Not Another 2002 Project! Ernest’s 1974 build.

MildSeven

Legacy Member

That’s right folks, the Mimosa Mechanics are back in 2018 and this time we’ll be working on a 1974 BMW 2002.

I’ll be doing the majority of the documentation for this project because; A) Ernest (aka Bob Jones) is a lazy SOB B) he treats us like his secretaries and C) I kind of enjoy it.

For those of you who haven’t seen my 1976 2002 restoration project and Eurokracy 2017 show’n’shine winner, I invite you to read it here: The Short History of an Old BMW (2002 project)... for those of you who are familiar with my resto-mod project, this one will be even bigger, so be sure to subscribe for updates.

I’m not the owner of this 2002 but I’m excited because it won’t be me spending money or getting stressed out. Helping Ernest will not be without it’s stress (trust me, he's a dick), especially because he’s relying heavily on myself and Kosta (and he's a dick).​

Mommy where do 2002s come from?

A few years ago, after I bought my 02 but before the restoration began… Ernest invited Kosta and I to come check out a 1974 2002, we obliged and accompanied him. The car was in pretty decent condition given its age, I mean, I did not know what I know now about 2002s, but still. The owner was on the fence about the sale, as was Ernest with the purchase. Nothing came of that meeting, it was kind of expected given that Ernest is a COLOSSAL choker. I should mention the owner is an acquaintance of Ernest’s wife, Mel.

Fast forward a few years, Christmas day 2017, Ernest receives a Christmas card from his wife. The card contains a key, fortunately it was not the key to her heart but rather a key to a 1974 Chamonix white BMW 2002. It was the 2002 we had previously scoped out, it hadn’t moved from storage since we visited it, apparently the owner was fed up of storing it.

The Friday following Christmas, Ernest invited Kosta, Ardo and I over to assess what he was getting himself in to. Ardo will be doing what he specializes in, fabrication and building the engine. We went over the known trouble areas without really digging in to the car. The body is pretty solid aside from the little bits of rust (particularly on the fenders) but those are easy to find and replace. We noted down the few parts which were visibly in need of replacement and told Ernest to get his wallet out. That concluded the high-level assessment meeting and Ernest promptly kicked out the 2 non-Armenians.

I made a high level plan of action for the project and compiled a list of items Ernest will likely need replace, mostly seals and gaskets, including cost/shop. We will evaluate the pieces as we go but at least he has an idea of what he's getting in to and a few fn' amazing friends.​

This week we will be starting the disassembly, wish us luck.
Anthony, Ernest's bitch

25746460238_b087c3ec4b_q.jpg

Last edited:

That’s right folks, the Mimosa Mechanics are back in 2018 and this time we’ll be working on a 1974 BMW 2002.

I’ll be doing the majority of the documentation for this project because; A) Ernest (aka Bob Jones) is a lazy SOB B) he treats us like his secretaries and C) I kind of enjoy it.

For those of you who haven’t seen my 1976 2002 restoration project and Eurokracy 2017 show’n’shine winner, I invite you to read it here: The Short History of an Old BMW (2002 project)... for those of you who are familiar with my resto-mod project, this one will be even bigger, so be sure to subscribe for updates.

I’m not the owner of this 2002 but I’m excited because it won’t be me spending money or getting stressed out. Helping Ernest will not be without it’s stress (trust me, he's a dick), especially because he’s relying heavily on myself and Kosta (and he's a dick).​

Mommy where do 2002s come from?

A few years ago, after I bought my 02 but before the restoration began… Ernest invited Kosta and I to come check out a 1974 2002, we obliged and accompanied him. The car was in pretty decent condition given its age, I mean, I did not know what I know now about 2002s, but still. The owner was on the fence about the sale, as was Ernest with the purchase. Nothing came of that meeting, it was kind of expected given that Ernest is a COLOSSAL choker. I should mention the owner is an acquaintance of Ernest’s wife, Mel.

Fast forward a few years, Christmas day 2017, Ernest receives a Christmas card from his wife. The card contains a key, fortunately it was not the key to her heart but rather a key to a 1974 Chamonix white BMW 2002. It was the 2002 we had previously scoped out, it hadn’t moved from storage since we visited it, apparently the owner was fed up of storing it.

The Friday following Christmas, Ernest invited Kosta, Ardo and I over to assess what he was getting himself in to. Ardo will be doing what he specializes in, fabrication and building the engine. We went over the known trouble areas without really digging in to the car. The body is pretty solid aside from the little bits of rust (particularly on the fenders) but those are easy to find and replace. We noted down the few parts which were visibly in need of replacement and told Ernest to get his wallet out. That concluded the high-level assessment meeting and Ernest promptly kicked out the 2 non-Armenians.

