As if Montreal had a real chance...

allroad

There was no chance Amazon was going to select Montreal for their 2nd HQ. The media, Coderre, Plante and politicians were hopeful *blah**blah**blah*. Was worth the try.

Yes, Montreal is making a comeback, yes the Tech industry is very solid and performing well, there was no way Amazon was going to select Montreal. I am still surprised to see TO in the finalists...

http://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/eco...damazon-montreal-nest-plus-dans-la-course.php

The media surrounding this event is staggering, can't wait to see the tax breaks and benefits Amazon will get from the selected City and State in the end.

The media surrounding this event is staggering, can't wait to see the tax breaks and benefits Amazon will get from the selected City and State in the end.

The fallout from Amazon coming to your town/province/State are going to be huge, jobs to build the place, taxes, then maintain/staff it, the jobs at Canada Post/Purolator that it will generate in that area, etc... Huge.

I don't want to see TO getting it honestly....

I tought VAN, Calgary or EDM was in the ''race''.

Sad that Maritimes is having a lack of manpower, because it will help to boost their economy (NB, NWF etc)

domage. J'aurai bien aimé envoyé mon CV. (juste pas l'entrepôt)

Mais bon c'est clair qu'on avait pas grand chance. Un de nos avantage étais le port de montréal mais a part sa...

domage. J'aurai bien aimé envoyé mon CV. (juste pas l'entrepôt)

Mais bon c'est clair qu'on avait pas grand chance. Un de nos avantage étais le port de montréal mais a part sa...

Deux aéroports dont un spécialement pour le cargo (Mirapabelle)
Centre de distribution majeure du CN et CP
Mains d'oeuvre ultra qualifié
Multilinguisme des locaux (Toujours important dans le milieu de la distribution)
C'est une métropole en vue
De grandes universités avec deux écoles reconnues pour la gestion
Valeurs humaines de MTL à l'international
Port de MTL
D'importants secteurs industrielles.

Ça va probablement finir avec la ville qui va le plus baisser ses culottes.

Deux aéroports dont un spécialement pour le cargo (Mirapabelle)
Centre de distribution majeure du CN et CP
Mains d'oeuvre ultra qualifié
Multilinguisme des locaux (Toujours important dans le milieu de la distribution)
C'est une métropole en vue
De grandes universités avec deux écoles reconnues pour la gestion
Valeurs humaines de MTL à l'international
Port de MTL
D'importants secteurs industrielles.

Ça va probablement finir avec la ville qui va le plus baisser ses culottes.

Good positives but there are also negatives:

Bill 101
Lower Corporate Taxes in the US
Much more mobile & versatile workforce in the US
As many Universities as we have, we don't produce enough engineers, software developers here. Talk to anyone in tech in Montreal, all will complain they can't find manpower.
The backlash in the US should Amazon not pick a US City.

And yes, the heavy tax breaks and subsidize provided.

En toute honnêtement, quand une entreprise prévois investir des milliards de $ dans une ville, ce n'est pas la loi 101 qui l'empêchera. Tu le sais comme quoi que ce n'est plus comme dans les années 70/80 où c'était compliqué d'obtenir une traduction adéquate. Les logiciels et sous-traitant font tous ça... Aussi, l'entreprise est existe au Canada et en France et ce en français.

Je vais rajouter que si jamais l'appel d'offre était signé, tu peux être certain qu'ils n'auraient pas les inspecteurs de la loi 101 sur le dos à partir du jour 1.... Le gouvernement leur offrirait tout l'assistance nécessaire pour ce franciser dans un délai raisonnable.

La ville ne produit pas assez d'ingénieur, mais nous avons 3 universités qui peuvent produire le nécessaire sur un délai raisonnable.

Kinda funny that once you get big enough, you get cities to do your work to see if it's feasible to go establish yourself there and not you having to do a lot of reaching out.

Why is everyone talking about Amazon's HQ2 as if it was a warehouse? We're talking senior management level, tech, software development jobs, a true corporate head quarter.

