BMW 328d ?

g-ng

I'm shopping for a 2017+ BMW 328d M Sport wagon. I see a few of them I really like. Just wanted to ask MR if there are any major flaws with these B47 2.0 turbo diesels?

Thanks!

2014-bmw-328d-xdrive-m-sport-wagon-photo-640115-s-1280x782.jpg

Je connais 2 master tech chez BMW et les diesel demandent beaucoup plus d'entretien que les moteurs à essence. L'urée est l'une des principales sources de problème.

Un petit tread revival….

So i saw elsewhere that you did get a bmw 328d sportwagon. So what are your thoughts after 3-4 years of ownership?? (Assuming you still have it) Im asking as i may upgrade my 2007 bmw 328 wagon for something newer in the spring.

Im not sure between the 2018 330i or 328d. Im leaning towards the diesel but i cant make up my mind. Have the diesel proven to be way more expensive in maintenance? The thing is also I dont really need diesel as i will do “normal” kms in a year but where the gas prices are now a days it seems a bit more sensible to go that route rather than premium fuel. As far as your concerned are they much slower and less fun to drive?

Un petit tread revival….

So i saw elsewhere that you did get a bmw 328d sportwagon. So what are your thoughts after 3-4 years of ownership?? (Assuming you still have it) Im asking as i may upgrade my 2007 bmw 328 wagon for something newer in the spring.

Im not sure between the 2018 330i or 328d. Im leaning towards the diesel but i cant make up my mind. Have the diesel proven to be way more expensive in maintenance? The thing is also I dont really need diesel as i will do “normal” kms in a year but where the gas prices are now a days it seems a bit more sensible to go that route rather than premium fuel. As far as your concerned are they much slower and less fun to drive?

correct, I did end up getting a 328d M-Sport. I did 120k km before selling earlier this year. I paid for all the car, I used all the car had to offer.

Which one to get?
- 2018+ is a must. For 2018 model year, BMW fixed the weak transfer case and changed the high pressure fuel pump( they still had it recalled), added Apple CarPlay.
- M Sport is a must. Gives the M steering, Sports seats, M sport bumpers, and side skirts. The M sport front bumper has some ducting for brake cooling.

330i vs 328d?
- 181hp isn't going to be thrilling at all. It sounds like a tractor at idle but on the highway, it's got a bit of a diesel rumble to it. It's peppy around town, torque is everywhere so passing people on the highway will not be a problem.
- The B48 330i is a lot faster and less agricultural that's for sure. I test drove a 330i for a few days, it's a lot more premium experience, smoother start-stop, gas engine noises, less vibrations.
-Fuel economy, I consistently calculated 5.8L/100km highway in the summer, and 6.1L/100km highway in the winter. City varies depending but I wasn't careful, average 8.5L/100km. No way the B48 330i can do that.
- I took it to iCar on Tuesday's in summer 2020 for about 8-10 sessions. Only lowered the car on H&R springs, 18x9 Apex EC-7 Pirelli all-season deflated to 28psi. It's not quick but it's still < 2:00 lap times lol. I can't comment if the 330i will be more fun to drive but it felt like a lot of fun. Typical BMW, drive it in MDM mode and it allows more slip, the TC doesn't fight you at all.
- I had a 420d rental in Germany and you can put the cruise control at 200km/h without much drama, it will feel like a walk in the park.

Ownership issues?
- In the 1st year, I was chasing a lot of squeaks and rattles through the cabin. It took about 6 visits to the dealer to finally get rid of all of them. If you do end up with the M sport, the black painted window trims rubs and squeaks on the rubber seals. There's a recall to apply a teflon tape and you'll have to lubricate the rubber seals once a year. Use Honda OE rubber lube for best results.

- In the first 80k km, I had no issues but I am not a gambling man. I bought VSC Platinum for up to 200k km (transferrable to a private individual for 50$ fee)
- at 91k km, 1 front parking sensor failed, 1000$ covered under VSC
- at 105k km, pre-cat O2 sensor failed, I was on limp mode occasionally, 850$ covered under VSC
- at 113k km, rear diff seals started leaking, 800$ covered under VSC
- also at 113k km, front headlight levelling sensor broke, 200$ covered under VSC

Maintenance schedule?