I made a high level plan of action for the project and compiled a list of items Ernest will likely need replace, mostly seals and gaskets, including cost/shop. We will evaluate the pieces as we go but at least he has an idea of what he's getting in to and a few fn' amazing friends.​

This week we will be starting the disassembly, wish us luck.
Anthony, Ernest's bitch

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4607/25746460238_b087c3ec4b_q.jpg

Subd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at this thread!

Some more history about the car: Previous owner bought it in 2002 and It's been practically in a garage collecting dust since then. Prior to that, the owner’s friend had it for a few years and before that the car was purchased from a shop called Norbert. Story goes that some guy dropped it off at Norbert for major repairs but could not pay for it. Therefore the owner of the shop kept the car and eventually sold it.
I did some research and was not able to find such a garage, if anyone knows anything about this old shop I would appreciate the info just to get a backstory to the car.

Wish us luck boys this will probably be the end of me!

Just getting the registration done was a pain in the ass but shout out to Transfer Tony for straightening it all out. If anyone wants to register an old car and not deal with all the BS, he's highly recommended.

Nice !!! 2oo2 live again ,, Concerning Norbert, you,re probably referring to Norbert Brantner. His shop is BM Exclusive,, still in operation.
http://bmserviceexclusif.com/fr/ I bought my Chamonix from him. I beat you for the most dust on a 2oo2.003.jpg
Now !! Hercule Poirot is questioning himself !! Is your 2oo2 White ? Have a 5 Speeds? An interior Tan ? If you answer yes to those 3 ,, your car could be the Ex
from Mario ( mechanic at BM Xclusive or the Ex of Lee ( Massive Brake ) of course Lee always paid his billls . Ask Norbert is a busy man but very kind.

Ok !! I just saw the pics of Anthony on Flicker.. It's Ex - Lee. I recognise the front lip and also it's the only Qc 2oo2 with the Bavarian Rennsport decal. If I remember correct , Lee cross the US via route 66 to California to Bill Holmes Shop in San Diego and get the Decal, I have been to the o2fest East in Connecticut in that car. It was pristine at the time. The right story should be that Norbert had the car full resto at his Shop in the Plateau at the time , went unpaid for it and Lee ( a biker at the time and futur Dad ) bought it and finally sold it to buy the e30 H3 . Don't get rid of the decal I will replace your quarter window with mine if you want a blind one.
Lee can be reach via https://www.facebook.com/Massive-Brakes-178417442267056/

That's a crazy story. If this is Lee's old car I almost feel bad ripping it apart and putting an m42 in it.
I don't know him very well but i'm pretty sure he wouldn't approve...
What year was this?
I'll reach out to lee. It's funny that some 10 years ago, I was talking to him to buy his then race 2002. And I end up 10 years later buying his even older 2002.

EDIT: so I got some more info from Lee via email but couldn't update my original history post. How can I update my previous posts?
Anyways the correct history is as follows:

Someone brought the car into BM Exclusive back when the shop was on Plateau Mont Royal for a full restoration.
The owner of the vehicle was unable to pay for the work done and Norbert Brantner (BM Exclusive shop owner) sold the car to Lee (Massive Brakes) sometime in 1991.
Lee owned the car for several years and:
-Got the Bavarian Rensport Hand Cut Sticker when he met Bill Homes in San Diego in 1992
-He also installed the Zender spoiler and Allison electronic ignition soon after
-5 Speed transmission was fitted around 1993 by Armando Gonzales at BMW Exclusive
Lee eventually sold the car to Gerard (previous owner before me) sometime around 2002 in order to buy his e30 M3
Gerard drove the car a bit but mostly stored the car from 2002 to Christmas 2017 when my wife bought the car as a Christmas gift

And that’s as accurate a history that I will get for now!

Last edited:
Send me a private message with your adress , I have 2 pics of your car at o2 Fest East with the decal clearly visible I could send you. Be aware that I'm not a good photographer.

You have a 32-36 weber,, a 320i alternator and Eibach springs from that era.
I gooffed for the Tan interior, it was replace by the black Recaro's ,black door cards and the rear bench was recover with a patern
similar to the 320i.
Personaly I think that short of an S14 , the M42 is the next best swap specialy for daily use. ( Not as easy as it seem ).
Is the engine sized ??

Last edited:
PM sent,
Yes seats are black sorry I was referring to the carpets / headliner. But seats are in a bad shape and need to be re-done again.
The engine should be fine last time I saw it run 3 years ago, rough idle but no major issues.
I really wanna go the turbo route that's why I decided on m42.

