Petro Canada BAD gas story, car towed after fill up! Multiple cars effected 94 Octane

Custom_R1

Legacy Member
I had a crap Friday debute!

My wife and kids are going to Disney on Ice at the Bell Center, I decide to go fill up the tank for her and wash the car at our local Petro Canada, I always use 94 Octane, don't ask...lol, I know there are few who think 89 Octane works just fine! But this is "not" the topic here! I finish filling up, go inside and pay, grab a car wash while I'm there. I get in my car, wash the car via jet wash system. I get out of the car wash, car starts to stall on me, pop'n sound like misfire and pretty much car stoping dead. I go inside the Petro Canada, find another customer yelling at them saying that his daughters car is 2018 and she also put 94 octane in her VW that's now at the dealer with bad gas issues. This guy helped me figure out its not my car...it's the gas! Anyway my car was towed to the dealer, it was the wrong day for me to have this issue.."no good day for it to happen to any customer but anyway" I had to find a way to get my kids to the Bell Center, they would've cried for days if they missed it! I been pumping them up to see Disney on Ice for 2 months now, front row seats to see Elsa and whole nine yards. Mother in law save the day and we got the kids to the Bell Center!

Dealer is flushing the system, full tanks worth ��, poor guys getting high. Check spark plugs, reset the ECU, air out the gas tank, it's the weekend so cars sleeping there, I'm going to have to wash the kids car seats since removed by mechanics, no big deal but while the seats are out might as well.

I'm 41, I've never seen this happen, oh yeah maybe once on TV to some random Joe, I was the random Joe today as well. The Petro Canada is covering my bill so far, let's see if the owner man up to the bill when I give him the bill!

If you notice the gas pump is a little slow, might be a problem with the system...stop..pay and run! I've had pumps be slow on me in the past..never had issues but might be a problem!

I'm sharing in case this happens to you, you should doubt the gas if it's after a fill up...might not be the car!

I wasn't going to give the location but it's the right thing to do, Petro Canada in Hudson Vaudreuil Exit 28!
Yeahhhh great weekend debute�� no joke..if we are healthy..don't matter..bring on the problems! That's life!

Last edited:
It did happen to my sister 10 years ago and it was also petrocan, she had a caravan, put regular in it... Car sputter like crazy.
Sent the car to the dealership... bad gas, full of debris. By chance she kept the receipt for the gas... she wasn't alone, but in the end PetroCan admit their error and paid the whole thing (gas, towing, repair, rental car)

shit happens i guess...

It's the gas station problem for sure or the story would be on the news by now, I drove past them again and saw tech trucks working to figure out what the problem was. I think the water filter in the main tanks not doing the job.

Hudson Vaudreuil exit 28

Last edited:
That sucks. Wondering what it is. Can it be infiltration into the storage tanks at that particular site?

On a side note, ditch Petro use

V-
9ddcf90b31f3f2fba9abfe5dc94048db.jpg

I seen this years ago at a gas station by Calabogie selling 94. There was a bunch of sediment in the main tank. The people who filled up started suffering from lack of power etc..

Inside the fuel tanks was sand.. the same for the fuel filters. What a mess..

That Petro Can at 17 has plastic main tanks..

On another note though. I filled up a few weeks ago at the ultramar near me and got no gas!!

I always go there to fill up with 94 with my stage 1 tune! Meh! Went there 2 days ago actually. No problem so far.

Wife's car has the filter on the fuel pump, so the crap if any that got into the tank should stay there. I was worried that if it's water that got into my tank it could bend the valves...all I know is what ever happen, they are liable in so many ways it's not funny! Life is hard as is...adding to my plate rrrr but once again, if we are healthy..we can deal with problems! Gotta be thankful as many families are dealing with health issues in the family. Live to fight another day..life goes on.

Poor owner, he has to flush the bad gas now, they just received a truck load last night, he has to replace the gas too, pay for damaged cars! Guess he claiming insurance cause it's gonna be a big bill since it's his location for sure that cause the gas to be contaminated.

