Florida school shooting

Support for mental health: you want to start scanning everyone for health issues? Lots of people will pass those tests with flying colors and still end up shooting people.
Shrink the gap between rich and poor: don't see what this has to do with it. Lot of poor people out there don't have guns or issues...
FBI doing their job: you're probably blaming them for this ONE occasion where they didn't react and admited to it...
Background checks: 100%
Restricted permit: this doesn't solve anything if anyone can just get a permit.

It's not about screening the entire population it's about having services readily available when they are needed. Instead of having someone that's maybe on the edge wait for months on a waiting list jumping through hoops and not being able to afford help.

Gap between rich and poor: creates resentment, fosters envy (the I'm going to get mine at any cost mentality, that drives criminality to be acceptable). Canada isn't perfect but we mostly don't have as much third world level poverty on our streets and in our communities as the US does.

It's not about screening the entire population it's about having services readily available when they are needed. Instead of having someone that's maybe on the edge wait for months on a waiting list jumping through hoops and not being able to afford help.

Gap between rich and poor: creates resentment, fosters envy (the I'm going to get mine at any cost mentality, that drives criminality to be acceptable). Canada isn't perfect but we mostly don't have as much third world level poverty on our streets and in our communities as the US does.

exactly my point

I don't understand how what you wrote contradicts what I wrote... your example is kinda what I was talking about. :dunno:

Were you THAT excited to throw shit my way?

Learn to fucking read.

Increase the penalties all you want, those offences are the first one to be negotiated OUT OF ANY CONVICTION to begin with when they do a plea bargain. The charges are dropped by the crown in exchange for being a witness in another case, reduced sentence but quicker trial due to pleading guilty to other charges and stuff like that.

You think it's easy to spot a mental issue before someone commits something stupid??

Look at all that's happened in the past years, the families of the people who committed the actions come out saying he was a good person, would never hurt a fly, bla bla bla...it's not like looking in the mirror and noticing a pimple.

You think it's easy to spot a mental issue before someone commits something stupid??

Look at all that's happened in the past years, the families of the people who committed the actions come out saying he was a good person, would never hurt a fly, bla bla bla...it's not like looking in the mirror and noticing a pimple.

again, no one said anything about spotting a mental issue, although my post may have been vague. It's about having the resources to help people deal with their mental issues.

what, lol what?

The gap in the US is insane, much bigger than it is here

I would be curious to see the ratio of poor people with guns versus poor people with no guns.

I'm willing to bet that poor people with guns are mostly criminals/drug dealers/no one cares about them and they don't help themselves so why would anyone help them?

again, no one said anything about spotting a mental issue, although my post may have been vague. It's about having the resources to help people deal with their mental issues.

that's all nice and dandy and I'm all for it....but what is that going to solve if no one spots anything abnormal with someone who then commits an horrible action?

It's easy to say "we need to help people with mental issues" AFTER we know that they have mental issues and committed something wrong.

I think the rich to poor financial gap is a problem of its own and not necessarily related to the type of gun violence they have, especially school shootings.

i think you are getting wayyyyy to far away from the point here....shrink the gap between the rich and poor...help everyone with metal issues to avoid this...you are basically trying to make the world perfect. much simpler to get rid of the means to kill instead(in this case the guns). the whole point this 18yo guy bought a gun at a store and shot up a school and ended up killing 17 people. Pretty sure if the gun store wasnt there this would have been much harder to achieve...idk about you but id much rather have this kid run around with a knife or whatever else than a gun

i think you are getting wayyyyy to far away from the point here....shrink the gap between the rich and poor...help everyone with metal issues to avoid this...you are basically trying to make the world perfect. much simpler to get rid of the means to kill instead(in this case the guns). the whole point this 18yo guy bought a gun at a store and shot up a school and ended up killing 17 people. Pretty sure if the gun store wasnt there this would have been much harder to achieve...idk about you but id much rather have this kid run around with a knife or whatever else than a gun

You are absolutely right, I tend to put that type of arguments in the "white noise" category of rhetoric, the shit that gets thrown in the debate to muddy the water, change the topic and/or give the issue the appearance of a problem that just can't be fixed... to promote the statu quo mostly.

Make the world perfect? Why not. Achievable? haha, nope.

But like LG said, bottom line is, you can't ban guns in the US. You just can't. People will go nuts. So you need other solutions.

Stephen Paddock, author of the mass shooting in vegas, was far from being poor....

What's your point? Guns are so freaking cheap in the US that money is hardly the determining factor in acquiring one.

Americans are just violent people in general, from their obsession with the military and law enforcement (seriously go look at how many of their primetime shows are about military teams/swat/law enforcement) to general acceptance that physical violence is a more than legitimate reaction to confrontation.

All guns do is amplify the consequences of what is (the natural) friction of interacting with other people.
In a civilized society you get into a fight with someone you don't like? Yell at them, curse them out and go on with your day.
People have knives? Well all of a sudden people get stabby. (look at London and the UK)
People have guns? Oh surprise they start shooting at each other.
People only have their fist? They'll get into fights and generally stop (before anyone is seriously injured) after a while because they're so winded.

What's your point? Guns are so freaking cheap in the US that money is hardly the determining factor in acquiring one.

I think you are wrong there, leaving out criminals on criminals mass shootings, thinking just about for school shooters. Also, when you are really poor... even 200$us is nearly out of the equation.

People argu that the rich to poor gap is one of the reasons why there is alot of gun violence.

Well that dude wasn't poor...
Fine you'll say it's one exception, but it's 1 too many as S1FAP would say...

People argu that the rich to poor gap is one of the reasons why there is alot of gun violence.

Well that dude wasn't poor...
Fine you'll say it's one exception, but it's 1 too many as S1FAP would say...

I provided an explanation of how the rich-poor dynamic can create a dynamic in which violence/criminality is more acceptable. Mostly the ugliest human emotions resentment/envy, it's not just the poor that feel resentment and envy, people feel cheated every day, whether it's for good reason or not.

People that embark on these shootings more often than not construct a narrative in their heads to justify their action, the kid in the Florida shooting was also expelled from that school last year. Don't you think that there was resentment there? These mass-shootings are such hateful and dissproportinate crimes that they almost always have an element of "self-justice" where the perpetrator corrects a perceived wrong.

I like to look at it this way: There are good drivers and bad drivers.

Nobody wants to ban cars because a certain percentage of drivers are bad enough that they'll wind up killing someone with their car.

Intent should be the main argument here. And don't get me wrong, I understand that the US has a major problem with crazy people obtaining access to gun. THAT's where the problem lies, access to firearms by homicidal maniacs.

Normal people don't shoot up schools, movie theaters and malls.

I think you are wrong there, leaving out criminals on criminals mass shootings, thinking just about for school shooters. Also, when you are really poor... even 200$us is nearly out of the equation.

By instinct, I want to say that the vast majority of shooters in school shootings are mostly white-middle class men (which also happens to be democraphic group that has the highest gun ownership rate, I want to say something like 50% of white males in the US own a gun but I'd have to find the source) so they have the money to afford the guns they want.

Back