2018 Formula 1 Season Thread

New rules. Higher fuel flow in 2019

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...unit-proposal-2019-rule-changes-revealed.html

also if this is semi true they will need to bring back refueling or the cars will be touching 1000kg. It will be a fuel cell. otherwise the racing becomes a fuel mileage game
RaceFans has learned further details of the proposal for F1’s 2021 engine regulations. These include an increased rev limit, which will rise from 15,000rpm to 18,000rpm. The fuel flow rate, currently limited to 100kg per hour, will also be removed in 2021.
These two changes are likely to lead to a significant increase in the race start weight of F1 cars. They could have to carry as much as 50kg more fuel meaning they will start races weighing over 960kg unless in-race refuelling, which has been banned since 2010, is permitted again.

IMO the biggest issue is the stupid limit on power units and power unit elements. You want higher revs and power but limit the parts needed. There should be a development freeze for 19 and 20

The race was ok, to call it an "amazing" race is a bit of a stretch, it was definitely enjoyable and entertaining. If you want to see "amazing" races, tune into Australian V8 supercars, those races are nuts.

New rules. Higher fuel flow in 2019

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...unit-proposal-2019-rule-changes-revealed.html

also if this is semi true they will need to bring back refueling or the cars will be touching 1000kg. It will be a fuel cell. otherwise the racing becomes a fuel mileage game

IMO the biggest issue is the stupid limit on power units and power unit elements. You want higher revs and power but limit the parts needed. There should be a development freeze for 19 and 20

Yup and higher revs would lead to less realiable motors.... It's the limit of motor and gearbox changes that's stupid. Engineering goal of a racecar is to make it thru the race and not much more....

Rumor from Auto Motor und Sport is that Ferrari and Mercedes have caved and agreed to the 2021 plans which include ditching on the MGU-H

Any clues why? not enough power/weight ratio from the heat recovery unit? realibility ?

It's by far the most expensive PU element to develop and manufacture. No kidding Ferrari didn't oppose this... their blow-off valve blown rear wing is going to be a lot more potent without the MGU-H.
It's hardto find information on how much energy F1 power units actually harvest from the MGU-H (renault and honda were bitching about stupid costs), I think that there is a limit on K harvesting, while H harvesting is unlimited is the only thing that makes it useful besides anti-lag in reverse. Increasing the limits on K harvesting, and using an electrically assisted turbo or twin charging with an electric compressor would accomplish the same thing with less complexity. With the new fuel regs I don't think there will be a difference in speed It would also be more relevant to road car technology... Since Mercedes decided to go with BorgWarner ebooster in their cars vs an MGU-H system..

So either Ferrari and Mercedes know something the others don't... I bet Mercedes already has 1000 engineers working on 2021. Or FOM/FIA were told by a few new manufactures (Porsche, AM, Ford etc) to did MGU-H and they will enter.

Master Vettel and Ferrari on Pole for a 3rd in a row. Would have been a Red front row lock out if RAI didnt lose it in the last corner. Mercedes and Hamilton yet to start from 1st in 2018....

31444695_10214748656417429_734628948817739776_n.jpg

Last edited:
Vettel had the win in hand, everything played the opposite for him. And to make it worst, go for it overshoot the turn , flat spot and next thing you know bottas gets a puncture......im sure he was mad has hell. If he waited he would have won. Hamilton won , takes championships lead ........ guess its his lucky year, his car sucks, bottas always outdrive him and he get points and lead.

As for crashappen, its ridiculous, he always move under braking, he thinks he own everything. If it wasent from RIC giving him space/backing up they would have been gone way earlier. I hope MAx get some king of reprimand, im sure hell need a new gearbox for next race but still.

If i was RIC I would tell them to fuck off and leave RBR....wanna put everything around the kid, then try to win a championship with him

I'm not Nostradamus... it was easy. Grosjean's crash be behind safety car... that's a FAIL. He was in good position, he must be ashamed and pissed off at himself.
I think he feels his career is coming to an end in F1. On another the race should have been red flagged.

Vettel
Vettel had the win in hand, everything played the opposite for him. And to make it worst, go for it overshoot the turn , flat spot and next thing you know bottas gets a puncture......im sure he was mad has hell. If he waited he would have won. Hamilton won , takes championships lead ........ guess its his lucky year, his car sucks, bottas always outdrive him and he get points and lead.

As for crashappen, its ridiculous, he always move under braking, he thinks he own everything. If it wasent from RIC giving him space/backing up they would have been gone way earlier. I hope MAx get some king of reprimand, im sure hell need a new gearbox for next race but still.

If i was RIC I would tell them to fuck off and leave RBR....wanna put everything around the kid, then try to win a championship with him
Vettel had a podium in hand. Win was questionable at that point.

And just like that Lewis is leading the championship. Should have been an easy win for Vettel, turned into a mess. Glad to see Kimi in 2nd, had he not blown it in quali he would have won this race.

As for RBR, karma bites Horner in the ass. Clearly Verstappen has lost it, he can't focus. How long will RBR keep on defending him. Ricciardo is far superior to Verstappen in all aspects of racing.

Back