Building Science - Building a super efficient home

found this today/trouvé ce matin -

phase change blanket type insulation - isolation de type change de phase - pas de méchanique/no moving parts

https://phasechange.com/technology/faqs/

https://phasechange.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Carmel-Passive-House.pdf

C'est pareil fucké ça... première fois que j'entend parler de ça. C'est un peu comme le principle de fonctionnement d'un AC ou le gaz change d'état pour absorber de la chaleur mais en version passive et solide<--> Gel au lieu de liquide<-->gas.

Je me demande si une bébitte va pas tomber làdessus et en faire un festin lol

C'est pareil fucké ça... première fois que j'entend parler de ça. C'est un peu comme le principle de fonctionnement d'un AC ou le gaz change d'état pour absorber de la chaleur mais en version passive et solide<--> Gel au lieu de liquide<-->gas.

Je me demande si une bébitte va pas tomber làdessus et en faire un festin lol

Ou bin ta blonde a decide de mettre un cadre pi a te criss un clou drette dans une poche de gel dans le mur.

(traduction à suivre, si necessaire)

Phase Change Energy Solutions is an Asheboro, NC-born company that provides BioPCM coast to coast, and to over 22 countries. We are going into residential homes and businesses such as telecommunications buildings, server rooms, hotels, restaurants, medical buildings, hospitals, office buildings, greenhouses, grow houses, government buildings and more. We have major corporations like Microsoft, AT&T, Google, Chase Banks, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, and Chick-fil-a to name a few.

So your project or projects are definitely something we can assist you with. We typically ask questions to better determine what the customer might need.

For example:

• How are you planning to heat or cool the structure? HVAC? Chillers or Roof top units? Do you use VAVs? What is the tonnage for the

units?

• How many floors are in this structure?

• How many square feet are you trying to control?

• What will the roof design be?

• What is the ceiling height?

• Does or will this structure have any drop ceilings?

• Do you have any pictures, drawings or blueprints that could help us?

Information, "on the benefits (energy and cost)?"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/07eapa0esd51kgj/Heating and Cooling Energy Savings.docx?dl=0

Do you have any attic space to lay the ENRG Blanket on top of the ceiling between the rafters?

We typically encourage the ceiling first, if possible, to catch the energy released. Also, you can place the BioPCM ENRG Blanket in the walls but especially the North and South walls. We typically recommend 60% coverage per room.

So step 1 is underway. I'm in the process of buying a piece of land, about 2 acres. Very slightly irregular shaped but mostly squared North/South, East/West with the street along the south edge of the lot.

Certificate of location ? GPS map of the land ? You want to avoid any disputes or tax questions down the road. Water access or dig your own artesian well? Septic tank will not cause problems based on its
present or future location? What type of septic system is mandated or allowed? Access rights to other roadways, retained rights by neighbours to something you think is yours? Have you visited the
local county title office and seen the original title?

So step 1 is underway. I'm in the process of buying a piece of land, about 2 acres. Very slightly irregular shaped but mostly squared North/South, East/West with the street along the south edge of the lot.

Certificate of location ? GPS map of the land ? You want to avoid any disputes or tax questions down the road. Water access or dig your own artesian well? Septic tank will not cause problems based on its
present or future location? What type of septic system is mandated or allowed? Access rights to other roadways, retained rights by neighbours to something you think is yours? Have you visited the local county title office and seen the original title?

I will have to drill a well, the septic study (2-stage + a pump to send it to the field about 50m away) along with soil analysis just complete June 2018 and the result came back good. Sandy soil for good drainage.

As far as the road access, the lot is about 75m along a main road, with a potential of another 90m if they decide to make a street between the lot and the next one over so no issues with access rights.

For the rest of the legalese, well that's what I'm paying the notary to do, check that the land is free and clear and that when I hand over the cash i get the land as advertised (no strings attached).

Although I'm not too sure about is the certification of land. It's a completely raw piece of land clearly defined in the city record. Basically I can say lot #______ and the city can pull up the exact location and dimensions.

A surveyor can get a certificate of location, then the court rules it as official and permanent, after giving anyone time to contest the ruling. Irregular shape or not, you need more than a title or deed of sale. Who is the seller?

