Elon Musk: How Abundance will Change the World

lord_galathon

This is interesting and he makes good points, however I noted that he expects solar cell roofs on all homes to be standard in the next 15 years and cars to be self driving within about the same period of time. Even claims no car ownership by 2025 which is plausible.

However, we've all had snow on our roofs since December, also autonomous cars can't avoid potholes for now. A lot of development will have to be done.

Thoughts?

However, we've all had snow on our roofs since December, also autonomous cars can't avoid potholes for now. A lot of development will have to be done.

Thoughts?

Whenever I read tech news like that, I always remind myself how life must be awesome in southern US with no snow, lots of sun, etc...

90% of the tech will not work here is will work with limited efficiency.

Roof solar panels however I can see it picking up here. Don't forget that snow stick to our roofs here a lot due to the material they are made of. If they would be slick/slippery/non-stick, they would be clear for the most part. My roof will be due in 5-7 years and I'll investigate the solar power thing properly before going ahead or not.

As for car, self driving and what not... One can only dream of pressing a button in the morning, hopping into a warm electric car, be driven to work while we argue about the Habs in the Canadiens 2022 topic and sipping on my coffee. Car drops me off at work and goes to park itself in a car park outside of town where it stays, could be washed, charged if I pay for it until I call it at the end of day to drive me back home.

But that wont happen up here due to weather and shitty roads.

comme toutes les autres affirmations, ca va etre ultra en retard.

2025 no more car ownership ahahahah
15 ans fully self sdriving cars, peut etre sur des portions de route pré scannées, avec satellite en permanence au dessus, etc. Sa tesla a embouti un fucking camion de pomper a pleine allure sur l'autoroute, on est loin des self driving cars... y'a meme pas de neige pis sont pas encore safe.

The confluence of trends, what I'm worried about and would like to see is equality for men in some employment aspects.

All these technological innovations are affecting industries who disproportionately employ men. Whether it be manufacturing, trucking, taxi driving, warehousing etc.
While on the other hand there is a chronic labour shortage in areas that disproportionately employ women. Nursing/Teaching/Long-term care assistants with no sign of technological disruption on the horizon. So rather than trying to recruit nurses in France to come work here, how about we work towards getting rid of the idea/stigma that healthcare/teaching are areas for women and put encourage more men to join, just as we encourage women to get into tech and engineering.

The last thing you want is an underclass of unemployed men.

^^
That would be a good question for all the peddler of "masculinity" and the concepts of "traditionnal roles" that is even also is expressed as "natural role". As long as we have a large segment of the population driven by these retarded concept (very often pushed by an underlying religious culture) or obnubilate by the idea of how amazing the past and status quo are, techs are going to be very disruptive to the fabric of society.

Qui mange ma marde. Bien chaude. Après avoir mangé des fajitas ultra sauces forte rempli de binnes.

Ca m'intéresse zéro leurs osti de chars automatisé.

Sometimes on MR, you have posts like this one:

Whenever I read tech news like that, I always remind myself how life must be awesome in southern US with no snow, lots of sun, etc...

Roof solar panels however I can see it picking up here. Don't forget that snow stick to our roofs here a lot due to the material they are made of. If they would be slick/slippery/non-stick, they would be clear for the most part. My roof will be due in 5-7 years and I'll investigate the solar power thing properly before going ahead or not.

As for car, self driving and what not... One can only dream of pressing a button in the morning, hopping into a warm electric car, be driven to work while we argue about the Habs in the Canadiens 2022 topic and sipping on my coffee. Car drops me off at work and goes to park itself in a car park outside of town where it stays, could be washed, charged if I pay for it until I call it at the end of day to drive me back home.

Or like this one:

The confluence of trends, what I'm worried about and would like to see is equality for men in some employment aspects.

