tax on a car in different province?

Camry90

Lets say i live in Ab and i want to buy a car from QC. the full 15% tax applies or just the 5%?:bigup:
Looking in the used market

Last edited:
Looks like it should be 5%. Just don't know how many hoops you'll have to jump through to get the PST back.

https://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/busi...sale-of-road-vehicles-shipped-outside-quebec/

Honest question tho: Why?

Cars out west are generally in better condition. If it's older/ has been registered already you'll probably need to get it safetied. This can end up being a pricy proposition as whoever does the inspection has a lot of leverage over you.
IE my buddy had to get his windshield replaced. It was "sand blasted" they said. Truck was 5 years old / had 60k km. No chips or cracks.

QC cars also get a bad rep for resale because of additional corrosion vs local cars.

Lets say i live in Ab and i want to buy a car from QC. the full 15% tax applies or just the 5%?:bigup:
You pay zero taxes if from a private sellet

AB has no provincial tax and thus has no tax on used vehicles. No wonder everyone has 3 cars two bikes a sled and so on.

If you buy from a dealer than the dealer should not charge you the provincial taxes as you are not registering it here, but will have to charge you 5% GST, but that is likely more of a hassle to deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There are a lot less choices of cars in Ab than Qc or On. I saw something nice and “cheaper” so i thought it might be worth the time. And prices are usually higher because it’s less taxed

Not worth importing from east. Needs to pass out of province and they don’t like east cars. They’re more expensive here but sooooo clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look at Cars in BC/SK/MB if you can't find it in AB.

They might be safety exempt because of the New West Partnership.

What are you looking at anyways?

If it's too old they'll fuck you over with tie rods/wheel bearings and all that jazz on the inspection. Cracked bumper cover? That's a no go. Visible rust? no go. My 2 months old /6000km truck "needed an alignment"
By that I mean they threw the steering off center and had to re-do it again afterwards to get it back to what it was.

If it's too old they'll fuck you over with tie rods/wheel bearings and all that jazz on the inspection. Cracked bumper cover? That's a no go. Visible rust? no go. My 2 months old /6000km truck "needed an alignment"
By that I mean they threw the steering off center and had to re-do it again afterwards to get it back to what it was.

i was looking at AM Vantage V8 and Cayman S

Vantage V8 when looking were all out west!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yup. Some west some east.... i’m inquiring incase there is one back in Qc for less but if i had to add 15%.... then maybe not so worth it

OOP inspections are mandatory in BC. Never heard of exemptions.

Also, cars are 35-45% more expensive in BC than in QC.

Just replaced my totalled 2006 Civic, which insurance has given me 6000$ for... by a Pontiac Vibe 4500$ 154k km, mint everything.

Cars don’t stay mint in QC

Depends on the type of car... an econobox? Sure... OP is looking at AM Vantages and Porsche Caymans. These cars don’t typically suffer the same level of neglects!

Fair, they still would need to pass an OOP inspection!

Honestly unless the cars is 5k cheaper for the same trim year model mileage it’s not worth it. 2000$ to train it out west, 500-600$ OOP inspection, etc etc

Back