Volkswagen/Audi graveyard

Selling them elsewhere vw could have said "its more eco-friendly to sell these cars than scrap them and spend more resources transforming it into different cars. Also other countries have different regulations so thats none of your business"

Hope they ship 'em to places where they can use the cars because a fair bit look brand new. The notion that they "polluted" too much is a farce when you consider all the dirty energy that was put into building them. Should have let them go to end of life.
Totalement d'accord. Je pense que cette décision est une démonstration de force pour mettre en garde les prochains contrevenants.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

Selling them elsewhere vw could have said "its more eco-friendly to sell these cars than scrap them and spend more resources transforming it into different cars. Also other countries have different regulations so thats none of your business"
I'm curious if you actually understand how business works. These cars are a liability to VW and the cost of buying them back has already been written off. VW has already tarnished a reputation thanks to it. There won't be any export of these cars and the sale to a 3rd party will be for destruction under the supervision of VW lawyers

VW isn't in the business of selling used cars. Especially cars with such a history. Imagine the scandal of shipping these "garbage cars" to countries with lax emission rules. Too much risk especially if those countries refuse entry while the cars are enroute . Better off crushing them less libaility

This isn't a case of some corner lot shipping cars to a 3rd world country. It's one of the world's largest auto manufactures

Something tells me they'll never fix them

the research and installation , at what end .... try to sell a car 2012 , that sold 25 000$ at 9 000$ , wont be too worth it IMO

i work for the Germans , and a tiny required fix on a 4 year old 10,000$ instrument, the customer usually ends up buying a new one .

Something tells me they'll never fix them

the research and installation , at what end .... try to sell a car 2012 , that sold 25 000$ at 9 000$ , wont be too worth it IMO

i work for the Germans , and a tiny required fix on a 4 year old 10,000$ instrument, the customer usually ends up buying a new one .

The cars were scrap the second the buyback paper work was filed. They will likely hold on to the cars for a few years until the court cases are settled etc

It's crazy how in the name of ecology they are scraping so many perfectly working cars.

If they attempted to move the cars out of country you'd have a 24hr CNN newscast watching the cars get loaded into a container ship, belching bunker fuel as it pulls out of the harbour. Cue newsflash about container ships polluting so much. Something something outrageous, something something displacing the problem.

Social Justice Warriors would then complain that VW is going to kill impoverished people in poor countries, tricking them into buying the instrument of their slow, untimely demise at a deeply discounted price.

You just can't win a anymore these days.

If they attempted to move the cars out of country you'd have a 24hr CNN newscast watching the cars get loaded into a container ship, belching bunker fuel as it pulls out of the harbour. Cue newsflash about container ships polluting so much. Something something outrageous, something something displacing the problem.

Social Justice Warriors would then complain that VW is going to kill impoverished people in poor countries, tricking them into buying the instrument of their slow, untimely demise at a deeply discounted price.

You just can't win a anymore these days.

Exactly! The irony

Also not to be buzzkillington but ships don't burn bunker fuel oil in port and close to shore. Closer to shore and in port they burn marine grade diesel(MDO), open sea heavy marine fuel(RMK, RMG) . You have have better engine response on diesel. At open sea the engines are basically on cruise control as you do very little slow speed maneuvers. Passing through the St Lawrence Seaway you will be running on diesel as well. Most of the sea shipping lanes are divided up into environmental emission zones and states how much "crap" you can release into the air based on that zone. Starting in 2020 sulfur content needs to be at .5% Vs the 3.5% it's at now. Fuel consumption is measured in tons per hour..Fuel quality and sulfur contents sorta vary across the globe depending where you are fueling up. The price of fuel drastically changed around the world as well. Some ports will only have IFO380 or MGO.. the larger busier ports will have IFO380, 180, LSMGO and ULSFO. Some might offer LNG as well. For example a ship here leaving Montreal might only fuel up on MDO until it's next port of call in Halifax or such then fuel up on RMK, RMG

They adjust emissions on coal burning plants too based on hour of the day.

Even though they have the means to pollute less, when they can, they don't turn on the "cleaners" and pollute up to the limit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

They adjust emissions on coal burning plants too based on hour of the day.

Even though they have the means to pollute less, when they can, they don't turn on the "cleaners" and pollute up to the limit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yea cleaners etc on ships are mostly for fuel economy..