All these technological innovations are affecting industries who disproportionately employ men. Whether it be manufacturing, trucking, taxi driving, warehousing etc.
While on the other hand there is a chronic labour shortage in areas that disproportionately employ women. Nursing/Teaching/Long-term care assistants with no sign of technological disruption on the horizon. So rather than trying to recruit nurses in France to come work here, how about we work towards getting rid of the idea/stigma that healthcare/teaching are areas for women and put encourage more men to join, just as we encourage women to get into tech and engineering.

Even this one:

^^
That would be a good question for all the peddler of "masculinity" and the concepts of "traditionnal roles" that is even also is expressed as "natural role". As long as we have a large segment of the population driven by these retarded concept (very often pushed by an underlying religious culture) or obnubilate by the idea of how amazing the past and status quo are, techs are going to be very disruptive to the fabric of society.

But then you also have this:

Qui mange ma marde. Bien chaude. Après avoir mangé des fajitas ultra sauces forte rempli de binnes.

Ca m'intéresse zéro leurs osti de chars automatisé.

Sometimes on MR, you have posts like this one:

Or like this one:

Even this one:

But then you also have this:

escalation.jpg

les toit solaire au quebec seront pas rentable..tant que HQ montera pas leur prix.
Au US et meme en ontario l'électricité coute la peau des fesse, et meme a ces pris élevé ca prend 10+ans a rentabilisé un systeme solaire.
avec les faible prix d'ici, tu va devoir avoir remplacer 50% des piece avant que ce soit rentable.

Appart pour ene supposé penser verte/environnemental....ca arrivera pas sous peu ici.

les toit solaire au quebec seront pas rentable..tant que HQ montera pas leur prix.
Au US et meme en ontario l'électricité coute la peau des fesse, et meme a ces pris élevé ca prend 10+ans a rentabilisé un systeme solaire.
avec les faible prix d'ici, tu va devoir avoir remplacer 50% des piece avant que ce soit rentable.

Appart pour ene supposé penser verte/environnemental....ca arrivera pas sous peu ici.

Au tarrif actuel, entierement d'accord.

Il y a une chose par contre sur laquelle je suis d'accord.

En 2018 c'est pas grand machines domestiques qui ont absolument besoin du AC, tout peut fonctionner direct sur du DC local avec des batteries (ou presque.)

Serieux, a l'exception de la secheuse, poele, toaster et fourneau le reste fonctionne avec des tranfos et redresseurs de courant qui prennent ton 120VDC et te sortent 5~48VAC selon le cas.

Donc l'electricite qu'on produit que ce soit chez HQ ou autre est peu efficace.

Faux.

Pour ce qui est du transport, c'est mieux en AC. J'me rappel clairement ca d'un de mes course d'electronique/electricité de puissance au CEGEP. Me rappel crissement pus pourquoi par contre.

Je sais que produire et regulariser du AC a grand echelle est plus facile aussi(hydro electricité).

Sinon imagine la grosseur du regulateur que ca prendrais a la Baie James ;)

Il y a une chose par contre sur laquelle je suis d'accord.

En 2018 c'est pas grand machines domestiques qui ont absolument besoin du AC, tout peut fonctionner direct sur du DC local avec des batteries (ou presque.)

Serieux, a l'exception de la secheuse, poele, toaster et fourneau le reste fonctionne avec des tranfos et redresseurs de courant qui prennent ton 120VDC et te sortent 5~48VAC selon le cas.

c'est plutot l'inverse :prennent ton 120VAC et te sortent 5~48VDC

AC ou DC, je sais pas ce qui est plus efficace a transporté, mais ET comme Red96Ek a dit: tout les systeme commun de génération d'électricité produise de l'AC. Le transformé en DC avant de le transporter sera ridicule pour un producteur. car beaucoup de machine énergivore fonctionne en AC anyways.
tu a raison pour les petit appareil avec des redresseur...mais tout ce qui fonctionne avec un moteur(majorité) ou élement chauffant fonctionne en AC.

right now it doesn't work anywhere. there have been tests in sunny areas and they are huge flops. this is him imagining a future. maybe they'll be able to fix it, but there are 3 inherent issues: new energies do not produce nearly not enough amps to power a heater or AC, short lifespan of batteries, and long half life of elements that cannot be recycled and will stick around for 1,000 years.