Lucky YOU!!! to have a wife who understand our Passion for old german cars. Sorry to invade your tread but the recaro's have a story by themself. They were rebuilt with newer and higher bolster for the legs , they are not leather , not vinyl but Skidoo seat skin. If you want to keep them I still have the phone number of the guy who have done them. Just to '' titille'' you but M10 are good candidate for Turbo,,, email receive.

Night 1 and 2 came and went (2018-01-11)

Thursday night. Just the two of us.

I had provided Ernest a shopping list of what we needed in order to start the job, aside from a few tools which I’ll (or Kosta) lend him, like candle sticks, a creeper and a jack. Can you believe this mother f’er doesn’t own a JACK?!?! He bought a 46 year old car and doesn’t own a jack! I bought one of mine but Kosta is refusing to bring his, fight the power Kosta.

So, I arrived to Ernest cleaning the salt/dirt snow from his garage floor, he's always prepared.

Here are some “Before we start” shots of the 2002.

I showed up not really having any expectations for the first night, my unspoken objective was just to have the garage setup to start “real-work” the next day (Friday night). We ended up working about 2.5 hours. Including 15-20 minutes of cleaning up the garage after so he can put his A6 back in the garage.

There was a lot and a lot of junk in the car! Old parts, papers, cigarettes… Ernest was set to the task of cleaning the interior and trunk. At one point Ernest showed me a dirty rag he found in the trunk and asked if it was OEM. I’m still not sure if he was joking or serious.

90’s cig

Burnt fuse wrapped in aluminum foil

I focused on getting the engine bay ready for the engine removal, aside from when I’m called on by Ernest to answer questions or help him. I removed the hood and disconnected everything that wouldn’t make a mess on the garage floor. I also tagged the wires as I went along. Ardo plans on making a complete new wire harness for the car. Labelling stuff isn’t as important as it was the first time around , I know things.​

Friday Night. All hands on dick as Kosta joins the party, I mean deck.

We started by moving the boxes and tools away from the car, this will get old fast. I felt like my night wasn’t that productive but the other two were happy with our progress. We removed some big items, bumpers, trunk lid, front fenders (they’re rusty) and the door cards + other interior bits.

This thread is awesome for all the best reasons of the world.

I need to find myself one of those projects...

Nights 3 & 4

January 19th, 2018, the three unwise men continue disassembly.

Before we started, I estimated that it would take us 2 business days to fully strip the car (motor out and all), it remains an accurate statement even with all the dicking around we've done.

For the 3rd night, Ernest did not have any beer for his workers. After dropping many, many very unsubtle hints about our dissatisfaction and 1 hour 45 minutes later he sent his wife to procure some beverages of the alcoholic variety, praise Jesus.

We removed all the glass, windshield, windows, vent window, done. More trim inside the car, we took care when removing the headliner, so that we could use it as a template for a custom headliner.

To help with the disassembly on Night 3, I wore a moustache. Shit, I’m hot.

The last item we removed on night 3 was the dash. I noticed that the paint colour was different under the dash. This car was not originally Chamonix, whoever repainted it, did everything except under the dash. I had previously noticed that the floor insulation was body colour which I found funny but didn’t think much of it until I got the dash off.

February 2nd, 2018. Double 02s, how fitting.

Mike (my brother) came to Ernest’s, 100% to dick around, he didn’t even bring a set of old clothes.

Ernest said he would send the 02 to Ardo’s shop (AV Fabrication) and Ardo would remove the drivetrain and get the car on a table. So dropping the front sub-frame to remove the engine was no longer required. It’s actually not difficult but given the lack of space and tools, your confidence in getting the job done easily diminishes. Ernest is learning and buying stuff he never knew existed… like a “hammer,” who dat.

Ernest needs a belt.

We drained/removed the brake booster/master cylinder, radiator gas tank/lines. We also removed the wire harness, which we fully labelled so that Ardo could wire a new one.

If anyone needs some lates 90s fuel, bring a container.

Oh, and we found this relic under the trunk panels folded next to the fuel tank.

more to come.

This is very cool. A better camera would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wide lens is from the go pro.
The date stamped ones are from my old Canon camera (which I can't fine the block charger for).
Other are with cell phones.

I think the real issue is the lighting in Ernest's garage and the white wall in the back...also if you click on the image you can see the full res size in flicker.

If you think it had value to your car or nostalgia, I still have those cards Some new, other with patina. We use to put them under the wiper of other 2oo2.
20180215_150759_HDR.jpg

cards with patina :laugh: love it!
I was going to call the number on the card to see if it's still good.

Back