I'm curious if you actually understand how business works. These cars are a liability to VW and the cost of buying them back has already been written off. VW has already tarnished a reputation thanks to it. There won't be any export of these cars and the sale to a 3rd party will be for destruction under the supervision of VW lawyers

VW isn't in the business of selling used cars. Especially cars with such a history. Imagine the scandal of shipping these "garbage cars" to countries with lax emission rules. Too much risk especially if those countries refuse entry while the cars are enroute . Better off crushing them less libaility

This isn't a case of some corner lot shipping cars to a 3rd world country. It's one of the world's largest auto manufactures

What about countries that still use 20+ year old cars that are even more polluting and are drastically less safe?

I understand that they're not in the business of selling used cars but they can simply reach an agreement before shipping them and just have the Buyer sign a liability clause removing VW from all potential culpability.

The result is that VW share holders recoup some of the losses, a third world nation is getting better cars than they had and the hard-line eco hippies can be shown that overall it's net positive for the environment to not just scrap working cars.

I understand that not all cars will be worthwhile, scrap those, but in the OP last picture I don't think any of those cars are ready from the scrap heap.

What about countries that still use 20+ year old cars that are even more polluting and are drastically less safe?

I understand that they're not in the business of selling used cars but they can simply reach an agreement before shipping them and just have the Buyer sign a liability clause removing VW from all potential culpability.

The result is that VW share holders recoup some of the losses, a third world nation is getting better cars than they had and the hard-line eco hippies can be shown that overall it's net positive for the environment to not just scrap working cars.

I understand that not all cars will be worthwhile, scrap those, but in the OP last picture I don't think any of those cars are ready from the scrap heap.

That's not how big corporations generally work. VW has interests in pretty much every country on earth, they sell NEW cars not used cars that were involved in a scandal. This is not a case of reselling a refurb TV or demo fridge If I were a share holder I worry about the net long term, VW will make those numbers back. Truth be told they are starting too.. I'd want those cars gone ASAP and the aura gone as a share holder. The biggest hurdle by far is the US has to approve the cars for export, which they likely wont

Here is the biggest problem. what are you are going to sell those cars for after they have been sitting for years(It's been over a year since VW started the buy back) in the sun(Those cars aren't protected from the sun or elements in anyway) refurb, shipping to the dock, loading on the ship and repeating the process? even at 10K CDN a car resold the money recuperated is a drop in a much larger bucket, thats if you sell all cars. They have already wrote off nearly 26 billion dollars because of diesel gate.

There are many third world nations that are trying to clean up their image (yea I know) they will simply refuse a shipment of "tainted" cars. However VW will gladly sell people in those nations new cars.

Here is my take on why they picked Victorville. The soil is perfect for aircraft storage and the weather is pretty good all year round. It's also already setup to handle large pieces of scrap.. Victorville security is excellent too. When an aircraft is put into longterm storage they are prepped, wrapped in UV resistant film and stored. VW likely needs to keep all the cars until the court cases are over, once that is over with the cars will be scrapped on site under court order

Oh for sure and i agree. I just find it incredibly frustrating how these cars are going to rot away in a desert and cant be saved in anyway.

Oh for sure and i agree. I just find it incredibly frustrating how these cars are going to rot away in a desert and cant be saved in anyway.
Kenny U Pull VW only, anything except the engine itself.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

They won't rot there. The soil has the perfect levels of pH and alkaline for metal storage. The interiors will rot to shit in the sun and paint will fade

That's not how big corporations generally work. VW has interests in pretty much every country on earth, they sell NEW cars not used cars that were involved in a scandal. This is not a case of reselling a refurb TV or demo fridge If I were a share holder I worry about the net long term, VW will make those numbers back. Truth be told they are starting too.. I'd want those cars gone ASAP and the aura gone as a share holder. The biggest hurdle by far is the US has to approve the cars for export, which they likely wont

Here is the biggest problem. what are you are going to sell those cars for after they have been sitting for years(It's been over a year since VW started the buy back) in the sun(Those cars aren't protected from the sun or elements in anyway) refurb, shipping to the dock, loading on the ship and repeating the process? even at 10K CDN a car resold the money recuperated is a drop in a much larger bucket, thats if you sell all cars. They have already wrote off nearly 26 billion dollars because of diesel gate.

There are many third world nations that are trying to clean up their image (yea I know) they will simply refuse a shipment of "tainted" cars. However VW will gladly sell people in those nations new cars.

Here is my take on why they picked Victorville. The soil is perfect for aircraft storage and the weather is pretty good all year round. It's also already setup to handle large pieces of scrap.. Victorville security is excellent too. When an aircraft is put into longterm storage they are prepped, wrapped in UV resistant film and stored. VW likely needs to keep all the cars until the court cases are over, once that is over with the cars will be scrapped on site under court order

I don't disagree with what your saying all of it is factual.

I guess my point really boils down to I wish we lived in a world where efficiency/waste mitigation was not third to bureaucracy and ass covering.

Back