Changing Coilover Kits

kdryden99

Hi Guys

I currently have a Tein Street Basis coilover kit on my car and one of the struts is shot. I got the price to rebuild one but since the kit is already quite old and to minimize my time without a car I figured it would be best to change the whole kit. The price of rebuilding what I already have would cost more than buying the same kit brand new but I was wondering if I should upgrade to the Super Streets or try a different brand completely. It's a 2004 Sentra Spec-V. Mostly street use, not really doing any lapping right now but would like to keep my drop, just lose some of the harshness as our roads are garbage as everybody knows. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

As a side question, can I take the impact wrench to the bolts holding the shock to the hub or better try with the ratchet first?

Thanks again

What is your budget?

Since i know the current setup will cost around 800$ im willing to go up to 1200-1300 as long as its worth it. I know theres ksport and godspeed systems available for my car but I ve never heard of these and not even sure if they're any good. Im under the impression that Goddpeeds are chinese garbage and that ksports might be overkill. The teins are now made in china as well so its hard to judge

ksports overkill? They are taiwan made, no overkill in here. it's a cheap coilover if you're looking to adjust the damping for below 1500$. you might wanna look into ST's. made in germany, galvanized, decent quality and the ride is not that much harsher than Tein's. They are made by KW and they are currently giving away mail-in rebates. I got a set for my mk1 rabbit for 1110$ taxes and shipping included after rebate.

Take a look at Skunk2 V2's, they used to be good. Had them on both of my Civic's. Well made, decent quality but they're really stiff

the choice is limited on SpecV's. I had one and looked into all the options numerous times, you will not find any ST, nor will you find skunk2.

Your best bet quality wise are the teins or BC.

BC offers custom valving and spring rate, if comfort is your #1 criteria, I bet you could figure something out with them to achive this goal

take a look at this, they know thei shit, they have been in the SpecV business forever, they are also racing a VQ swapped specV and they are very good.

They will be able to help you out with figuring out the right setup for you.

https://www.2j-racing.com/suspension-chassis/bc-racing-custom-spec-d-coilovers-188.html

Thanks for the input I've been following their build since day one but wasn't sure about bc coilovers but i guess they can't but i'll have to check them out and see what they're like. They are a Canadian company it seems like which I didn't know, but for some reason they don't list my car on their site. Ill have to do some digging.

Exaudi thanks for the info but as Rob Mentioned none of the ones you mention are made for my car which really limits my choices. At least I know the Ksport are definitely not an option.

Thanks for the input I've been following their build since day one but wasn't sure about bc coilovers but i guess they can't but i'll have to check them out and see what they're like. They are a Canadian company it seems like which I didn't know, but for some reason they don't list my car on their site. Ill have to do some digging.

Exaudi thanks for the info but as Rob Mentioned none of the ones you mention are made for my car which really limits my choices. At least I know the Ksport are definitely not an option.

The BC coilovers are made in Taiwan, but seem to have good feedback nonetheless and 95$ for a damper replacement in the future. How afraid should I be with all the adjustments that need to be done on the shock? One advantage of these are that ride height can be adjusted independent of spring rate and dampening force but how afraid should I be with all the added adjustements, is too much sometimes too much?

The BC coilovers are made in Taiwan, but seem to have good feedback nonetheless and 95$ for a damper replacement in the future. How afraid should I be with all the adjustments that need to be done on the shock? One advantage of these are that ride height can be adjusted independent of spring rate and dampening force but how afraid should I be with all the added adjustements, is too much sometimes too much?

Anybody on the forum use BC Racing coilovers? From what i read BC and Megan are made from same manufacturer. think i might stay with Teins

Looking at the 2j_racing site i noticed they sell ISC Coilovers. Anybody here buy those before. They seem to be close to the teins but a step up.

There's a guy mostly active on sr20-forums Facebook page named Steven Huang that make coilovers for 1991 to 2006 sentra and both infiniti G20 platforms. The company name is TDMi and they seem to be decent quality based on the review. I bought a set for my sr20de-t swapped 1993 sentra and they handle as expected. Brand choice was also problematic in my case.

BC racing is indeed a Taiwanese company like Godspeed and Megan racing which I'm pretty sure are made in the same factory but unless you want to pay extra you won't find anything made somewhere else that China or Taiwan.

I also saw that fortune auto, which is a US based company, make coilovers for that platform but I'm not sure about pricing.

TDMi does good products too, I had my 5x114.3 conversion from them back when I had my SpecV, they offer good products and customer service is very good also (well, at least 5+ years ago :p)

I checked TDMi and they only have coilovers for B13 sentras. I am leaning a bit closer to the ISC N1's. They give 5 year warranty, they come with pillowball top plates and I can adjust ride height and dampening force independently they also have 3 types of valving to chose from and you can chose your spring rates at no extra cost.

On their site they mention this for valving:

Street Comfort (custom order):
Street comfort valving is offered to obtain the closest to an OEM feel. Although it shares the same spring rates as the street sport, the valving is different. This is great for someone who drives on the street in a calm casual manner. It is also a great option for the family sedan or wagon, and is often wife approved! The harder settings on the damper adjustment range do overlap with the softer settings on the street sport, so there is always room for adjustment.

Does this mean that I can choose Street Comfort valving and still put it to the harder setting similar to the softer street sport series settings

No, TDMi make them for b13, b14, b15, p10, p11 and even recently they started making them for the pulsar gti-r too. Actually he can make any coilovers you want if you send a set of stock struts or coilovers. Go talk to Steven Huang on Facebook messenger if you want any detail, he's kind of busy and live mostly on night shift but he always return the messages.

Koni yellow avec des eibach sportline ou prokit.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

Koni yellow avec des eibach sportline ou prokit.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

I used lowering coils in the past and would never go that route again.
1. you can't control ride height you're stuck with what you got.
2. If you find the ride uncomfortable then you really don't have much in terms of adjustment. Yes you can adjust the dampening force but if you find the springs to stiff then again you're screwed

Back