can you select different audio sources from said video input ? meaning, video input 1 with audio input #2. I had to do that on my setup because the sound came from optical, just like you, but the video came from a different source.

Everything is connected to the TV and only sound is send to the HT. No video.

Everything is connected to the TV and only sound is send to the HT. No video.

yes i know, but when you select the input on your receiver, it select the video source but sometimes, you can change the audio input related of that video input. ie VIDEO1+AUDIO3 instead of VIDEO1+AUDIO1.

anyway if it works now with another receiver, I guess your problem is fixed now :)

Back