Truck drivers working as teachers or nurses? not happening. they are physically incapable of doing that job. I know that some of you will want to decapitate me for it, but that's life. as long as this species will exist, some beings will be physically incapable of doing certain jobs.

the one thing you are referring to is the stigma against the ones that can. I know a kindergarden teacher (male) that cannot take a kid to the bathroom or else all hell might break loose as everyone thinks he's molesting the child. god forbid that child is a girl, he might get lynched before he gets to his car. that should not happen.

having a whole bunch of people that are fit to drive a truck or taxi but not do much else not have a job is going to cause huge issues in society. I don't have to spell it out.

Faux.

Pour ce qui est du transport, c'est mieux en AC. J'me rappel clairement ca d'un de mes course d'electronique/electricité de puissance au CEGEP. Me rappel crissement pus pourquoi par contre.

Je sais que produire et regulariser du AC a grand echelle est plus facile aussi(hydro electricité).

Sinon imagine la grosseur du regulateur que ca prendrais a la Baie James ;)

c'est plutot l'inverse :prennent ton 120VAC et te sortent 5~48VDC

AC ou DC, je sais pas ce qui est plus efficace a transporté, mais ET comme Red96Ek a dit: tout les systeme commun de génération d'électricité produise de l'AC. Le transformé en DC avant de le transporter sera ridicule pour un producteur. car beaucoup de machine énergivore fonctionne en AC anyways.
tu a raison pour les petit appareil avec des redresseur...mais tout ce qui fonctionne avec un moteur(majorité) ou élement chauffant fonctionne en AC.

Exactement mon point - au lieu d'envoyer l'electricite par des lignes electriques filees on pourrait les stocker sur place dans des batteries comme la Tesla Wall car comme je disais - pas mal tout roule avec du DC.

Je vois pas comment ca pourrait ne pas être rentable, du moins la dernière fois que j'ai entendu Musk en parler, la toiture aller couter le même prix qu'une toiture conventionnelle...

Si tu peux payer le même prix mais qu'en plus tu peux emmagasiner de l'energie, tu peux juste gagner :dunno:

Exactement mon point - au lieu d'envoyer l'electricite par des lignes electriques filees on pourrait les stocker sur place dans des batteries comme la Tesla Wall car comme je disais - pas mal tout roule avec du DC.

Pis comment d'energie ca vas prendre pour emporter tes grosse Duracell de la baie james a chez vous?

right now it doesn't work anywhere. there have been tests in sunny areas and they are huge flops. this is him imagining a future. maybe they'll be able to fix it, but there are 3 inherent issues: new energies do not produce nearly not enough amps to power a heater or AC, short lifespan of batteries, and long half life of elements that cannot be recycled and will stick around for 1,000 years.

Truck drivers working as teachers or nurses? not happening. they are physically incapable of doing that job. I know that some of you will want to decapitate me for it, but that's life. as long as this species will exist, some beings will be physically incapable of doing certain jobs.

the one thing you are referring to is the stigma against the ones that can. I know a kindergarden teacher (male) that cannot take a kid to the bathroom or else all hell might break loose as everyone thinks he's molesting the child. god forbid that child is a girl, he might get lynched before he gets to his car. that should not happen.

having a whole bunch of people that are fit to drive a truck or taxi but not do much else not have a job is going to cause huge issues in society. I don't have to spell it out.

So much bullshit...

C'est bien beau en théorie mais ça ignore le lobbyisme. Dès que leurs revenus vont se mettre à diminuer, les grands producteurs d'électricité vont aller brailler au gouvernement et se plaindre de concurrence déloyale. Ou bien le gouvernement va taxer les panneaux solaires au pied carré sous prétexte que les rayons solaires ne vous appartiennent pas.

Back