Ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask

I remember back when I was studying engineering, this prof told us about how most car manufacturers can make cars that can last a life time yet they 'time' their parts to go out otherwise there wouldn't be much of a business. Perhaps that's also why most cars start to see problems after 3-4 years (conveniently when the warranty runs out)

I don't understand why they would do that. Yes you will be buying a new car but would you buy from the same manufacturer if your car started having lots of problems as soon as the warranty ran out after 3 years/60k?

Real life stories: my buddy leases a new Corolla for three years; dealer calls after two years, offers a new Corolla with better equipment for about the same monthly price, no loss on the return vehicle. Rinse and repeat. He's a medium to high mileage user. Guys like me who buy used get stuck with damaged goods ($1000 clutch replacement on my 161k km '04 CR-V) - but my mileage doesn't justify a monthly lease, so I might stay ahead of the price curve, if the vehicle doesn't need more repairs until 2019. Insurance is cheap(er).

I don't understand why they would do that. Yes you will be buying a new car but would you buy from the same manufacturer if your car started having lots of problems as soon as the warranty ran out after 3 years/60k?

The thing is, ALL companies do that so it's not like we have a choice. Maintenance/parts/repairs are a sizeable part of the business as well as financing.
I forgot which one but there's a car company that makes as much in loaning (interest on financing/leasing) than selling cars

I remember back when I was studying engineering, this prof told us about how most car manufacturers can make cars that can last a life time yet they 'time' their parts to go out otherwise there wouldn't be much of a business. Perhaps that's also why most cars start to see problems after 3-4 years (conveniently when the warranty runs out)
My teacher told me that too lol

I think it could be possible to make a car 90% more reliable

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

J'ai eu un flash ajd,
quand j'entreprose mes summer toys je les laisse full assuré, mais faut tu que j'avertisse mon assurance qu'il est dans un garage pour 6 mois ?
J'voirais pas pourquuoi mais on sait jamais ...

J'ai eu un flash ajd,
quand j'entreprose mes summer toys je les laisse full assuré, mais faut tu que j'avertisse mon assurance qu'il est dans un garage pour 6 mois ?
J'voirais pas pourquuoi mais on sait jamais ...

No you don’t have to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tes pas oublié, mais si te le fais, ils vont te donner un crédit, je reçoit un 20-25% de crédit par année en déclarant qu'ils sont remisés

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

components on cars are designed and optimized to the absolute limit. 0.5 cent savings per part will amount to 500k over the life of that vehicle program. It really isn't just as easy as making components beefier. we need to make components as light as possible with the most economic viable material available. not everyone is making a Mclaren 720s

Components are designed for a 95th percentile usage. For example, designing a cooling system that will tow full trailer load going up a Nevada 5% climb for 20mins at 45C while going 85km/h. The data is all logged and the high stress points are concentrated and makes up an accelerated stress test. Components are not timed to let go, they're designed so that the data shows 9X% confidence that 9X% of the parts will pass for the designed lifespan.

Car manufacturing is so optimized now. That's why I'm so skeptical of Hyundai/Kia that undercut the competition by a serious margin. Most OEM's use the same tier 1 suppliers, the same assembly techniques, they must be lower their target reliability/ lifespan of components.

Tes pas oublié, mais si te le fais, ils vont te donner un crédit, je reçoit un 20-25% de crédit par année en déclarant qu'ils sont remisés

x2
Moi aussi je les appelle et je sauve quelques dollars.

1) Why are there almost no cars sold with rear fog lights in Canada when on days like today they'd be totally awesome? (But a huge amount of cars have front foglights...)

2) Alloys. Why? Often alloy wheels are heavier, more delicate and more expensive than steelies with hubcaps so why do almost all new cars come with alloys?

3) Headlamps that get cloudy because of UV rays still even on recent cars. Why? Haven't they figured out how to make plastic that is UV resistant yet? What was wrong with glass headlights? Some 20 year old cars with glass headlamp enclosures still look new, yet on cars as recent as 2012/13 you can see that yellow bullshit creep up.

4) Nothing against LED brake/rear/flashers but LED Headlamps should be illegal. Yes or no?

Headlamps around here normally get foggy due to road de-icer blasting them all winter.

As far as direct injection engines, you need to do the valves every 60,000km or so. I think it would help if it had an injector in the intake that sprayed every minute or so to keep them cleaner.

---

Why don't performance cars come with "performance" buttons, that you can keep off on daily driving to increase fuel economy and engine life, such as the M cars and Porsche turbo cars. I know that the 911s send it into "overboost", but why not have a "commute" option?.

Same here.

Tu restes assuré pour vol vandalisme feu etc mais vu que ça roule pas leur risque est minime.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1) Why are there almost no cars sold with rear fog lights in Canada when on days like today they'd be totally awesome? (But a huge amount of cars have front foglights...)

Because people don't know when and how to use them.

Also, they prefer using their hazards which IMO is worse and you think they are stranded/stopped/in the ditch instead.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Headlamps around here normally get foggy due to road de-icer blasting them all winter.

I go to South Carolina often and they also have loads of yellow foggy headlamps. I'm not sure how much de-icer they use in their winter, but it's almost certainly due to UV rays from the sun. Christ even the Cadillac - pourtant a 2012 model/year - has a headlamp that is starting to show some signs of foggy. As usual the one that's parked in the driveway towards the sun.

You'd think after all these years they'd learn...

What's the legal decibel output in Canada ( Quebec ) for OEM's and performance exhausts? With the AMG's, Abarth's and everything with variable exhaust notes, the CSR is definitely unclear.

Wants to put a Borla catback on a car, rated at a maximum of 95db which is 50 states legal.

Why the new Corolla have fricking laser beam for headlight?

LED_Headlights.jpg

Back