Petro Canada BAD gas story, car towed after fill up! Multiple cars effected 94 Octane

No this was gas from a regular pump. The car came in to him with the complaint that the Car ran like shit.

I really wonder why Canadian vs American gas I always get more mileage from American 91 octane. I usually chalk it up to doing more highway miles but still threads like this make me wonder.

What time of the year? During winter we have a different gas mixture that may lead to worse fuel economy.

On a physical side every bump, pothole and shit road you drive down causes you to loose speed and use more gas to maintain speed that a smooth well paved road wouldn't. Kind of like driving up hill.

Finally ethanol will kill efficiency. As far as I know V-Power (Shell 91) is the only gas without. Could be that more fuels down there are without so definitely better mileage from pure gasoline versus ethanol added.

What time of the year? During winter we have a different gas mixture that may lead to worse fuel economy.

On a physical side every bump, pothole and shit road you drive down causes you to loose speed and use more gas to maintain speed that a smooth well paved road wouldn't. Kind of like driving up hill.

Finally ethanol will kill efficiency. As far as I know V-Power (Shell 91) is the only gas without. Could be that more fuels down there are without so definitely better mileage from pure gasoline versus ethanol added.

Same time of the year, one week to another. I know gas mixtures flip season to season.

Also most 91 octanes are supposed to be no ethanol.

Petro-Can 94 is shit gas, full of ethanol.

Shell 91 no ethanol is what I always fuel up with, and my car is dyno tuned with 94 octane fuel.

Here we go again with uninformed nonsense. Gas with ethanol is far from shit. It's just 2-3% less efficient than the same octane fuel without ethanol. Bottom line is, 94 at Petro is better than 91 at Shell in an application that can take advantage of the increased octane.

Here we go again with uninformed nonsense. Gas with ethanol is far from shit. It's just 2-3% less efficient than the same octane fuel without ethanol. Bottom line is, 94 at Petro is better than 91 at Shell in an application that can take advantage of the increased octane.

Sometimes I wonder if we don't have Astroturfing going on here against Petro-Canada for Shell... this shit just keeps re-surfacing.

It's not uninformed bullshit and I couldn't care less about the slight calorific power difference between ethanol and gas which causes the lower fuel mileage.

It's all about the corrosion potential of ethanol, mainly during storage or longer use of a single fuel tank, which creates the perfect environment for acetobacters to develop. Plus its a solvent and it dries rubber gaskets. I don't want that shit going through my fuel system.

The problem is worse on small carburated engines like ATVs, lawnmowers, motorcycles and the likes because the fuel tend to stay longer in the fuel tank before being completely used, but the corrosion happens in cars too.

0722-ethanol-harley-fuel-pump.jpg

Moi aussi je ne jure que par le 91 de Shell avec aucun éthanol. Petro-Canada j'évite le plus possible, assez cheap comme essence même si le 94 est dispo

It's not uninformed bullshit and I couldn't care less about the slight calorific power difference between ethanol and gas which causes the lower fuel mileage.

It's all about the corrosion potential of ethanol, mainly during storage or longer use of a single fuel tank, which creates the perfect environment for acetobacters to develop. Plus its a solvent and it dries rubber gaskets. I don't want that shit going through my fuel system.

The problem is worse on small carburated engines like ATVs, lawnmowers, motorcycles and the likes because the fuel tend to stay longer in the fuel tank before being completely used, but the corrosion happens in cars too.

Drive your car, don't drive a lawnmowers (even if Broody says its cool)... problem solved.

Drive your car, don't drive a lawnmowers (even if Broody says its cool)... problem solved.

In the summer I can be 1-2 weeks without using the car because I ride the bike, the same way I can let the bike in the garage for a few weeks (especially during storage). Plenty of time to develop acetobacters in the gas tank. Ethanol also has a tendancy to attract water/air humidity.

Everything with a carburator = no ethanol because it dries the gaskets and other rubber components.

I really see no good reason to use ethanol except if your car is tuned to the point 91 would damage it, but we all have knock sensors so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather have Shell 93 without ethanol like in the USA.

The owner is very understanding, he paid the bill and refunding me for towing and gas. 950$ bill including towing and gas refund.

Do you..if 94 octane makes you happy..do it! Don't let others tell u what it is! we all have our thing in life...waste or not!

is it repaired at the gaz station? any update on the cause of this?

good to know he paid in full!A

My friend had major problems with Petro 94 from the Hudson exit in his WRX the other week.

I just filled up with Petro 94 from the Petro on the 201 exit near the McDonalds/BurgerKing and my car is now stuttering under hard pulls, used Petro 94 all last year with no problems, used 91 during the winter with no problems, first fill up of Petro 94 this spring and my car is stuttering under hard pulls.

I am going to drive it gently until the tank is done (40% left) and fill up with Shell V-Power 91 and see if it still stutters under WoT.

Looks like the bad gas is also affecting the 201 Petro.

Est-ce que vous savez si le 91 de petro-can c'est un mélange de 94 et 87?
J'ai toujours pensé que oui, de la même manière que les autre sations service le 89 c'est un mélange de la tank de 91 et 87, ils ont pas une tank juste pour le 89.

Est-ce que vous savez si le 91 de petro-can c'est un mélange de 94 et 87?
J'ai toujours pensé que oui, de la même manière que les autre sations service le 89 c'est un mélange de la tank de 91 et 87, ils ont pas une tank juste pour le 89.

One tank of 87 and one tank of 91 with a third smaller tank of additive to reach 94. All gas mixed on site. 87 + 91 = 89. 91 + additive = 94.

My friend had major problems with Petro 94 from the Hudson exit in his WRX the other week.

I just filled up with Petro 94 from the Petro on the 201 exit near the McDonalds/BurgerKing and my car is now stuttering under hard pulls, used Petro 94 all last year with no problems, used 91 during the winter with no problems, first fill up of Petro 94 this spring and my car is stuttering under hard pulls.

I am going to drive it gently until the tank is done (40% left) and fill up with Shell V-Power 91 and see if it still stutters under WoT.

Looks like the bad gas is also affecting the 201 Petro.

Could be dirty fuel filter, or injector clogged. Check fuel first, but saying that Petro-Can fuel is shit may be precipitated.

One tank of 87 and one tank of 91 with a third smaller tank of additive to reach 94. All gas mixed on site. 87 + 91 = 89. 91 + additive = 94.

Faux, il y a un réservoir de 94 et un réservoir de 87 et c'est le distributeur qui fait le mélange.

Faux, il y a un réservoir de 94 et un réservoir de 87 et c'est le distributeur qui fait le mélange.

J'ai 2 réponses différente. Comment je fait pour savoir qui dit vrai? :dunno:

Si c'est une tank de 87 et une de 94, ça veut dire que tout ceux qui ont mis du super (91), devrait aussi avoir eu le même problème (c'est peut-être le cas, je suis pas au courant).

C'est juste que parfois je met du 94 (habituellement je met du 91), et je me dit que si la tank sert juste pour le 94 (si c'est une tank d'additif par exemple), alors des fois le contenue doit être vraiment vieux, car probablement personnes met cela dans mon coin. Si ça sert aussi à faire le 91, alors le roulement du contenu de la tank est plus élevé.

I would be extremely surprised if they were holding 94 octane fuel in one of the large underground tanks as that would be extremely cost prohibitive. The number #1 selling octane level is obviously 87, followed by 91. 89 and 94 are way behind in terms of volume. I can't believe that they are storing 94 underground and use it to as a cutting agent through the pump blenders to get down to 89 or 91 octane. Do you have a source you can provide that indicates that they are using underground tanks of 87 and 94?

Back