Nice to see some of the older faces..accounts that is..it's been a while since my last thread! Hello you sexy folks! Slow down on the roads lol I got kids in my car..I'm more mature now about driving..Live and learn I guess.

My buddy had problems after filling up his snowmobile at Petro-Canada earlier this week, same issue and I believe it was at the same station in Saint-Lazare.

C'est arrivé au Petro-Canada sur le boulevard St-Joseph a Drummond il y a 10 ans. Par contre je ne me rappelle pas si c'etait le 87/89/91/94. Il y avait eu une bonne dizaine de plaintes et quelque moteurs remplacé.

Ils ont remplacé les tanks et ils viennent encore de les remplacé l'an passé.

Pour ma part je n'ai jamais tinké un véhicule au Petro-Canada. J'alterne entre Ultramar et Shell.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Seems many cars effected this week..I just found out it's a multiple car issue! I got a sample of the gas! Looks like 80% water and 20% black stuff....doesn't even smell like gas. This ain't good..praying it didnt Bend valves.

V'la 3 ans il y avait une journée Dyno Mustang chez Bonhomme Performance, 2 gars avec des Shelby Gt500 de 600hp++ avait gazé 94 au Pétro juste a a coté, cette journée ils sortaient que 500hp,
Alex de Bonhomme Performance qui connait le proprio du Pétro a résussi a savoir qu'un peu de diesel avait été mélangé au 94 dans leur réservoir.

De mémoire Alex m'avait dit que le gars de van de refill s'était trompé et avait commencé a remplir la tank de 94 de diesiel, apres 40-50-sec il a allumé...
Mais comme de raison ils on pas drainé et nettoyer la tank alors il a fuller le reste du réservoir au 94.

Last edited:
I fueled up with 94 gasoline at Petro Canada exit 26 around 5pm this Thursday (8th of March).
Station pump was going really slow - like 1 liter every 10-15 seconds, I went to the store to check if this is normal - the guy at the cash assured me that the pump will go faster if I would wait. I came back and tried it again, but it was slow, so I got only around 10 liters.
In an hour after a short drive I started the engine, it was shaking for a while, but then everything became normal - so I went back home to St Lazare.
Yesterday I tried to start - failed in all ~30 attempts. Battery is dead now. Now I'm trying to siphon out all of the gas and replace with good one, probably would put some ethanole as well to get rid of all water.

So please avoid all Petro Canada in the area!!!
Please if you need one more victim of the issue in confronting with PetroCanada - contact me here! I'm very frustrated! I was a dedicated customer for several years - no more Petro for me :(

Alexey

Thanks for sharing Dr.! I'll send you a PM if I need help! But my dealer has had many cars have the same problem who put gas there!

Owner seems very honest and polite, he was real depressed about the problem, I didn't see them empty the tanks yesterday but they did have a crew fixing stuff. I went there today to drop off a sample of the gas that was in my car, saw the 94 octane back in service...word!!?? I hope it's not just drained of water and put back to use. Damn money, greed, gets people doing stuff to survive in this world, there was a black haze in the gas along with a tone of water! anyway I'm looking forward to getting my car back.

I'll contact Petro Canada head office if I have any issues with a refund for the bill at the dealer, never mind the bill, what a bad experience! Stressed out..time wasted and damage done to the car rrrr!

Car needs: oil change, new gas filter, spark plugs, fuel flush including the lines, maybe new injectors cause water does damage to them...praying the motor is healthy!

What can I do..it is what it is like my hommie would say..RIP Phil

You have to be aware that retailer have no idea what exactly is the gasoline inside the fuel tank since the mega corp is the one sending it.

If the car fuck up on you, don't yell at innocent people.

Here's the list:
-Customer service
-Cashier
-The owner of the retailer
-The cops
-Your wife
-your husband
-Your kid
-Your friends
-Your doctor
-The delivery man
-The person laughing at you, because the car fuck up
-etc...

Slow pump=not much gas left in the tank.

I usually fill up at the same 2-3 places, if the pump is much slower than usual I just pay my 5$ and leave. So far so good!

Good luck! :(

Back