A surveyor can get a certificate of location, then the court rules it as official and permanent, after giving anyone time to contest the ruling. Irregular shape or not, you need more than a title or deed of sale. Who is the seller?

Private seller through an agent.

As for the surveying, I understand when you build stuff you need a surveyor to come and physically delineate the bondaries so you don't build on the neighbors lot but the land is already clearly defined as an immovable property with the city and has been for 30+ years. I can go to the city's website, punch in the lot number and it shows me the owners (same people I'm buying from), the city's evaluation of the land, the dimensions and more.

If there are no changes why would it have to be redefined in 2018?

For anybody in a city where water run off means you can't have asphalt drive way, I was looking at alternatives and came across porous concrete. The first time I saw it in action I was floored.

water.gif

J'allais écrire la même chose

Et après un seul hiver tous les pores bouchés raide par le sable/roches.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ice is not an issue. On normal pavement, rain falls down or snow melts and the water pools. If there are any imperfections the water goes in but can't fully drain so when it finally gets colder again it expands in that pocket and create the pothole we are so familiar with. With porous concrete the water drains so quickly it goes down thru the substrate (different sized rocks) and into the non frozen ground to drain just like it would in the summer. Also the pavement stays warmer in winter.

Now if you don't have bad ice buildup, you don't need to use salt in the first place.

The only downside is that the system is prone to clogging if there's a lot of dirt present but it can for the most part be fixed by going full Italian and pressure washing your driveway.

I had to attend a local council meeting; they were more interested in building up their tax base. A neighbor was building closer than the 5 metres away from the boundary. Even the local real estate lawyer
wouldn't touch it!

Private seller through an agent.

As for the surveying, I understand when you build stuff you need a surveyor to come and physically delineate the bondaries so you don't build on the neighbors lot but the land is already clearly defined as an immovable property with the city and has been for 30+ years. I can go to the city's website, punch in the lot number and it shows me the owners (same people I'm buying from), the city's evaluation of the land, the dimensions and more.

If there are no changes why would it have to be redefined in 2018?

5 meters from boundary? more like 5 feet? 5 meters sounds like a lot of minimal distance with the boundary...

Upstairs ceiling/attic.

Am I missing something? I see everywhere about super insulated walls, building the foundation on 12 inches of XPS and then you get to the 2nd floor and the convention is basically don't poke holes in the ceiling as much as possible and if you do, try to seal them up as best as you can to prevent leakage into the attic.

Wouldn't it be MUCH better to have a 2x6 or even 2x8 addition to create a gap for running wires/ducts in the ceiling and then covering it with some OSB. You can then have a continuous unpunctured air barrier that you connect to the outside wall AB and then add R-50 to 60 that won't have to contend with the stack effect.

Maybe there's a reason we don't do this, or it could just be I don't know what it's called. Do you guys know of anything?

Upstairs ceiling/attic.

Am I missing something? I see everywhere about super insulated walls, building the foundation on 12 inches of XPS and then you get to the 2nd floor and the convention is basically don't poke holes in the ceiling as much as possible and if you do, try to seal them up as best as you can to prevent leakage into the attic.

Wouldn't it be MUCH better to have a 2x6 or even 2x8 addition to create a gap for running wires/ducts in the ceiling and then covering it with some OSB. You can then have a continuous unpunctured air barrier that you connect to the outside wall AB and then add R-50 to 60 that won't have to contend with the stack effect.

Maybe there's a reason we don't do this, or it could just be I don't know what it's called. Do you guys know of anything?

Y'a personne qui fait ca paske ca coute plus cher pi Joe Average veut pas payer. Fak on passe le filage/plumbing/ducts dans les poutrelles de plancher.

Y'a personne qui fait ca paske ca coute plus cher pi Joe Average veut pas payer. Fak on passe le filage/plumbing/ducts dans les poutrelles de plancher.

Do they install lights and bathroom fans on the floor? There is a lot that doesn't pass through the 2nd floor ceiling, and you can even get away with being stingy and having plug in lights in all the bedrooms but the hallway/staircase and bathroom(s) will need ceiling lighting and the bathroom also needs ventilation. It's for these things that I ask the question.

Back