2018 Formula 1 Season Thread

It's too easy to put the blame on a single person (CW) when you don't know what's going on inside of Williams and what are the decisions they took. Yet they sure are the worst team in F1 right now... Where does it come from, shitty engineering? bad CFD models? bad management? Hard to tell i'd say. Williams is in a tough spot right now with regulations, they aren't a works team, but they are an engineering/racing company, so the easy way out of buying parts from Mercs means firing people, losing brains and on the long run losing your identity. The Haas model might work newcomers or other teams, but it's a different story for Williams. It's a balancing act between performance and how much do you value your independance.

But then again, looking back at the last 5 seasons with the Mercedes engine deal, they went from 3rd to last... They might better be off with selling a bit of their soul to stay alive and that might just be what they did since they'll use Mercedes gearbox and rear suspension next year, so they'll have more man power to work on other areas of the car. I believe that most of Williams' success came from their drivetrain superiority, rather then their own engineering... Fast in straight line, slow everywhere else... I think they need a good shake up in the areo department first.

I agree with what you said. I just have the feeling that Williams is more focused on keeping opex at check to keep the balance sheet afloat. In motorsports, you need to perform to attract sponsorship Sheckels. Performance comes with a price and you might have to suffer for a while to get it and then raking in the money. When a team start cutting spending that could positively affect performance to stay cash flow positive, it’s the spiral downward that begins. This is why I think CW isn’t fit for the job. I think she manages the team as an accountant rather then as a motosports business woman.

I agree with what you said. I just have the feeling that Williams is more focused on keeping opex at check to keep the balance sheet afloat. In motorsports, you need to perform to attract sponsorship Sheckels. Performance comes with a price and you might have to suffer for a while to get it and then raking in the money. When a team start cutting spending that could positively affect performance to stay cash flow positive, it’s the spiral downward that begins. This is why I think CW isn’t fit for the job. I think she manages the team as an accountant rather then as a motosports business woman.

When you start sending emails because an engineer is wearing shorts instead of pants during a hot race weekend it goes to show you where priorities are.... Williams demise has been in the works the last couple of seasons, they were up against teams with undeveloped cars, new teams and the lot. Now you have haas, renault, TR and FI starting to show their real pace and development... Where is Williams? Lost in translation the "garageist" mentality has hurt them

Just what the hell is going on... appenrently Stroll bought all the assets of Force India but not team itself which owns the entry to the F1 Championship. Since some teams were blocking the transfer of the Force India commercial rights to the the new outfit (read here money reward for the past seasons), the entry became worthless so Stroll might have to start fresh with a new team. Right now Liberty is still trying to resolve the issue with a compromise where FI will lose all constructor's points for the season and go back to 0, giving the opportunity for the blocking teams to jump them in the standings. This would also trigger a switch of drivers at Monza. Stroll to the new team, Kubica promoted at Williams, Ocon to McLaren and Stoffel on the bench.

Meanwile no more sign of the Force India name:

formula-1-belgian-gp-2018-forc-2.jpg

Just what the hell is going on... appenrently Stroll bought all the assets of Force India but not team itself which owns the entry to the F1 Championship. Since some teams were blocking the transfer of the Force India commercial rights to the the new outfit (read here money reward for the past seasons), the entry became worthless so Stroll might have to start fresh with a new team. Right now Liberty is still trying to resolve the issue with a compromise where FI will lose all constructor's points for the season and go back to 0, giving the opportunity for the blocking teams to jump them in the standings. This would also trigger a switch of drivers at Monza. Stroll to the new team, Kubica promoted at Williams, Ocon to McLaren and Stoffel on the bench.

Meanwile no more sign of the Force India name:

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/amp/27v3gkx0/s6/formula-1-belgian-gp-2018-forc-2.jpg

It's settled team will compete as a new entry "Racing Point " All 2018 points and prize money have been forfeited

Missed the start due to crappy stream...when it came back online, image and sound were not in sync...
otherwise great race for Bottas! overall it was a snoozefest

Beautiful track, very boring race. Once again, too bad for Kimi. Should have been a 1-2 Ferrari finish. Hopefully, they will put it off in Monza in front of their fans. Ferrari proved they have the best F1 car in 2018, just poor driving...

Pretty decent race... Start was awesome F1 and Liberty need Ferrari to win the WDC

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Back