It was relatively cheap in maintenance. I bought most of the parts off of FCPEuro.
- rear discs and pads were done at 75k km, OE Brembo discs and Akebono pads were 250$ total
- front discs and pads replaced at 111k km but that's because of the track? Black Friday special for 250$
- diesel fuel filter, Mahle is the OE supplier, 25$
- oil change every 20k km as per the schedule
- carbon cabin air filter once a year, made the mistake of buying at the dealer, 60$? it was way more than I should've paid.

Diesel peculiars?

- takes a long time to warm up in the winter. At -20C and below, the coolant temp will never reach the middle.
- During the weeks I did not do long 1000km roadtrips, it doesn't like short trips. The DPF needs to warm up to burn the soot off. You will hear it when it hits the regen cycle, it will sound extra tractor for 2-3 mins.

Mods?

- I had the H&R Sport springs on stock shocks. Not a great combo, you'll need to get the RWD shorter bump stock so it doesn't bottom out, which it will, a lot,in Montreal.
- coilover spring rate is specific to Gran Coupe and Touring
- camber is not adjustable in the front, only in the back.

Hope that sums up my ownership with the 328d.

dirty edit:
forgot 1 thing: all ZF 8HP are designed to 160k km life. Meaning, when your user manual says the trans oil and filter is good for the life of the vehicle, it's good up to 160k km of normal use. I did not use the car normally per se.
I replaced the trans oil and the trans oil filter is in the plastic pan. Again, FCPEuro to the rescue for selling the kit.

Attachments

• 48016503367_c00f1dea4b_o.jpg
    48016503367_c00f1dea4b_o.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 531EF517-F57D-4664-92D4-B490894EDAFD.jpg
    531EF517-F57D-4664-92D4-B490894EDAFD.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Un petit tread revival….

We are starting to see lots of intake manifold failures but more concerning are the fuel system issues that leak fuel into the wiring harness and ends up in the DME… there was a revision on the fuel pump as well like 4 of them because of metal shavings… I wouldn’t bother with a diesel unless are doing a shit ton of mileage per year. If it’s short trips or mixed duty don’t bother the dpf/scr will shit the bed as nothing will get warmed up or regen properly. Then it’s endless Nox sensor faults etc. You are better off with gas. B48 is a great engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

correct, I did end up getting a 328d M-Sport. I did 120k km before selling earlier this year. I paid for all the car, I used all the car had to offer.

Which one to get?
- 2018+ is a must. For 2018 model year, BMW fixed the weak transfer case and changed the high pressure fuel pump( they still had it recalled), added Apple CarPlay.
- M Sport is a must. Gives the M steering, Sports seats, M sport bumpers, and side skirts. The M sport front bumper has some ducting for brake cooling.

330i vs 328d?
- 181hp isn't going to be thrilling at all. It sounds like a tractor at idle but on the highway, it's got a bit of a diesel rumble to it. It's peppy around town, torque is everywhere so passing people on the highway will not be a problem.
- The B48 330i is a lot faster and less agricultural that's for sure. I test drove a 330i for a few days, it's a lot more premium experience, smoother start-stop, gas engine noises, less vibrations.
-Fuel economy, I consistently calculated 5.8L/100km highway in the summer, and 6.1L/100km highway in the winter. City varies depending but I wasn't careful, average 8.5L/100km. No way the B48 330i can do that.
- I took it to iCar on Tuesday's in summer 2020 for about 8-10 sessions. Only lowered the car on H&R springs, 18x9 Apex EC-7 Pirelli all-season deflated to 28psi. It's not quick but it's still < 2:00 lap times lol. I can't comment if the 330i will be more fun to drive but it felt like a lot of fun. Typical BMW, drive it in MDM mode and it allows more slip, the TC doesn't fight you at all.
- I had a 420d rental in Germany and you can put the cruise control at 200km/h without much drama, it will feel like a walk in the park.

Ownership issues?
- In the 1st year, I was chasing a lot of squeaks and rattles through the cabin. It took about 6 visits to the dealer to finally get rid of all of them. If you do end up with the M sport, the black painted window trims rubs and squeaks on the rubber seals. There's a recall to apply a teflon tape and you'll have to lubricate the rubber seals once a year. Use Honda OE rubber lube for best results.

