Gas Consumption

G-Bus

Everyone says that the advertised gas consumption on cars is always wrong, and I’d usually agree but I was honestly surprised after my travels over the holidays.

900ef4e21a7f953682aca46829c49349.jpg

After 400 kms of city driving and back home;

e85b2fb019140834596536786c4a6428.jpg

My car is rated at 7.3L on the highway and I managed to do much less driving 120-130 average with 4 people and full trunk. Same when coming back. Quite surprised.

Maybe you put a higher than recommended grade? Most cars that require "super" will require 89 or 91. Fiat recommends 91 in the Abarth, but whenever I get a chance I put 94 (Ultramar I think is the only one near me) and the gas mileage improves.

Maybe you put a higher than recommended grade? Most cars that require "super" will require 89 or 91. Fiat recommends 91 in the Abarth, but whenever I get a chance I put 94 (Ultramar I think is the only one near me) and the gas mileage improves.

I stuck to 91. Some places indeed had 93. But even with that, would it make THAT much of a difference vs 91?

Havent tried 91 on the fiesta. Ford recommends 87. People have tried to see the difference in power on a dyno between 87 and 91 and the car made more power on 87.

Its not every car that will run better by default by putting '' super ''. The car has to be tuned for that kind of fuel to make it worth.

Havent tried 91 on the fiesta. Ford recommends 87. People have tried to see the difference in power on a dyno between 87 and 91 and the car made more power on 87.

Its not every car that will run better by default by putting '' super ''. The car has to be tuned for that kind of fuel to make it worth.

Yeah I know. My car is tuned for 91 from factory. Like I was saying earlier I do see a difference with 87.

But we're not talking about power are we?

Many cars - specially turbofied cars - will not run any better/worse but they'll yield more power with the recommended spec fuel because they're tuned that way from factory. However that doesn't preclude that SOME of them might (as in the case of my car) get better mileage with higher octane with no discernable loss of performance.

Is it worth the extra cost of the higher rated fuel vs better mileage? No idea. But the theory is sound all things being equal.

Ahh I knew this would turn into an octane arguement..

Sent from my Redmi Note 5A Prime using Tapatalk

have you calculated by hand to see if the millage is accurate? i know my gf truck to get the real number ou have to caculate by hand witch always end up being 2L/100km more vs what the on board computer tell me.

have you calculated by hand to see if the millage is accurate? i know my gf truck to get the real number ou have to caculate by hand witch always end up being 2L/100km more vs what the on board computer tell me.

Yeah, comes out to the same.

What car is that?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk

BMW 5 Series with the 3L 6cyl NA engine.

Back