If Amazon wants to open just a fulfillment center they don't need cities to compete like this, they don't need convenient access to a major airport, good public transit etc (all things that were part of the requirements)

So in a purely corporate context yes things like Bill 101 plays a factor, execs and employees splitting their time between Seatle and HQ2 don't need that extra bullshit to deal with and Amazon doesn't operate in an industry that's under federal jurisdiction that would shield it from bill 101 like Bombardier does.

Yes mtl has 4 universities, but how many of those grads from Concordia and McGill stay if they are from out town? A minuscule amount, I know plenty of CS grads from both that got reruited to move west to silicon valley/seattle/Vancouver. How many grads from UdeM and UQAM have functional english that they could really integrate quickly into the large Amazon machine. We're not talking about some small satelite office in a foreign country that only worries about their region. HQ2 is meant to be work seamlessly with the Seatle base.

Montreal's labour pool isn't deep enough to absorb a company the size of amazon. We're talking about thousands (if not tens of thousands) of new 6 figure jobs (or near), that creates a huge vacuum among local employers, everyone's going to say fuck this place I'm going to amazon for double the pay. All of a sudden the local labour market gets seriously warped like it is in Seattle. Start ups and qc companies can't afford the real market prices for the talent, because let's face it that's always been one of Quebec's competitive advantages a cheap educated labour force. Canada is already a discount to the US and QC is a discount to the rest of Canada.

Amazon isn't going to wait for your local schools to pump out fresh grads, it recruits globally already and will bring its people with it and how many of them do you think speak french?

Alors,

Il n'y a pas beaucoup de ville qui veut engager 50000 personnes d'un coup dans affecté négativement les autres industries dans le secteur.

LA ou Los Angeles...

Man just the traffic+construction+pothole and sh*tty weather in the winter would dry any major company away haha.

En toute honnêtement, quand une entreprise prévois investir des milliards de $ dans une ville, ce n'est pas la loi 101 qui l'empêchera. Tu le sais comme quoi que ce n'est plus comme dans les années 70/80 où c'était compliqué d'obtenir une traduction adéquate. Les logiciels et sous-traitant font tous ça... Aussi, l'entreprise est existe au Canada et en France et ce en français.

Je vais rajouter que si jamais l'appel d'offre était signé, tu peux être certain qu'ils n'auraient pas les inspecteurs de la loi 101 sur le dos à partir du jour 1.... Le gouvernement leur offrirait tout l'assistance nécessaire pour ce franciser dans un délai raisonnable.

La ville ne produit pas assez d'ingénieur, mais nous avons 3 universités qui peuvent produire le nécessaire sur un délai raisonnable.

Not so sure, I think there are many large Corporations in Montreal that are under continuous scrutiny from L'OLF.

I would be curious to know what the role of this 2nd HQ will be? Which Amazon Group?

Alors,

Il n'y a pas beaucoup de ville qui veut engager 50000 personnes d'un coup dans affecté négativement les autres industries dans le secteur.

LA ou Los Angeles...

It'll be 50k over a number of years, but yes very few cities/regions could cope with that.

That's why Amazon already has it's top 3-5 cities internally and is just shopping the best deal it can get and force them into a bidding war.

I don't even think Toronto has a serious shot.

Boston is expensive but a very good bet as it's easy coast.

Otherwise somewhere like Austin in Texas (much cheaper)

Denver is good but IMO way too small for 50k employees... And too close to Seattle.

Let's start bets!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not so sure, I think there are many large Corporations in Montreal that are under continuous scrutiny from L'OLF.

I would be curious to know what the role of this 2nd HQ will be? Which Amazon Group?

lol we had an audit not too long ago, they were even looking why we weren't using the french version of windows 7.

suck my dick.

Si Toronto devait être choisi, ça ne fera pas descendre le prix des maisons, c'est certain. Quoique, ça serait drôle de voir encore les prix des maisons grimper dans le GTA.

Boston is expensive but a very good bet as it's easy coast.

Otherwise somewhere like Austin in Texas (much cheaper)

Denver is good but IMO way too small for 50k employees... And too close to Seattle.

Let's start bets!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Austin is also in my top 3, lot's of tech and great cosmopolitan city. Denver as well, lot's of tech and Boulder (CO) is always voted as a great city to live in (only 35min from Denver). I would venture to say Pittsburgh also. Lot's of great selections in the top 20, TO will not make it.

Back