- In the first 80k km, I had no issues but I am not a gambling man. I bought VSC Platinum for up to 200k km (transferrable to a private individual for 50$ fee)
- at 91k km, 1 front parking sensor failed, 1000$ covered under VSC
- at 105k km, pre-cat O2 sensor failed, I was on limp mode occasionally, 850$ covered under VSC
- at 113k km, rear diff seals started leaking, 800$ covered under VSC
- also at 113k km, front headlight levelling sensor broke, 200$ covered under VSC

Maintenance schedule?

It was relatively cheap in maintenance. I bought most of the parts off of FCPEuro.
- rear discs and pads were done at 75k km, OE Brembo discs and Akebono pads were 250$ total
- front discs and pads replaced at 111k km but that's because of the track? Black Friday special for 250$
- diesel fuel filter, Mahle is the OE supplier, 25$
- oil change every 20k km as per the schedule
- carbon cabin air filter once a year, made the mistake of buying at the dealer, 60$? it was way more than I should've paid.

Diesel peculiars?

- takes a long time to warm up in the winter. At -20C and below, the coolant temp will never reach the middle.
- During the weeks I did not do long 1000km roadtrips, it doesn't like short trips. The DPF needs to warm up to burn the soot off. You will hear it when it hits the regen cycle, it will sound extra tractor for 2-3 mins.

Mods?

- I had the H&R Sport springs on stock shocks. Not a great combo, you'll need to get the RWD shorter bump stock so it doesn't bottom out, which it will, a lot,in Montreal.
- coilover spring rate is specific to Gran Coupe and Touring
- camber is not adjustable in the front, only in the back.

Hope that sums up my ownership with the 328d.
Holy shit nice reply.

This is why I like MR.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Moi j'ai eu un 2013 acheté neuf, je l'ai gardé 3 ans environ. Pas un station mais berline. Je n'ai pas eu de trouble avec ce moteur, ça partait bien l'hiver et chauffait rapidement, très économique et performance correcte. Le seul hic est que ça sonnait très agricole, diesel je sais, mais j'avais une attente que ça soit un peu plus raffiné. ça claque pas mal et c'est audible dans l'habitacle. Pas beaucoup de HP mais le torque était bon. ça se chup aussi, Burger tuning offre un JB pour ce moteur.

Pour avoir regardé un peu la fiabilité avant d'acheter, de ce que je me souviens ce moteur là a eu des troubles graves de guide au niveau de la timing chain, il n'y avait pas de risque au niveau de la tête de moteur si la chaine débarquait mais apparemment que pour réparer tu devais sortir le moteur au complet et c'était une mega job. Néanmoins il y avait eu une révision importante de ce problème avant 2013, je ne me souviens plus de l'année exacte de cette révision mais ce trouble es probablement réglé. C'est sur qu'être acheteur aujourd'hui, je validerais que la révision de cette lacune a fonctionnée.

En Europe il s'en est vendu beaucoup (320D la bas) sur les forums européens il doit y avoir plus d'info.

Thanks guys! g-ng great write up!

I feel this thread is making me realize that a diesel will end up being problematic the way i intend on using it.

Looks like il be shopping for a 2018 330 wagon with M Package. Ive seen one go by recently with M brakes. Was that also an option?

Really lots of problems with the diesel from the posts above.
The slight saving in consumption is not worth all the trouble.
Sticl to a gas engine 6mt and call it a day

Really lots of problems with the diesel from the posts above.
The slight saving in consumption is not worth all the trouble.
Sticl to a gas engine 6mt and call it a day

Diesel never made sense in North America. Fuel is cheap and people are too scurred to step on it. So what you end up with is a mom driving her kids to school 15 km a day so the dpf doesn’t regen and then accidentally putting gas in.

That being said Mercedes does diesel way better than BMW. Always have and always will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! g-ng great write up!

I feel this thread is making me realize that a diesel will end up being problematic the way i intend on using it.

Looks like il be shopping for a 2018 330 wagon with M Package. Ive seen one go by recently with M brakes. Was that also an option?

thanks! cuz you asked over PM lmao
only 1 failure related to the diesel but I agree that if you don't do long trips, you'll be asking for trouble.
yep, there's M Sport I and M Sport II with the larger brakes.

thanks! cuz you asked over PM lmao
only 1 failure related to the diesel but I agree that if you don't do long trips, you'll be asking for trouble.
yep, there's M Sport I and M Sport II with the larger brakes.
Hhah I did and it did get others involved! Thanks again.

Back