Lease is up 4 months after warranty expires and N20 engines are blowing up...

rollingsound

Hi guys, I've got a lease coming due in the late Fall of 2019 but the warranty expires in the Summer of 2019. I'll be w/o coverage for a handful of months. This came about because I bought a demo model btw. I wasn't too worried because catastrophic failures of drivetrain usually follow a bathtub curve where it either craps out at the beginning or the end of life. Apparently though, Bmer N20 engines are crapping out at an alarming rate. I'm looking for advice on my options here. I looked up aftermarket warranties but all the terms seem to be for 12 months or more and are kind of pricey. I also could go whore myself at the dealer around Summer 2019 and say if I can get myself out of my lease early I'll sign a new one. Are there any other options anyone is aware of? An engine replacement is not an acceptable financial risk for me given the failure rates we're seeing with these bloody engines.

Thanks!

The early ones are failing. 2013-2013 ISH.. oil pump chains mostly, although we just saw one with a scored cylinder

Signs of failure? Massive clacking/ knocking from the engine, oil psi light at idle. Lots of smoke from engine on start up

The early ones are failing. 2013-2013 ISH.. oil pump chains mostly, although we just saw one with a scored cylinder

Signs of failure? Massive clacking/ knocking from the engine, oil psi light at idle. Lots of smoke from engine on start up

Is that just because they've been on the road longer? Or was there anything materially changed on the '14 and onward models to the drivetrain?

I got rid of my 340i 2 years before lease end. BMW is garbage. They drive like Toyotas now, except with BMW you get the privilege of battery drains and coolant leaks on your brand new car, that are so bad you have to check and top off your coolant every time you fill up. All of which are perfectly normal according to the dealer. Plus you always have the risk of catastrophic engine failure to top it off.

I wish you best of luck for those few off-warranty months OP, I really do.

Taking a lease contract longer than the actual warranty is a really, really bad idea. They will be more than happy to help you sign for another lease when you'll desperately show up at the dealer explaining them the situation.

I'd suggest you show up a month before the warranty expires so you can have some time ahead to take the right decision. You will likely have a negative equity so be sure to negotiate your deal firmly. If you feel it's not enough for you, don't hesitate to go see another dealer. They can take back your lease anywhere. You can also consider selling them the car if it doesn't have too much mileage and if the payout looks to be below the market price. Good luck!

I got rid of my 340i 2 years before lease end. BMW is garbage. They drive like Toyotas now, except with BMW you get the privilege of battery drains and coolant leaks on your brand new car, that are so bad you have to check and top off your coolant every time you fill up. All of which are perfectly normal according to the dealer. Plus you always have the risk of catastrophic engine failure to top it off.

I wish you best of luck for those few off-warranty months OP, I really do.

You just busted the lease?

Maybe OP should take a service appointment at the dealer and claim his engine is clacking/knocking and smoking on startup. Obviously they will find nothing, but if he runs into engine problems off-warranty, he can always use his prior service appointment as a bargaining chip and claim the issue had begun while the car was on-warranty.

reece.JPG

Maybe OP should take a service appointment at the dealer and claim his engine is clacking/knocking and smoking on startup. Obviously they will find nothing, but if he runs into engine problems off-warranty, he can always use his prior service appointment as a bargaining chip and claim the issue had begun while the car was on-warranty.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/022/138/reece.JPG

I like the idea but generall they DGAF, I've heard stories that melt my brain

Taking a lease contract longer than the actual warranty is a really, really bad idea. They will be more than happy to help you sign for another lease when you'll desperately show up at the dealer explaining them the situation.

I'd suggest you show up a month before the warranty expires so you can have some time ahead to take the right decision. You will likely have a negative equity so be sure to negotiate your deal firmly. If you feel it's not enough for you, don't hesitate to go see another dealer. They can take back your lease anywhere. You can also consider selling them the car if it doesn't have too much mileage and if the payout looks to be below the market price. Good luck!

This

I got 2000$ more for my civic by going to another dealer.

How about bringing your car to a good independent garage (Gregster, VAG...) to have it inspected for early signs of issues. That should help you make a enlighten decision.

How about bringing your car to a good independent garage (Gregster, VAG...) to have it inspected for early signs of issues. That should help you make a enlighten decision.

I've got a contact for that sort of thing but it'll still be out of pocket for the inspection and no further along in terms of being covered should something develop later.

There's class action lawsuits against Bmer about this engine... sigh... I miss my N52

Fait juste changer ton auto juste avant que la garantie se termine. C’est pas rare qu’un concessionnaire a des allocations pour racheter 2-3-4 mois d’un lease.

I'm a gambler. I'd ride out the few months off warranty before getting rid of it. Just be nice to it as soon as you do.

Fait juste changer ton auto juste avant que la garantie se termine. C’est pas rare qu’un concessionnaire a des allocations pour racheter 2-3-4 mois d’un lease.

This. 4 months is nothing. if you didn't have a baloune brought over onto this lease, they should be good to take it back a few months early. Depending on what time of year, higher end brands even have promotions for this type of thing, so it wont even fall on dealer negotiation, they just want to make sure you take another car.

This is clearly OP fault's for not buying the extended warranty.
Catastrophic engine failures is just one the many perks of owning the ultimate driving machine.

Poor decision from the start.

Buying an extended warranty for such a short period of time will be expensive. Your best bet is probably to trade it in for a new one.

Les n20 de 2011 a 2015 on un problème de guide de timing chain qui brise, le guide est en plastique, le seule symptôme que tu va avoir c'est un "whine" jusqu'à temps que ça brise. Les symptômes que tu mentionnent ont aucun rapport :p smoke on engine start up c'est un problème avec le turbo, qui est réglé par ; changer la oil feed line, si ça marche pas changer le turbo. C'est un trouble connu. Le reste que tu a mentionné ne sont pas des problèmes typique du n20.

I had a hunch that 4 cylinder BMW's were gonna be bad news.

Les nouveaux 4 cyl. b46-b48 sont vraiment fiable jusqu'a date.... je peux pas parler pour les N20.
Mais depuis qu'on a des B46/48 la moitié de la shop ou je travail tombe sur le chômage durant l'hiver: c'est du jamais vue depuis 5 ans.
Il deux trois petite fuites style o ring de la hose d'huile au turbo/ seal de crank coté serpentine.
Faute de mixture control qui est un glitch qui ce régle avec un prog du dme....
C'est pas un toyota, mais c'est vraiment rendu fiable.

Back