Ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask

On the 20 East bound near 1st avenue where the taxi/EV priority lane ends and is forced to merge.... who is supposed to yield to who?

Are ubers considered taxis for the purposes of that lane? all ubers I've taken from the airport are afraid AF to use it

zipper like everywhere else...
Wait until end of lane, slam the breaks and steer in front of oncoming cars, than proceed to accelerate at turtle pace. Finish with one last tap on the break to make sure to not exceed the minimum postes speed limit.

So I've been curious about catch cans (for blow-by gasses) on cars with both direct fuel injection AND port injection. A lot of 86/BRZ guys install catch cans on their despite having port injection to wash off the intake valves (in addition to direct injection). My understanding was that catch cans were used to keep your intake valves from being covered in carbon deposits from blow-by as they weren't washed off due to the absence of port-injected fuel...but that's not the case.

...so why use one? I'm talking about on engines that don't see any track days, and are generally in good condition with regular spirited street driving.

So I've been curious about catch cans (for blow-by gasses) on cars with both direct fuel injection AND port injection. A lot of 86/BRZ guys install catch cans on their despite having port injection to wash off the intake valves (in addition to direct injection). My understanding was that catch cans were used to keep your intake valves from being covered in carbon deposits from blow-by as they weren't washed off due to the absence of port-injected fuel...but that's not the case.

...so why use one? I'm talking about on engines that don't see any track days, and are generally in good condition with regular spirited street driving.
An*oil catch tank*(oil catch can) is a device that is fitted into the cam/crank case ventilation system on a car. Installing an oil catch tank (can) aims to reduce the amount of oil vapors re-circulated into the intake of the engine.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

An*oil catch tank*(oil catch can) is a device that is fitted into the cam/crank case ventilation system on a car. Installing an oil catch tank (can) aims to reduce the amount of oil vapors re-circulated into the intake of the engine.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
yes, i understood that, but why would you want to inhibit that? It's part of the design intent and shouldn't be a problem whatsoever if you have port injection.

You dont want pressure in the crank case. The oem system is design to relieve pressure by venting it (and sucking it back in the intake to reduce polution). Oil vapors in the combustion chamber can generate knock earlier.

A catch can allows to 'suck' the vapors out and collect it in a can instead of back in the intake (which should be drained once in a while). Make sure you have a check valve.to avoid boosting in the crank case.

Some peoplw just put a small breather filter. The issue is that under this allows outside air to go in the engine while a catch can/check valve setup keeps air out of the engine.

yes, i understood that, but why would you want to inhibit that? It's part of the design intent and shouldn't be a problem whatsoever if you have port injection.

it's the oil vapour that form the carbon residu in the intake valve.

when it's port injected, the fuel washes it off... not in direct injection as you mentionned.

It's a anti-pollution device and as many think that those device remove power ..they simply remove it by installing a catch can.

totally useless on a port injection unless you are at a pretty higly level of modification ..as oil vapour can be bad for certain level of tune (we are taking pretty high HP, boost/nitrous application...none that a stock bottom end would endure.

even somewhat useless in a direct injection sa it takes up to 200k km to have an intake valve "issue" with this.

You dont want pressure in the crank case. The oem system is design to relieve pressure by venting it (and sucking it back in the intake to reduce polution). Oil vapors in the combustion chamber can generate knock earlier.

A catch can allows to 'suck' the vapors out and collect it in a can instead of back in the intake (which should be drained once in a while). Make sure you have a check valve.to avoid boosting in the crank case.

Some peoplw just put a small breather filter. The issue is that under this allows outside air to go in the engine while a catch can/check valve setup keeps air out of the engine.

You want to keep positive pressure in the crankcase bro.

This is why you don't want to buy a catch can but a pcv can.

^^^
I dont agree. On a turbo car you want to avoid knock at all cost. Oil vapors is bad for detonation no mater what.

la necessité d'une catch can a rien a voir avec le type d'injection.

C'est plus quand tu augmente le power d'un char, tu augmente aussi la pression dans panne.

Plus de pression dans panne = plus de pression qui sort par les pcv valve, et la pluspart des fabricant recircule la pcv vers l'intake donc les risque que l'auto consomme de l'huile et pre-tone a cause des wet spot d'huile augmente.

La catch can vient filtrer l'air afin de récupéré les dépots d'huile. Certains augmente aussi la grosseur des pcv pour relacher encore plus la pression, tu peux aussi relie la catch can au coté aspiration du turbo, alors le turbo agit comme une pompe a vacuum pour relacher encore plus de pression dans panne.

Moins tu as de pression dans la panne, plus tes rings vont sealer correctement. C'es a peu pres ca.

Je comprends même pas votre astie de joke allez donc chier.

tumblr_mztawvhN8K1smfzl0o3_400.gifv

Why do diesel truck exhausts have those openings at the end or have the shape of a horn getting big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's the oil vapour that form the carbon residu in the intake valve.

when it's port injected, the fuel washes it off... not in direct injection as you mentionned.

It's a anti-pollution device and as many think that those device remove power ..they simply remove it by installing a catch can.

totally useless on a port injection unless you are at a pretty higly level of modification ..as oil vapour can be bad for certain level of tune (we are taking pretty high HP, boost/nitrous application...none that a stock bottom end would endure.

even somewhat useless in a direct injection sa it takes up to 200k km to have an intake valve "issue" with this.

Vas dire ca au prorios des premier 2.0l turbo injection direct chez vw...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Why do diesel truck exhausts have those openings at the end or have the shape of a horn getting big?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pour refroidir les gaz d’échappement avant de les évacuer dans l’air

Vas dire ca au prorios des premier 2.0l turbo injection direct chez vw...

J.en ai eu un FSI et a 200K km il roulait encore 1#....c'était une job de 4-500$ a faire faire...pas la fin du monde.(un changement d'huile DSG et timing belt pour plus cher chacun!)

Back