Québec des années 60

ta famille est d'origine flamande ou wallonne?

My grandparents were born in Russia and somehow settled in Belgium prewar. My grandfather ended up in intelligence between the red army and other allies as he spoke 4 languages. My moms side of the family settled in Mannheim I guess in the mid 30s (great times in Germany right?) She collected prob around 1500 euros a month pension until she died, was pissed when the Deutsche Mark was dropped... One of their best friends came to Canada a few years before them was a suspected war criminal. I remember spending many days at his farm and he would visit my grandparents with 5l buckets of Honey, buckets of blueberries... He still had his Uniform and gave me a bunch of medals etc when I was younger. My mom might still have them. My grandfather and his Red Army buddies would always start shit with him at BBQs etc. It was pretty hilarious in some odd way looking back at it. Another of their friends still (Shevcenko) had Waffen SS tattoos and was proud of his unit. Would go on EPIC rants about Hitler being a moron and had the Generals been running the game it would have been different, invading France was pointless and fighting with the UK dumb.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ght-by-russia-dies-in-quebec/article24667197/

TBH most people that came over after the war lied on their papers or such. I know my grandfather added on a couple years to his birthdate.

TBH most people that came over after the war lied on their papers or such. I know my grandfather added on a couple years to his birthdate.

Similar story on my father side. Grandpa forged his signature on his brother's diploma while grandma was pissed to come here and kept receiving pension from France.

They also brought back their Simca wagon here later, so they had a unique car.

Last edited:
Similar story on my father side. Grandpa forged his signature on his brother's diploma while grandma was pissed to come here and kept receiving pension from France.

They both had good jobs in Europe my grandmother worked for Electrabel and grandfather worked for SNCB. My father said growing up they always took a vacation on the train service, the car would be loaded up on a car then unloaded at destination. He said some areas of the country and certain areas of the city still showed signs of the war. When they got to Canada their neighbors didn't want to help and weren't friendly. It's not like they spoke some odd ball language..everyone spoke french and english.

Back